Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They're fine.What do you all think of this pair??
http://www.dsw.com/shoe/lifestride+...ategory=cat20006&activeCats=cat10006,cat20006
in black
I obviously prefer rounded ends on the toes...
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
They're fine.What do you all think of this pair??
http://www.dsw.com/shoe/lifestride+...ategory=cat20006&activeCats=cat10006,cat20006
in black
I obviously prefer rounded ends on the toes...
Did you find anything tho? Can I ask where, assuming you did?My gosh.
Made the four-hour round-trip trek to the mall (oh, rural America) to find shirts and shoes yesterday.
It is stunningly difficult to find conservative, tasteful shells and shirts. Even Macy's was full of ridiculous patterns, plunging necklines, bizarre buttons in places they shouldn't be, rhinestones, crochet, the list goes on. It was kind of frustrating after all that driving.
Sorry, just had to vent. 😱
I ask cos I'm flying in from a rural area of a third world country three days before my interview which in happening in a part of America where I don't live (surprise!)
I have two days to buy a suit and I'm like, okay, ready set MAXIMIZE. So far, getting heavy props for Macy's and the Limited although I think I'm going to hit the Outlets fast and hard.
If it's the blue no-iron button-down, that's what I have and I specifically liked it because it was long enough to stay tucked in. Express's button downs are shorter, and therefore I don't like them.@pageantry
Found a nice wine-colored no-button shirt at The Limited, then a button-down (ugh) in a beautiful light blue at Banana Republic. Don't know how the latter will work out, might be returning it. I have a short torso so button-downs often look funky.
I just ordered another Ann Taylor shirt based off a recommendation in this this thread (PM if you want that link). Sadly the closest Ann Taylor is 3.5 hours away one-way so I can't try it on pre-purchase.
The one I ended up buying still feels kinda bulky and masculine. But a male friend of mine described it as "mostly attractive but a little bit marmish" so I'm taking that as a win. I think getting it tailored/taken in a bit will help.Are any other ladies having a hard time feeling feminine in a blazer? I'm not sure if I've just been trying on jackets that aren't cut well for me or what, but I just haven't felt very confident in any single one that I've tried on!
I got a Tahari suit from Macy's a while ago, and it just...fit. I don't know how, or why, but as soon as I tried it I had to buy it.I have two suits which I bought at malls: one from the Nordstrom Halogen line (navy skirt set) and one pantsuit from Macy's Tahari line. The Tahari suit fits sooooo well, I definitely recommend the line!
Stay away from Talbot's!!
I went there yesterday and this is how my conversation with the manager went:
Me: "Hi! I'm looking for a pant or skirt suit"
Manager: "Um...for you?"
Me: "Yes."
Manager: "What kind of suit?"
Me: "Uhh..a pant or skirt suit. Preferably not black."
Manager: "Well this is the women's section, so we won't have anything for you here. You can try the junior's section at Macy's."
LOL okay, I may be petite, but I am 24 years old! 🤣
I left Talbot's empty-handed but found a great deal on a set at Ann Taylor. They're having a phenomenal sale right now and their outlets are top-notch! The associates were incredibly helpful with choosing the right fabric for the occasion, too. Highly recommend!
Yeah, their stuff tends to be more mature, but for a young woman, particularly on who is petite, a 'more mature' look is a good thing.As we prepare for another interview season I would like to ask for at least the following:
No cocktail dresses or rings. No sequins or bustiers.
No topsiders or flipflops. I should not be able to comment on your pedicure.
No matter how pretty your arms are, wear a jacket.
No matter how pretty your bosom, this is not the time to show it.
No chandelier earrings.
No appliques.
No nail art.
No jeans or corduroys.
Take rings out of your lip, septum and eyebrow.
Leave your parents, siblings and SO at home (or at least don't bring them to the interview).
Leave dolls and stuffed animals at home too.
Hair color found in nature.
Remove chewing gum before the interview.
If I see none of these this year, it will be an improvement over last year.
Maybe I'm way off base, but I would consider that a bright color of red.Would you consider red hair an "unnatural" color? To clarify, I do dye my hair red, and it is not my natural hair color. However, most of my family has red hair, and it is not a "bright" color. It's essentially this shade of red: http://cdn1.loxabeauty.com/wp/wp-co...ulgirl-5946833ea09e2105396b449382bdd5ac_h.jpg
Furthermore, I wear glasses daily. Should I consider wearing contacts to look more professional? Or are glasses alright to wear?
Red that can be found on someone's head in nature is fine.Would you consider red hair an "unnatural" color? To clarify, I do dye my hair red, and it is not my natural hair color. However, most of my family has red hair, and it is not a "bright" color. It's essentially this shade of red: http://cdn1.loxabeauty.com/wp/wp-co...ulgirl-5946833ea09e2105396b449382bdd5ac_h.jpg
Furthermore, I wear glasses daily. Should I consider wearing contacts to look more professional? Or are glasses alright to wear?
Red that can be found on someone's head in nature is fine.
Glasses are fine.
To me, these look "trendy."Thank you for your prompt response!
Would you consider these shoes professional? I can't decide if the strap looks unprofessional, but I have oddly-sized feet and the strap provides more support. http://www.dsw.com/shoe/kelly+.and....ategory=cat20006&activeCats=cat10006,cat20006
... those are really cute and I am absolutely not a heels/flats person.Thank you for your prompt response!
Would you consider these shoes professional? I can't decide if the strap looks unprofessional, but I have oddly-sized feet and the strap provides more support. http://www.dsw.com/shoe/kelly+.and....ategory=cat20006&activeCats=cat10006,cat20006
I think those shoes are very cute, but might be a little too casual. From what I read on here, a little heel is better, more professional. However, if you are tall, I think flats (maybe without a pattern and with a little pointy nose) would look great.Would these shoes be okay for an interview: http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/en_US/women/shoes/flats/c/111/FROVIEL/p/33553699-96#
And would a simple button-down collared shirt like this be alright with a blazer and dress pants: http://www.express.com/clothing/wom...irt/pro/8501651/cat360025?crossSellId=8541108
I think those shoes are very cute, but might be a little too casual. From what I read on here, a little heel is better, more professional. However, if you are tall, I think flats (maybe without a pattern and with a little pointy nose) would look great.
I would totally wear flats if I was not 5 feet tall lol.
What color are your blazer and pants? I think it's good to add some color 🙂
Heels are not difficult to walk if you get the right pair. A small heel looks much more professional than flats.Yeah, I thought about wearing heels but I personally am not familiar with wearing them. I was planning on wearing flats the entire time for comfort reasons. And my blazer and pants are black.
Hair should be pulled back from face. I will probably pull just pin the top half back, but if it is an exceptionally warm day, or a school where the tour part is first, I will just pull it all into a low ponytail.Can we wear nice loafers with pant suits? I'm having a hard time finding a reasonable pair of pumps in the right oxblood color to go with my nice bag.
And what about hair style? Should we leave it down? Put it up?
crap I forgot about getting flats for the tour
So most just keep their heels on for the tour?You don't need flats for the tour unless you can't walk through a few buildings in heels - even low ones.
Flats are not the best shoe choice in general, and are only good in certain circumstances:
If you can't wear heels, wear a pants suit. Pants mitigate the negative aspects of flats.
- You are very tall and feel uncomfortable in heels. If you're tall and can wear heels, DO IT!
- You have foot and/or back problems that make flats medically necessary.
And if you must wear flats, make sure they're dressy -- structured, polished, not wedgies, not gathered or draped.
I would think so. A lot of girls can wear 5-6 inch stilettos while dancing for 4 hours at a club. 2 inch comfort pumps should be bearable for an hour.So most just keep their heels on for the tour?
@DokterMom What about a nice, shiny pair of loafers?
So most just keep their heels on for the tour?
I don't find heels uncomfortable. I just find smashing my face into the ground when I fall to be uncomfortable. 😛I would think so. A lot of girls can wear 5-6 inch stilettos while dancing for 4 hours at a club. 2 inch comfort pumps should be bearable for an hour.
Relevant--me last year interview outfitsIt would depend on the shoe. The word 'loafers' implies something comfortable and casual, and the vast majority of shoes called 'loafers' would not be interview appropriate. If your loafers look like these,
![]()
your other shoe had better look like this:
![]()
These would be appropriate:
You had a boot and still wore a heel on the other side? You rock!!
Interviews can make a lot of difference. By treating it seriously, one can be rewarded rather generously, anecdotally speaking. I didn't even get invited to half of the schools, but the ones that did were really kind to me afterwards.You had a boot and still wore a heel on the other side? You rock!!
Are ruffles like this shirt has acceptable? http://www.jcpenney.com/worthington...et=UTF-8&colorizedImg=DP0515201517020337M.tif
Alright! I've bought this set in navy blue:
Jacket http://www.thelimited.com/product/collection-2-button-jacket/25168942500019.html
Dress http://www.thelimited.com/product/collection-v-back-sheath-dress/31418822500019.html
Unfortunately they were out of my size so I ordered online.
Thoughts? If this isn't dressy enough for the interview I can definitely use this at work 😀
Would you feel comfortable using bobby pins or something similar to pull at least the sides back? I don't think the issue is with wearing it down, per say. It's more a concern of it falling in your face, blocking your eyes, etc. Conversely, if you're wearing it down and curled, etc., I think that comes across as ~overly styled~ and not appropriate for the occasion.We've already discussed putting up tailbone length hair. What about long hair to say elbows? I feel prettier with it down and am only confident about putting it up in a simple bun otherwise.
My plan is to get it trimmed beforehand and then it may be more like, uhhhh... Breastlength? Once I applied for a fairly high level job at an investment bank and was advised by other women (who saw my picture) to wear it down. But there's no doubt this is more of a hippie length right now.
Well, I don't have bangs. I wear it clean and straight, and because it's so long it doesn't get in my face, although I like to wear it so it covers my ears. My hair's too fine for bobby pins so I tend to keep the layers long and just pull it back when necessary. But most people think it looks nice down.Would you feel comfortable using bobby pins or something similar to pull at least the sides back? I don't think the issue is with wearing it down, per say. It's more a concern of it falling in your face, blocking your eyes, etc. Conversely, if you're wearing it down and curled, etc., I think that comes across as ~overly styled~ and not appropriate for the occasion.
We've already discussed putting up tailbone length hair. What about long hair to say elbows? I feel prettier with it down and am only confident about putting it up in a simple bun otherwise.
My plan is to get it trimmed beforehand and then it may be more like, uhhhh... Breastlength? Once I applied for a fairly high level job at an investment bank and was advised by other women (who saw my picture) to wear it down. But there's no doubt this is more of a hippie length right now.
Low pony looks awesome on long hair.I have almost waist-length hair but I'm going for the big chop in September O.O Mostly because I don't feel like dealing with it anymore, LOL! Also being super short I kind of resemble Cousin It when it gets in my face 😛 My only concern about leaving it down is it becoming unkempt as the day goes on. I'm debating wearing it down too - I feel like I look much better with it down, but I also don't want to look messy. I think I'd either do a half-back style or a low pony.
Ugh, I think it's schoolmarm bun or long hippie for me! Or a whole new hairstyle that may well DESTROY ME.I have almost waist-length hair but I'm going for the big chop in September O.O Mostly because I don't feel like dealing with it anymore, LOL! Also being super short I kind of resemble Cousin It when it gets in my face 😛 My only concern about leaving it down is it becoming unkempt as the day goes on. I'm debating wearing it down too - I feel like I look much better with it down, but I also don't want to look messy. I think I'd either do a half-back style or a low pony.
Haha omw to get a haircut right now because I also don't want to deal with the long hair!I have almost waist-length hair but I'm going for the big chop in September O.O Mostly because I don't feel like dealing with it anymore, LOL! Also being super short I kind of resemble Cousin It when it gets in my face 😛 My only concern about leaving it down is it becoming unkempt as the day goes on. I'm debating wearing it down too - I feel like I look much better with it down, but I also don't want to look messy. I think I'd either do a half-back style or a low pony.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.