Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Guyz, Saks is having their "thank you" 25% off a lot of stuff sale online.

@Winged Scapula this includes most of their sophia websters :D :D :D
Thanks for the tip… I'll take a look! To be fair, however, Saks Fifth Avenue is probably too expensive for most of the students here.

One of the reasons I was picking things from Ann Taylor is because they were having an extra 40% off full price and 60% off sale items which brings many of the blouses down to $20-$40.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the tip… I'll take a look! To be fair, however, Saks Fifth Avenue is probably too expensive for most of the students here.

One of the reasons I was picking things from Ann Taylor is because they were having an extra 40% off full price and 60% off sale items which brings many of the blouses down to $20-$40.

Lol- true. However Saks does sell Theory for anyone wanting a suit like one of the other posters had

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol- true. However Saks does sell Theory for anyone wanting a suit like one of the other posters had

So does Nordstrom's Rack for anyone lucky enough to live near one of those.

FYI, in my opinion pin tucks are fine - very subdued as detailing goes. And V-necks are OK to so long as they don't show cleavage.

The point about looking in the 'older ladies' section is really important. The styles that are appropriate for business wear are not carried in the Junior's department.

And while I normally greatly prefer silk to polyester, for a simple interview blouse, polyester has the advantage of being less wrinkle-prone (good if you're traveling), and 'rinse in the sink and drip dryable' if you need it to be. Plus, it tends to be less likely to show wet armpits -- which may come in handy!

Reactions: 1 users
Pics or it didn't happen!
LOL ... well I haven't purchased them yet but if I do I will definitely post a picture.

In the interim I have these which are also on sale at Saks:
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1444842402.133911.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Thanks for the suggestions @Winged Scapula, those are helping me with my new search.

Where is it that you guys are shopping that you can't find simple blouses?

Well, I was trying to minimize costs, so I hit up TJMaxx, Ross, Nordstrom Rack, and GoodWill every week. Like @Cotterpin said, there's not a whole lot in these stores that is appropriate and/or not-librarian-vibey. Lots of well-made blouses are ruined by metal accents, wooden bead embellishments, and fluffy flower things. I guess I should just spring for some stuff from Ann Taylor and Loft.

So, I've got one of these handsome guys on my leg (http://www.dme-direct.com/media/cat...27136e95/b/l/bledsoe-adjustafit-lc-boot_1.jpg).
And I now have upcoming interviews, both in the boot and right after I get out of it (but will still be in a cloth brace).

Aside from being an interesting conversation piece, and potentially rendering any sartorial choices I make insignificant, any ideas on how to make this boot still look professional?

I won't be able to wear heels with it (or for the next year at all due to multiple ankle surgeries), so slightly heeled oxfords? (http://www.thefryecompany.com/erin-oxford/d/74299C12700?CategoryId=123) flats? my incredibly busted up pair of flip flops?

Skirt suit? Pant suit? Yoga pants and a bedazzled blazer from Forever 21?

Also - to any adcoms/interviewers, have you ever interviewed someone with a cast or boot - did you care?

Pics or it didn't happen!
Do you like the silver with pink poms or the black with purple?

I like the latter shoe but the former pom-poms better. I have been telling myself I will wear the black ones more often but let's face it, when you have that many shoes, it's not like either of them will get worn frequently.

Thanks for the suggestions @Winged Scapula, those are helping me with my new search.

Well, I was trying to minimize costs, so I hit up TJMaxx, Ross, Nordstrom Rack, and GoodWill every week. Like @Cotterpin said, there's not a whole lot in these stores that is appropriate and/or not-librarian-vibey. Lots of well-made blouses are ruined by metal accents, wooden bead embellishments, and fluffy flower things. I guess I should just spring for some stuff from Ann Taylor and Loft.
I understand however you can find sales at AT and the Loft frequently and the prices are about the same as TJ Maxx or Ross.

Sometimes H&M and Kohls has appropriate things as well.

Do you like the silver with pink poms or the black with purple?

I like the latter shoe but the former pom-poms better. I have been telling myself I will wear the black ones more often but let's face it, when you have that many shoes, it's not like either of them will get worn frequently.
Oh, the silver, definitely. If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

Edit: I'm wearing these to my interviews: http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524446851630&sre=PDPR4

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I've got one of these handsome guys on my leg (http://www.dme-direct.com/media/cat...27136e95/b/l/bledsoe-adjustafit-lc-boot_1.jpg).
And I now have upcoming interviews, both in the boot and right after I get out of it (but will still be in a cloth brace).

Aside from being an interesting conversation piece, and potentially rendering any sartorial choices I make insignificant, any ideas on how to make this boot still look professional?

I won't be able to wear heels with it (or for the next year at all due to multiple ankle surgeries), so slightly heeled oxfords? (http://www.thefryecompany.com/erin-oxford/d/74299C12700?CategoryId=123) flats? my incredibly busted up pair of flip flops?

Also - to any adcoms/interviewers, have you ever interviewed someone with a cast or boot - did you care?

I think a nice pair of flats would be appropriate and sensible for that situation. You could go for a kitten heel if you really want to. I'd stay away from the oxfords. If I was in a boot, I would want to wear pants, unless the boot was so cumbersome that pants wouldn't fit over it. I think pant suit vs. skirt suit is totally up to you. This should not affect your admissions decisions at all (unless you weren't joking about the flip flops and yoga pants ;))

I'm in an interesting situation ... I've gone to a few med school interviews with one of my good friends. She didn't want to buy a suit so she wore a fitted black blazer (tight in the arms, 3/4 length sleeves, fabric on the reverse of the cuffs) and a skirt that is very form fitting (shows off her butt, etc.) but also falls several inches above her knees (no pantyhose).

As someone who bought a traditional skirt suit for my interviews, I was taken aback by her outfit. It's not awful compared to some of the other things I've seen (at least it's black and resembles a suit), but it's not a very professional look. She has an interview at a very prestigious school coming up (most likely her last interview) and we're about the same size so I'm considering offering to let her wear my suit. However, it doesn't feel like it's my place to suggest that she needs to wear something more conservative. At the same time, I'm concerned that her attire might hurt her. Right now, I'm leaning towards keeping my mouth shut.

FWIW, even she commented that she'll need to a buy a real suit for residency interviews.

I'm in an interesting situation ... I've gone to a few med school interviews with one of my good friends. She didn't want to buy a suit so she wore a fitted black blazer (tight in the arms, 3/4 length sleeves, fabric on the reverse of the cuffs) and a skirt that is very form fitting (shows off her butt, etc.) but also falls several inches above her knees (no pantyhose).

As someone who bought a traditional skirt suit for my interviews, I was taken aback by her outfit. It's not awful compared to some of the other things I've seen (at least it's black and resembles a suit), but it's not a very professional look. She has an interview at a very prestigious school coming up (most likely her last interview) and we're about the same size so I'm considering offering to let her wear my suit. However, it doesn't feel like it's my place to suggest that she needs to wear something more conservative. At the same time, I'm concerned that her attire might hurt her. Right now, I'm leaning towards keeping my mouth shut.

FWIW, even she commented that she'll need to a buy a real suit for residency interviews.
Could you get her to look at this thread?

2/3 of my IAs had women dressed completely unprofessionally. One particular session was both jaw-dropping and facepalm worthy; short skirts, jackets that were suadish in material and crop style, thick gold zippers, jumpers with polka dots.. Overall, unclassy or average business casual wear. If it gave me a bad impression, I can only wonder what the committee thought (if they did)

Reactions: 2 users
The best thing about blouses like those that @Winged Scapula posted above is that you can wear them again and again for regular work wear. These are all the kinds of blouses I currently wear to work (obviously more casual, not with a suit), so the money is a greater investment in my opinion and isn't just going toward an outfit you'll only wear 5 times.

This is the medical world; nobody will judge the boot. I think you should just own it. Wear a skirt suit so that you don't have to try to fit anything over it and then maybe find a nice oxford with a heel that will balance the height of the boot so that you aren't limping around as much. Good luck and take good care of that ankle!

As @bee17 said, a kitten heel would be good, if you still wanted to go with heels. I would not usually recommend a wedge heel for interview attire, but in your case I am sure that people would be forgiving and maybe even impressed that you're sticking it out in heels! :)

This is the medical world; nobody will judge the boot. I think you should just own it. Wear a skirt suit so that you don't have to try to fit anything over it and then maybe find a nice oxford with a heel that will balance the height of the boot so that you aren't limping around as much. Good luck and take good care of that ankle!

Ahh thanks. I actually already own those oxfords, and the heel height matches pretty well, so I'm thinking of just sticking with them.
I appreciate the kitten heel suggestions, but I unfortunately can't wear anything with even that much of an angle :/. (woo! OCD and cartilage allograft!)

So tucking a pant suit into the boot would be a no-go?
I realize that there's pretty much no way to hide the massive walking boot, but I was considering a pant suit so that I could better hide the cloth brace that I'll have to wear after I get the big boot off end of Nov.
At least it's nice and black. There would have been no way of hiding the massive surgical splint I just got off (giant ace bandages and miles of white cotton batting - my leg looked like the Stay-Pufft marshmallow man)

Could you get her to look at this thread?

I don't think hinting at it will work. She said that she doesn't think it looks trashy ... and it doesn't, but it's still not very professional. Even when I started talking about pantyhose, she seemed completely unconcerned about not wearing them herself.

2/3 of my IAs had women dressed completely unprofessionally. One particular session was both jaw-dropping and facepalm worthy; short skirts, jackets that were suadish in material and crop style, thick gold zippers, jumpers with polka dots.. Overall, unclassy or average business casual wear. If it gave me a bad impression, I can only wonder what the committee thought (if they did)

Please tell me that JHU was the one interview where you didn't see these things.

Ahh thanks. I actually already own those oxfords, and the heel height matches pretty well, so I'm thinking of just sticking with them.
I appreciate the kitten heel suggestions, but I unfortunately can't wear anything with even that much of an angle :/. (woo! OCD and cartilage allograft!)

I realize that there's pretty much no way to hide the massive walking boot, but I was considering a pant suit so that I could better hide the cloth brace that I'll have to wear after I get the big boot off end of Nov.
At least it's nice and black. There would have been no way of hiding the massive surgical splint I just got off (giant ace bandages and miles of white cotton batting - my leg looked like the Stay-Pufft marshmallow man)

I think a skirt would just be more convenient with the boot. Wouldn't it be uncomfortable to stuff a whole pant leg into the boot? But once you're in the cloth brace, if the pants fit over it smoothly, then that's probably the way to go. I know it's expensive, but you can probably buy suiting separates so that you can have a skirt and pants that match the same jacket. Then you can switch things up as needed.

Please tell me that JHU was the one interview where you didn't see these things.

I think a skirt would just be more convenient with the boot. Wouldn't it be uncomfortable to stuff a whole pant leg into the boot? But once you're in the cloth brace, if the pants fit over it smoothly, then that's probably the way to go. I know it's expensive, but you can probably buy suiting separates so that you can have a skirt and pants that match the same jacket. Then you can switch things up as needed.
Indeed, JHU was the best dressed. Although, I saw some questionable suit colors (one was creme), but it looked still looked sharp and professional.

Ahh gotcha. From a comfort perspective, pants are almost better because boot-on-nylons is super slippery (there's also a decent wrap-and-stuff technique to make it lie flat and minimize the itchy wrinkles). I'm just worried it'll look weird.

I hadn't even considered separates. That might be the way to go if I can find something that matches.

The best thing about blouses like those that @Winged Scapula posted above is that you can wear them again and again for regular work wear. These are all the kinds of blouses I currently wear to work (obviously more casual, not with a suit), so the money is a greater investment in my opinion and isn't just going toward an outfit you'll only wear 5 times.
Yes because remember when you do clinical rotations you are expected to dress professionally. For women that means a nice blouse with trousers or skirt so buying something that you like and you can wear again multiple times is not a bad idea.

Oh, the silver, definitely. If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

Edit: I'm wearing these to my interviews: http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524446851630&sre=PDPR4
I guess I also see it as a design misstep. My sense is that the cooler silver color shoe matches better with the cool purple and green pom-poms and that the pink ones go better with the black.

I think you should go for the pink pumps with the "Boss Lady" plaques. Show 'em what they're in for!

Yes because remember when you do clinical rotations you are expected to dress professionally. For women that means a nice blouse with trousers or skirt so buying something that you like and you can wear again multiple times is not a bad idea.

Why can't we all get together as a profession and agree to always, always just wear scrubs?

I would not tuck the pants into the boot. I think that sounds like it would just look ridiculous.

If you are choosing an appropriate wider leg trouser pant it should glide over the boot. While I'm not a fan of the Oxford it could work, as could a wedge or a flat depending on the length of the pant and how much lift you need on the other side.

Honestly don't worry about this; we see them all the time.

A makeup tip that I use frequently when I sleep like **** and look like **** the next morning, that may help some of you on interview days or any day really:

Use the undereye corrector/concealer that you normally use, and with a thin brush, put some on in a line directly under your eyebrows. Blend in. Put a dot of the same stuff on the inner V corner of the eye, blend again.

Helps you look more "awake"

If anyone is looking for a 3-piece navy theory suit for a fraction of the price :)
https://poshmark.com/listing/Theory-suit-55cf797701930c1cfd00499b

@pageantry You look great and I think you have inspired many!
I endorse this message! Cool website, too!

BTW, if people have time/opportunity (I didn't), check your local consignment shops. I've found a complete, beautiful Theory outfit at Goodwill in the past for like $20, although that is certainly more likely in NYC.

The obvious boot buys you almost a free pass on shoes. Something nice in black. I'm more with the 'skirt' crowd because if your pants hide the boot, you'll just have a leg that doesn't look quite right and walk funny. So rock the boot and wear a nice flat-ish shoe.

Once you don't need the boot - but still can't wear 'appropriate' dress shoes - I'd actually recommend going with the boot anyway. Why? Because it makes it obvious why your shoes aren't appropriate. Inappropriate shoes with no visible reason are just inappropriate shoes.

Why can't we all get together as a profession and agree to always, always just wear scrubs?
Uh because they're ugly and unflattering and nothing ever stays in the breast pocket?

As someone who wears scrubs for a living 2 1/2 days a week, I can tell you I relish the opportunity to get out of them and look a little (lot) nicer. The patients enjoy it too (literature to support that).

Reactions: 3 users
Uh because they're ugly and unflattering and nothing ever stays in the breast pocket?

As someone who wears scrubs for a living 2 1/2 days a week, I can tell you I relish the opportunity to get out of them and look a little (lot) nicer. The patients enjoy it too (literature to support that).

Whatever. I look fabulous in scrubs. They're sooooooooo comfortable.

Whatever. I look fabulous in scrubs. They're sooooooooo comfortable.
You must have some secret that you should share as I've never heard anyone claim they look fabulous in scrubs.

As a matter fact I often hear them referred to as "visual birth control."

In regards to comfort while I admit that some of the things I wear are not as comfortable physically psychologically knowing I look better makes me feel more comfortable.

But to each their own, hopefully you end up in a specialty like Anesthesia or emergency medicine where you can get away with wearing them every day.

I don't think hinting at it will work. She said that she doesn't think it looks trashy ... and it doesn't, but it's still not very professional. Even when I started talking about pantyhose, she seemed completely unconcerned about not wearing them herself.
So let me ask you: what would happen if you sat her down and explained your concerns? Does she not notice how different she looks from others? Or does she think that her style is better?

This thread is so helpful! I can't wait to get an interview invite so I can buy a suit.... One question I have as I peruse the shops is that I'm not quite sure what is charcoal colored and what is too light of gray for winter. Thoughts? Is charcoal really a very dark gray?

Only a man would design a breast pocket -- What woman would put something there?

This thread is so helpful! I can't wait to get an interview invite so I can buy a suit.... One question I have as I peruse the shops is that I'm not quite sure what is charcoal colored and what is too light of gray for winter. Thoughts? Is charcoal really a very dark gray?

How to describe it? There are so many Shades of Grey... :smack:
OK - If it's light enough to be nail polish, it's too light. If it's dark enough to be eyeliner, it's fine.
If it's light enough that you could wear it in the summer, it's too light.
OK - using SDN's formatting bar -- On the underlined A above, the first grey is too light. The second is OK. Third is really charcoal.

You must have some secret that you should share as I've never heard anyone claim they look fabulous in scrubs.

As a matter fact I often hear them referred to as "visual birth control."

In regards to comfort while I admit that some of the things I wear are not as comfortable physically psychologically knowing I look better makes me feel more comfortable.

But to each their own, hopefully you end up in a specialty like Anesthesia or emergency medicine where you can get away with wearing them every day.

See, I have the opposite philosophy of looking good. I think it all comes from the confidence and the way you feel. So since I feel extremely relaxed and confident in scrubs, I think the best parts of my personality shine through and I feel beautiful. When I get dressed up, I feel kinda phony and like I'm trying too hard. Less pretty.

See, I have the opposite philosophy of looking good. I think it all comes from the confidence and the way you feel. So since I feel extremely relaxed and confident in scrubs, I think the best parts of my personality shine through and I feel beautiful. When I get dressed up, I feel kinda phony and like I'm trying too hard. Less pretty.

Of course.

I feel most confident and beautiful in fancy shoes and a nice wrap dress or trousers; I've always dressed that way (as did my mother and grandmother) so it feels normal and comfortable to me. I feel sloppy in scrubs and the paper cap ain't doing my longish hair any favors.

YMMV. :)

Would it be advantageous to buy a top in a color other than white?
Furthermore, are any colors out of bonds?

I definitely feel the same way. I'd much rather wear yoga pants and a sweatshirt than anything else. In dressy clothes, I feel like someone else, awkward and uncomfortable.

Only a man would design a breast pocket -- What woman would put something there?

How to describe it? There are so many Shades of Grey... :smack:
OK - If it's light enough to be nail polish, it's too light. If it's dark enough to be eyeliner, it's fine.
If it's light enough that you could wear it in the summer, it's too light.
OK - using SDN's formatting bar -- On the underlined A above, the first grey is too light. The second is OK. Third is really charcoal.

Hah! That was supremely helpful. Thanks. You nailed exactly what I was struggling with.... SO many shades of gray :)

Would it be advantageous to buy a top in a color other than white?
Furthermore, are any colors out of bonds?
Well if you're anything like me and eventually stain anything that's white, then yes you may find it advantageous to have a back up to wear on interviews.

Really the only out of bounds colors would be neon brights. Pick something something that goes well with your suit and skin tone.

Last edited:
You guys, I hope you won't find this inappropriate, but this thread has helped me so much I just wanted to let you know: just got accepted to my top two interviews. UC Davis (and I'm OOS) and OUWB--the latter with a full scholarship for all four years.

Fwiw, my MCAT was only 31.

So I'm serious when I say: if anyone needs a suit...?

<3 you all and thank you for such amazing support.

Reactions: 17 users
You guys, I hope you won't find this inappropriate, but this thread has helped me so much I just wanted to let you know: just got accepted to my top two interviews. UC Davis (and I'm OOS) and OUWB--the latter with a full scholarship for all four years.

AHH congratulations! If you decide to go to Davis, you are going to LOVE it. I've been fundraising for their hospital/ working with them for years and it is an incredible place, though I might be a tad biased. :D Congrats again!

Reactions: 3 users

I don't need a suit but that burgundy purse.... ;) Kidding, of course, congratulations!!

I don't need a suit but that burgundy purse.... ;) Kidding, of course, congratulations!!
Dude. Aldo. $50. It's already falling to bits. I'd fling it your way if it wouldn't disintegrate midflight.

Well if you're anything like me and eventually stain anything that's white, then yes you may find it advantageous to have a back up to wear on interviews.

Really the only out of bounds colors would be neon brights. Pick something something that goes well with your suit and skin tone.

Im exactly like that hahaha im so afraid to spill when they feed us at interviews.