Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im exactly like that hahaha im so afraid to spill when they feed us at interviews.

I'm such a messy eater, lol, they gave us chicken wraps at my last interview, I actively had to work at not getting the contents everywhere. Also another reason to avoid low cut tops - I'm the type who'll end up with food falling into my shirt.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations!!! You deserve it :D best wishes for lots and lots of success!
Thank you very much! I will invest in my own pair of diaphanous harem pants now right after I pay for all these tequila shots.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You guys, I hope you won't find this inappropriate, but this thread has helped me so much I just wanted to let you know: just got accepted to my top two interviews. UC Davis (and I'm OOS) and OUWB--the latter with a full scholarship for all four years.

Fwiw, my MCAT was only 31.

So I'm serious when I say: if anyone needs a suit...?

<3 you all and thank you for such amazing support.
That's wonderful news, congratulations!!

This is proof that a beautiful suit and burgundy accessories can overcome an average MCAT score! LO

So which one are you leaning towards?

Reactions: 1 users
Well, we consider who is wearing those scrubs... Note the cropped sleeves, fitted waist, which also accentuates the hips...
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_untitled(1).png

That's wonderful news, congratulations!!

This is proof that a beautiful suit and burgundy accessories can overcome an average MCAT score! LO

So which one are you leaning towards?
Exactly. Colored blouse is apparently optional, tho! :)

And, I don't know yet! OUWB gives scholarships with acceptance while Davis does after, so I think I have to find out what the terms are from OUWB and what Davis might offer. Both schools really impressed me, for various reasons.

I think I'm going to need to get an advisor, tbh. Crowdsourcing my entire medical career at this rate...

Well, we consider who is wearing those scrubs... Note the cropped sleeves, fitted waist, which also accentuates the hips...View attachment 197083
I've never seen hospital issue scrubs with "cropped sleeves" or a "fitted waist". They're all baggy and def not form fitting.

You guys, I hope you won't find this inappropriate, but this thread has helped me so much I just wanted to let you know: just got accepted to my top two interviews. UC Davis (and I'm OOS) and OUWB--the latter with a full scholarship for all four years.

Fwiw, my MCAT was only 31.

So I'm serious when I say: if anyone needs a suit...?

<3 you all and thank you for such amazing support.

If I could like this more than once, I would! :soexcited::clap::banana: Congratulations!

TWO things that would be lovely if you all could share your opinions on...

1) I went to a "prep day" sort of program at the prestigious UNC pharmacy school, and one of the admissions faculty made a comment about hose: DON'T WEAR THEM (because basically.. they're out of style/old-fashioned?) After reading through these forums --I'm scared NOT to wear them with my skirt suit! I hate hose, so I was happy not to wear them, however, will this make me look unprofessional?

2) I bought a darker tan suit top at The Limited (it's so different, so pretty, not unprofessional looking at all), but they did not have a matching skirt so I opted to wear my black pencil skirt with it and an off-white satin top with a bow in the middle. I'll post a picture but I feel like it looks a lot better on. Anyway --I've read on here a "suit" cannot be 2 different colors... is this an anal rule? Or one I should follow? I do have a straight black suit but would love to stand out this way, if it is in a professional way!

Thoughts on either/both are greatly appreciated!

Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 11.25.41 AM.png

TWO things that would be lovely if you all could share your opinions on...

1) I went to a "prep day" sort of program at the prestigious UNC pharmacy school, and one of the admissions faculty made a comment about hose: DON'T WEAR THEM (because basically.. they're out of style/old-fashioned?) After reading through these forums --I'm scared NOT to wear them with my skirt suit! I hate hose, so I was happy not to wear them, however, will this make me look unprofessional?

2) I bought a darker tan suit top at The Limited (it's so different, so pretty, not unprofessional looking at all), but they did not have a matching skirt so I opted to wear my black pencil skirt with it and an off-white satin top with a bow in the middle. I'll post a picture but I feel like it looks a lot better on. Anyway --I've read on here a "suit" cannot be 2 different colors... is this an anal rule? Or one I should follow? I do have a straight black suit but would love to stand out this way, if it is in a professional way!

Thoughts on either/both are greatly appreciated!

View attachment 197091

The color and color mismatch of the suit makes it look too informal for a professional interview. IMO.

That was Pharm school. This is Med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never seen hospital issue scrubs with "cropped sleeves" or a "fitted waist". They're all baggy and def not form fitting.

Well then you need to talk to Purchasing and straighten them out. I just spent the morning looking at Med/Surg nurses and their choices concerning the fit of their scrubs. I must say, rather pleasing. Maybe it's a Texas thang...

Well then you need to talk to Purchasing and straighten them out. I just spent the morning looking at Med/Surg nurses and their choices concerning the fit of their scrubs. I must say, rather pleasing. Maybe it's a Texas thang...
LOL...glad you're enjoying it. I think it's a NURSE thang not a surgeon or Texas thang.

I'm not sure they're interested in having different scrubs for men and women for the OR. Too much trouble. I'm not sure I care about what my scrubs look like under the gown and gloves. When I ask for things, it's usually expensive tools; I think I'd be the laughing stock of the department if I asked for form fitting scrubs. Getting XS was tough enough.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, OR scrubs here are those ill-fitting, thin fabric, sea foam/grayish in color, with the hospital name on them. They do not flatter either gender, especially when y'all wear them tucked in-- not seen in Grey's Anatomy for sure.

By the way, here ED docs and Medicine attendings wear the same navy color scrubs as the nurses (when we wear them), good for morale we're told.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, quick question:

I have a navy suit I haven't worn yet, planning to in the next month, because I couldn't find any peach/salmony-tinged blouses. (damn fashion seasons) Do you think the maroon / burgundy route is too dark for a Nov/Dec interview or does it flow into seasons well?

Thanks!

Yeah, OR scrubs here are those ill-fitting, thin fabric, sea foam/grayish in color, with the hospital name on them. They do not flatter either gender, especially when y'all wear them tucked in-- not seen in Grey's Anatomy for sure.

By the way, here ED docs and Medicine attendings wear the same navy color scrubs as the nurses (when we wear them), good for morale we're told.
Yes ours are that same gray-ish light green color

In regards to tucking in the shirt, that's how you can tell a surgeon because this is appropriate OR attire: shirt, badge and strings tucked in. I'd argue that tucking is more flattering than leaving them hanging out.

i've never seen Grey's Anatomy but I'm sure like most things on television, it's fairly off base.

Good for whose morale? Given that patients can't tell who is providing their care why are we making it more difficult for them? At any rate, topic for another thread.

I have a navy suit I haven't worn yet, planning to in the next month, because I couldn't find any peach/salmony-tinged blouses. (damn fashion seasons) Do you think the maroon / burgundy route is too dark for a Nov/Dec interview or does it flow into seasons well?

Thanks!
Uhm... maroon is a fall/winter color and Nov/Dec is fall/winter so...

Thanks!

Burgundy blouse and navy suit should be fine fall through winter. Wouldn't do it on a warm spring day

In case I have not previously mentioned it, neoprene dresses are not considered appropriate interview attire.
Threader (?) earrings that are dangling to the shoulder are also distracting and not a good choice.
That's it for this week! It was mostly the men that arrived in disturbing choices.

In case I have not previously mentioned it, neoprene dresses are not considered appropriate interview attire.
Threader (?) earrings that are dangling to the shoulder are also distracting and not a good choice.
That's it for this week! It was mostly the men that arrived in disturbing choices.

Neoprene dresses?! Shut up. Someone did not wear that to an interview.....did they?!

What do you do if you see someone in an obviously very inappropriate outfit? Mention it to them? Say nothing? Silently judge?

Neoprene dresses?! Shut up. Someone did not wear that to an interview.....did they?!

What do you do if you see someone in an obviously very inappropriate outfit? Mention it to them? Say nothing? Silently judge?
Yes, she did.
I said nothing.
We are supposed to judge.

Reactions: 5 users
Have you ever said something to an interviewee about an outfit?
Tangentially.
"Wow, I've never seen shoes like that before..."
I worry that they think it's an endorsement, though and I don't really want them to continue.

I have asked men if they left their jacket in the car.
They never have.

Reactions: 11 users

I'd love to hear about the disturbing things men wore this week, pretty please. :)

I'd love to hear about the disturbing things men wore this week, pretty please. :)
One was so bad that I will lose anonymity if I post right away.
Let's give it another week so that they have gone to a few more places in them!

Reactions: 6 users
Colleague, I showed my wife your post, and Google imaged "neoprene dress", and she doesn't believe you!!

The dress looks good for swimming with great white sharks, not so good for med school.

Colleague, I showed my wife your post, and Google imaged "neoprene dress", and she doesn't believe you!!

The dress looks good for swimming with great white sharks, not so good for med school.
Tell her we have already interviewed two such swimmers so far!

Such a shame - the neoprene... I could actually imagine the fabric working really well in an elegant, tailored, not too tight sheath dress -- But then, you'd have never noticed it was neoprene. And yeah, probably not the right place.

One was so bad that I will lose anonymity if I post right away.
Let's give it another week so that they have gone to a few more places in them!

Lol. I will be waiting with baited breath.

Such a shame - the neoprene... I could actually imagine the fabric working really well in an elegant, tailored, not too tight sheath dress -- But then, you'd have never noticed it was neoprene. And yeah, probably not the right place.

Yeah, neoprene is awesome in the right circumstances. (For instance, while scuba diving...)

Revlon colorburst balm comes in matte and glossy, has many neutral shade options, lasts pretty well, and is 6$ at target.

I've been testing various lip options out for work to see what doesn't turn me into the joker(transferring onto my mask and smearing everywhere) and for drugstore lip stuff, these have worked great.

Got a beautiful dark navy pant suit from The Limited on an even more beautiful sale. I know that I was supposed to get cordovan heels but I am going with my black ones :cool:

2506793_150_1

Edit: selected better image

Last edited:
I kind of have this lovely navy blue dress with a scoop neck that hits about ankle length. What do you think about wearing it for interviews, it is really woolly and warm.

I kind of have this lovely navy blue dress with a scoop neck that hits about ankle length. What do you think about wearing it for interviews, it is really woolly and warm.
No for several reasons.

1) knits are considered more casual
2) ankle length makes it sound like a nightgown; waaaaaayyyy too long for a professional dress
3) you will be hot and nervous; you don't need to wear something "woolly and warm"

A suit is what you want: either matching trousers and jacket, shift dress and jacket or jacket and matching skirt.

sorry, ankle length was not a good descriptor, it's actually a little below the knee.

and it is warm but not that hot

@DokterMom @Winged Scapula For med school interviews, is hair this length & shape generally considered "appropriate" only when tied back?

Is this bun inappropriate - front & sideview? Replace sparkly hairband w/ nonsparkly.
vs. low bun @ nape of neck.
I think either way it's fine but in most cases wearing it back prevents you from nervously fussing with it or risking falling in your face. I think the second picture with it up is lovely.