Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Women's Interview Clothing #3!
Started by Geekchick921
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
No.
My avatar might like them though... (Sorry Maggie!)
And the ballet flats? Also No --
In the numerous pages of this thread, there are several photos of acceptable flats. Not many -- because most flats aren't acceptable. But a few will work. I'd give my blessings tho these.
how about this? https://www.google.ca/search?q=poin...UICCgB&biw=1224&bih=634#imgrc=5reNtCNY-baw7M:
How much does it matter about the footwear tho?
How much does it matter about the footwear tho?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why blow the the gimme's?How much does it matter about the footwear tho?
how about this? https://www.google.ca/search?q=poin...UICCgB&biw=1224&bih=634#imgrc=5reNtCNY-baw7M:
How much does it matter about the footwear tho?
The style and the shape look fine however I would stay away from what appears to be suede, especially if you're interviewing in the more winter he climate parts of our country. Suede is also less formal.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
If you have a genuine foot problem that this is the most heel and not-flatsoled shoe that you can tolerate, I think it's fine. I like that it isn't a ballet flat with how thick the sole is. It wouldn't be my ideal if the issue was merely preference regarding the wearing of short heels.
I have medical condition that I can't wear heels, even the shortest ones that others have said to be acceptable.
I did in fact wear a pair of Dansko's similar to yours (not exactly) merely because of my medical condition.
I say this not to go against the other posters, but for readers that truly can't handle any heel and must wear special footwear to accommodate, that there are better and worse options even if they're not the best.
TLDR:
it's not ideal
it's not likely a dealbreaker
do whatchu gotta do, yo
Too "tote-y".Ok, found some good heels instead! Thanks for your input, everyone!
One last question (for now) is this bag formal enough? Also available in black.
So I never wear make-up. Is that ok for an interview or should I at least get a light lipcolor? I always look neat (I moisturize, use chapstick, brush my hair back, etc.), but I'm worried that no makeup at all might look unprofessional. On the other hand, since I never wear it, I might feel a bit uncomfortable. Thoughts?
So I never wear make-up. Is that ok for an interview or should I at least get a light lipcolor? I always look neat (I moisturize, use chapstick, brush my hair back, etc.), but I'm worried that no makeup at all might look unprofessional. On the other hand, since I never wear it, I might feel a bit uncomfortable. Thoughts?
Thank you for asking and not going all SJW about requirements for professional appearance in women.
It is true that without make up young women can appear very young and unpolished. I would suggest a light coat of lip color, mascara and if you are somewhat sallow or pale some cheek color. You probably don't need to wear anything more than that and this will make you look much more professional.
As for not being used to it why not start wearing some on the weekends to become more comfortable?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Ok, fashion gurus. What do you ladies and gent think? I think I would like to go for a skirt suit because it looks more feminine on me, but I'm open to anything. I haven't tried on any suit pants or the grey ones, but the navy looks flattering on me in the store.
Edit: Sorry, don't know why it posted double
Edit: Sorry, don't know why it posted double
Attachments
-
Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 11.42.18 AM.png78.6 KB · Views: 231 -
Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 11.42.43 AM.png65.1 KB · Views: 201 -
Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 11.48.49 AM.png105.5 KB · Views: 215 -
Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 11.42.18 AM.png78.6 KB · Views: 241 -
Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 11.42.43 AM.png65.1 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
http://www.thelimited.com/product/collection-v-back-sheath-dress/31418822500040.html#
I'm thinking of getting this or something similar- a navy or black sheath dress with matched blazer. I think I'll be most comfortable in a dress, but these are okay right? They don't come across as less formal? I also have this two-stranded short rose-gold necklace (no pendant) that I would wear
I'm thinking of getting this or something similar- a navy or black sheath dress with matched blazer. I think I'll be most comfortable in a dress, but these are okay right? They don't come across as less formal? I also have this two-stranded short rose-gold necklace (no pendant) that I would wear
These heels are extremely comfortable! Are they appropriate with a pant suit?
http://m.dsw.com/shop/product/search/361969
Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile
http://m.dsw.com/shop/product/search/361969
Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Where can I find some comfortable pumps? I am not very accustomed to wearing any sort of heel.
DSW has all kinds of shoes. Aerosoles have really comfortable pumps!
Thank you for asking and not going all SJW about requirements for professional appearance in women.
It is true that without make up young women can appear very young and unpolished. I would suggest a light coat of lip color, mascara and if you are somewhat sallow or pale some cheek color. You probably don't need to wear anything more than that and this will make you look much more professional.
As for not being used to it why not start wearing some on the weekends to become more comfortable?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Consider going to the mall somewhere they sell nice makeup (avoid Sefora it's all hooker wear, I'm thinking more like Clinque) and ask them to help you do the sort of makeup Winged Scapula suggests. They usually do this free if you buy some. Be sure to tell them what you plan on wearing and what you're wearing it for (very conservative and important career interview.)
This is assuming you're pretty naive to makeup.
Navy and charcoal are good. Light suits are not as good.Ok, fashion gurus. What do you ladies and gent think? I think I would like to go for a skirt suit because it looks more feminine on me, but I'm open to anything. I haven't tried on any suit pants or the grey ones, but the navy looks flattering on me in the store.
Edit: Sorry, don't know why it posted double![]()
Can we save the judgement for another space?? Do you need to berate other women to give advice to this person? GeezConsider going to the mall somewhere they sell nice makeup (avoid Sefora it's all hooker wear, I'm thinking more like Clinque) and ask them to help you do the sort of makeup Winged Scapula suggests. They usually do this free if you buy some. Be sure to tell them what you plan on wearing and what you're wearing it for (very conservative and important career interview.)
This is assuming you're pretty naive to makeup.
Last edited:
Navy and charcoal are good. Light suits are not as good.
Thank you!
I know nude pumps are probably the safest if I go with the navy skirt suit. But what do you think about chestnut/brown leather 3 in. pumps? I'm myself am tan. I feel like those colors look more flattering on my skin tone than nude. I haven't found the right ones yet.
Have you considered cordovan with navy?Thank you!
I know nude pumps are probably the safest if I go with the navy skirt suit. But what do you think about chestnut/brown leather 3 in. pumps? I'm myself am tan. I feel like those colors look more flattering on my skin tone than nude. I haven't found the right ones yet.
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/sole-so...=category-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=BLACK
Does this bag look ok?
Does this bag look ok?
Have you considered cordovan with navy?
I have and I've considered them. But the problem is they're either way too expensive out of my price range or they have this odd buckle like structure on top of them. I can't seem to find cordovan plain leather 3 in pumps. Both online and in stores.
If you are tan, brown pumps are nude!I have and I've considered them. But the problem is they're either way too expensive out of my price range or they have this odd buckle like structure on top of them. I can't seem to find cordovan plain leather 3 in pumps. Both online and in stores.
Ok, fashion gurus. What do you ladies and gent think? I think I would like to go for a skirt suit because it looks more feminine on me, but I'm open to anything. I haven't tried on any suit pants or the grey ones, but the navy looks flattering on me in the store.
The navy's great -- Note also how the blouse's neckline compliment's the jacket's? That's done nicely in this example and is often a problem area.
http://www.thelimited.com/product/collection-v-back-sheath-dress/31418822500040.html#
I'm thinking of getting this or something similar- a navy or black sheath dress with matched blazer. I think I'll be most comfortable in a dress, but these are okay right? They don't come across as less formal? I also have this two-stranded short rose-gold necklace (no pendant) that I would wear
The navy and black are good. That particular grey was kind of 'heathery' or 'tweedy' which is NOT what you want. Charcoal gray is fine, but if in doubt, listen.
These heels are extremely comfortable! Are they appropriate with a pant suit?
http://m.dsw.com/shop/product/search/361969
Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile
If they're suede, they're sub-optimal.
Should I do black shoes with navy? I always thought that was bad bc my mom used to say black & blue makes you look like a bruise. But apparently it is a thing now.
Black is fine with navy. As is a mahogany brown (cordovan). Or even another navy IF it matches. But finding matching navies is difficult.
Sorry - no. The shape is casual. Go for something more structured and tailored, less 'soft' or 'floppy' --
The navy's great -- Note also how the blouse's neckline compliment's the jacket's? That's done nicely in this example and is often a problem area.
Thanks, DokterMom and gyngyn! Pretty set on going with the navy suit skirt because I fell in love when trying it on. I'm also going with the white shirt with a cut like that too. I already have a pair of brown pumps so I MIGHT just stick with them. What do you folks think about this tote? I have this already that I used for work. My other issue is hair....I just cut my hair recently for donation so it's this length and color below. Is it appropriate if I style it like this? This is what I do now. It's hard and looks weird when it's up cause it's an odd length.
Attachments
So if I'm feeling a little brave, am I able to get away with something like the snake textured one below? Haha, if not I'm just going to go with the black pumps.
I don't plan on wearing flats because I have no problems with wearing heels all day long.
I don't plan on wearing flats because I have no problems with wearing heels all day long.
Attachments
Will they really look negatively at suede type heels? I thought that would be better than limping around in uncomfortable heels. Hope not. Wore them at my interview today.
Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile
Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay this thread is so helpful!
This is my final outfit --- I think I have followed all the rules. Thoughts?
Clothes:
Ann Taylor navy two-button pantsuit
Light rose-colored shell shirt (no cleavage)
Burgundy leather pumps (2.5 inches) with plain back flats if needed for the tour (but I know they are not interview appropriate - sort of ballet flats)
Accessories:
Plain black leather work bag
Single pearl earrings
Plain watch (and the leather strap matches my shoes which is fun!)
Hair: straight, neat, down and out of my face (shoulder length hair)
Nails: Painted pale pink (very natural looking)
Makeup: Light powder, mascara, light eyeliner, nude lipstick
Have I covered everything? 🙂
This is my final outfit --- I think I have followed all the rules. Thoughts?
Clothes:
Ann Taylor navy two-button pantsuit
Light rose-colored shell shirt (no cleavage)
Burgundy leather pumps (2.5 inches) with plain back flats if needed for the tour (but I know they are not interview appropriate - sort of ballet flats)
Accessories:
Plain black leather work bag
Single pearl earrings
Plain watch (and the leather strap matches my shoes which is fun!)
Hair: straight, neat, down and out of my face (shoulder length hair)
Nails: Painted pale pink (very natural looking)
Makeup: Light powder, mascara, light eyeliner, nude lipstick
Have I covered everything? 🙂
Last edited:
Thanks, DokterMom and gyngyn! Pretty set on going with the navy suit skirt because I fell in love when trying it on. I'm also going with the white shirt with a cut like that too. I already have a pair of brown pumps so I MIGHT just stick with them. What do you folks think about this tote? I have this already that I used for work. My other issue is hair....I just cut my hair recently for donation so it's this length and color below. Is it appropriate if I style it like this? This is what I do now. It's hard and looks weird when it's up cause it's an odd length.
Tote and Hair are PERFECT! - Right on target.
BTW, if you ladies are struggling when it comes to suits can I suggest looking at T Tahari? Majority of their collection is so tasteful at great prices and appropriate for interviews.
Great suggestion. Many of their suits are very attractive and appropriate.
So if I'm feeling a little brave, am I able to get away with something like the snake textured one below? Haha, if not I'm just going to go with the black pumps.
I don't plan on wearing flats because I have no problems with wearing heels all day long.
First shoes are too high in the heel / too low in the sides, so too sexy. Snake would not be my first choice for intreview wear, but aren't 'strikes' either.
Will they really look negatively at suede type heels? I thought that would be better than limping around in uncomfortable heels. Hope not. Wore them at my interview today.
Like snake, they're not your best choice, but financial constraints are a reality for many.
If I were asked to give a "letter grade" I might downgrade from an A to an A- for snake or suede, but on a three-level scale (ex. Very Professional, OK, Not Professional) not enough to drop a level --- so a minor 'ding'.
Okay this thread is so helpful!
This is my final outfit --- I think I have followed all the rules. Thoughts?
Clothes:
Ann Taylor navy two-button pantsuit
Light rose-colored shell shirt (no cleavage)
Burgundy leather pumps (2.5 inches) with plain back flats if needed for the tour (but I know they are not interview appropriate - sort of ballet flats)
Accessories:
Plain black leather work bag
Single pearl earrings
Plain watch (and the leather strap matches my shoes which is fun!)
Hair: straight, neat, down and out of my face (shoulder length hair)
Nails: Painted pale pink (very natural looking)
Makeup: Light powder, mascara, light eyeliner, nude lipstick
Have I covered everything? 🙂
Sounds great! In a perfect world, your bag would match your shoes, but again, reality constrains all of us, and finding a matching burgundy for a reasonable price may not be a reasonable assignment for a busy person.
Tote and Hair are PERFECT! - Right on target.
Great suggestion. Many of their suits are very attractive and appropriate.
First shoes are too high in the heel / too low in the sides, so too sexy. Snake would not be my first choice for intreview wear, but aren't 'strikes' either.
Oh NO!! I was so close to getting all the looks right on first trial haha. How about the pair below? I'm going to have to buy new shoes then because all my heels are 3 in +. I have discount so I think if I were to get these Ivanka Trump heels I would only be spending $30!
Attachments
Thanks, @DokterMom!! I totally have comfy black heels I could wear instead - do you think I should instead of the burgundy? I just totally love the look of the burgundy and navy and rose together. But I love these black heels too, so I could go either way if matching my bag would be bestSounds great! In a perfect world, your bag would match your shoes, but again, reality constrains all of us, and finding a matching burgundy for a reasonable price may not be a reasonable assignment for a busy person.
Better -- But still narrow in the heel, which I also prefer, but sadly, not so much for interviews. The proportions below are what you should aim for.
![]()
I'm so sad. I love skinny narrow high heels lol. DokterMom, what brand is this and where can I get it?
I'm so sad. I love skinny narrow high heels lol. DokterMom, what brand is this and where can I get it?
Sadly, $450... Don't remember the brand, because at that price point, it kinda doesn't matter 😵
Sadly, $450... Don't remember the brand, because at that price point, it kinda doesn't matter 😵
Yikes! Ok, I'm gonna have to shop around then. Lol, if I don't find anything by next week, I'm gonna have to go with the shorter height pumps 🤔
Can we save the judgement for another space?? Do you need to berate other women to give advice to this person? Geez
Oh jeez it was a hyperbolic joke. Of course, you probably don't like I used hooker either. Don't be that person that's offended by micro-transgressions.
Don't know if this is the best place to ask but does anyone have any suggestions for luggage? I have a small carry-on bag that could work but it would involve folding my suit in three and I want to avoid massive wrinkles if possible. Anyone know any good garment bags that work as carry-ons? Preferably something rolling for the lazy among us?
What is the consensus on straight-leg pants (NOT ankle pants though) vs the classic "bootcut" or slightly flared pants? I am always more comfortable in the straight leg pants but I don't want to come off as too fashion-forward.
Also, it seems that a lot of people on here are very concerned with adding as much color as possible, but is it okay to opt for the navy pantsuit with the plain white button-down shirts like the ones on the models online at The Limited? I want to look clean and professional and to never doubt my choice in outfit, so for me that means the less colors the better.
Also, it seems that a lot of people on here are very concerned with adding as much color as possible, but is it okay to opt for the navy pantsuit with the plain white button-down shirts like the ones on the models online at The Limited? I want to look clean and professional and to never doubt my choice in outfit, so for me that means the less colors the better.
Straight leg is fine (not skinny). Button downs can be ok with a very small bust, otherwise a shell avoids peek-a-boo and collar-flop.What is the consensus on straight-leg pants (NOT ankle pants though) vs the classic "bootcut" or slightly flared pants? I am always more comfortable in the straight leg pants but I don't want to come off as too fashion-forward.
Also, it seems that a lot of people on here are very concerned with adding as much color as possible, but is it okay to opt for the navy pantsuit with the plain white button-down shirts like the ones on the models online at The Limited? I want to look clean and professional and to never doubt my choice in outfit, so for me that means the less colors the better.
Don't know if this is the best place to ask but does anyone have any suggestions for luggage? I have a small carry-on bag that could work but it would involve folding my suit in three and I want to avoid massive wrinkles if possible. Anyone know any good garment bags that work as carry-ons? Preferably something rolling for the lazy among us?
I would simply carry your suit on the plane and lay it on top of the luggage in the overhead bin—Target sells a simple garment bag that will protect your suit from getting dirty.
What is the consensus on straight-leg pants (NOT ankle pants though) vs the classic "bootcut" or slightly flared pants? I am always more comfortable in the straight leg pants but I don't want to come off as too fashion-forward.
Also, it seems that a lot of people on here are very concerned with adding as much color as possible, but is it okay to opt for the navy pantsuit with the plain white button-down shirts like the ones on the models online at The Limited? I want to look clean and professional and to never doubt my choice in outfit, so for me that means the less colors the better.
I personally like straight leg pants, as opposed to the traditional wider leg or flared trouser, because they feel more tailored to me. But you have to be careful. Many of the "straight leg" pants are essentially masquerading as skinny jeans. My little rule is if the leg of the pant hugs your calves, it's too tight. Find a looser trouser.
Banana Republic sells a great straight-leg pants that you can pair with the matching jacket to create a suit.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would simply carry your suit on the plane and lay it on top of the luggage in the overhead bin—Target sells a simple garment bag that will protect your suit from getting dirty.
Thanks! I was originally thinking that but a lot of airlines have been cracking down on the carry on bag rules, so I didn't know if that would be allowed? That would be infinitely preferable to stuffing my suit into a small rolling bag though. I need to bring enough stuff for 5 days too so I will need to bring another bag with me as well if I do that (I am not checking anything), so that might put me over the limit.
I bought the Eagle Creek sleeve (not the folder, the sleeve) as a way to pack my suit within my carryon. It's basically a garment bag that folds into itself to form a structured rectangle that I can easily then put into my carryon.
I just received it this week it am trying it out this weekend on a (non-medical school) trip. It had rave reviews, so I'm hopeful it'll enable me to travel with just a carryon and my purse, no luggage check-ins needed.
My main reason for not wanting a garment bag is because I'm scared I'll end up having to check it in because it'll make three pieces that I'd be traveling with. And I'm scared it will either get lost/forgotten esp with flights where I have a stopover.
If the sleeve doesn't work, I'm thinking of possibly just buying a travel steamer so that I can just steam out any wrinkles once I get to the hotels.
I just received it this week it am trying it out this weekend on a (non-medical school) trip. It had rave reviews, so I'm hopeful it'll enable me to travel with just a carryon and my purse, no luggage check-ins needed.
My main reason for not wanting a garment bag is because I'm scared I'll end up having to check it in because it'll make three pieces that I'd be traveling with. And I'm scared it will either get lost/forgotten esp with flights where I have a stopover.
If the sleeve doesn't work, I'm thinking of possibly just buying a travel steamer so that I can just steam out any wrinkles once I get to the hotels.
let us know how it works this weekend, I was looking into something similar so I'd love to know if it actually works!I bought the Eagle Creek sleeve (not the folder, the sleeve) as a way to pack my suit within my carryon. It's basically a garment bag that folds into itself to form a structured rectangle that I can easily then put into my carryon.
I just received it this week it am trying it out this weekend on a (non-medical school) trip. It had rave reviews, so I'm hopeful it'll enable me to travel with just a carryon and my purse, no luggage check-ins needed.
My main reason for not wanting a garment bag is because I'm scared I'll end up having to check it in because it'll make three pieces that I'd be traveling with. And I'm scared it will either get lost/forgotten esp with flights where I have a stopover.
If the sleeve doesn't work, I'm thinking of possibly just buying a travel steamer so that I can just steam out any wrinkles once I get to the hotels.
I'm on the shorter side, and "normal" interview pants just make me look frumpy. For my past internship interviews, I've always instead worn more structured, straight-fit ankle pants (well, they're called ankle pants, but they fall like normal length pants on me). Would this be alright for med school interviews?
This is the exact pair that I have worn in the past (though again, it doesn't fall that short on me)
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nydj-tw...ordsearch-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=BLACK
This is the exact pair that I have worn in the past (though again, it doesn't fall that short on me)
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nydj-tw...ordsearch-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=BLACK
Why are ankle pants so looked down upon in this setting? Is it because they're too "fashionable"? They seem to be acceptable at most professional events I've been to...