Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pearls from a current MS3 (my own opinions, other people might think they are wrong, do what you want):

- Dress conservatively, if you question it at all (or if someone else does) don't do it (there will be people who don't care, but it may offend the people who DO care, especially if they are old school)
- I think a pencil skirt is the best way to go, it is more professional for women than pants, but this one doesn't really matter, just opinion
- Wear nylons if you where a skirt (for the love of all that is good in this world)
- Shirt/blouse that isn't too low (this one is obvious)
- Hair must be neat, I recommend it up and not down (if you wear it down take a brush with you and run it through every time you go to the bathroom and before you see interviewers)
- Don't wear big jewelry. Keep it simple, keep it classy.
- Bring two pairs of shoes, flats and heels (conservative heels), and a purse/professional bag able to carry them both. However if you NEVER wear heels and are nervous walking in them just stick with flats, it's not a biggie. BUT wear closed-toed shoes!
- Wear enough makeup to pull the look together, but make it look as natural as possible. If you don't wear makeup normally don't start doing it for interviews. (YouTube is great for professional makeup tips for this sort of thing)
- Wear a suit, not a dress (and again, pencil skirt+nylons>pants)
- Tuck in your shirt (biggest pet peeve, and when I go to talk to medical students during their interview day this has to be one of the biggest things I notice that makes me sad inside)
- Don't chance it, don't wear nail polish, if it chips it is very noticeable
- Keep nails properly trimmed
- Blue/Black/Grey suits are great - stay away from Elle Woods' pink suit (I have one though, just not for something like this), and I would also stay away from tan
- Also, there are a ton of stores that have wrinkle-free shirts that are AMAZING. But if you DO have a shirt that gets wrinkled easily, iron it!
- Invest in well-fitting suits/shirts/etc. Don't settle for something that "will be fine". Try lots of different places, body types fit differently at different stores.

- At the end of the day, know that you want to remember your personality, all of the hard work you put in for the past 4+ years, your grades, activities, etc. You DO NOT want them to remember what you wore or how you did your makeup.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
- Wear a suit, not a dress (and again, pencil skirt+nylons>pants)

I agree with the vast majority of your post, but a dress + jacket of the same fabric, texture, and color is considered business formal, just as much as a skirt suit -- assuming the set is dark, wool or wool blend, hits at the knee or just below, with no crazy trim or asymmetric necklines, etc.

It is known.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the vast majority of your post, but a dress + jacket of the same fabric, texture, and color is considered business formal, just as much as a skirt suit -- assuming the set is dark, wool or wool blend, hits at the knee or just below, with no crazy trim or asymmetric necklines, etc.

It is known.

True, I would actually agree that this is appropriate as well, I just have not seen it on my own interview trail or for other interviewees at my institution. I hadn't thought of it, but true! It is known.

Members don't see this ad :)
True, I would actually agree that this is appropriate as well, I just have not seen it on my own interview trail or for other interviewees at my institution. I hadn't thought of it, but true! It is known.

Thanks ;) I don't understand why women ignore this option. It solves so many problems -- wrinkles, gaping button holes, untucked blouses, see-through material, etc. Easy peasy. Anyway, good luck on your journey :luck:

Reactions: 1 users
Why are ankle pants so looked down upon in this setting? Is it because they're too "fashionable"? They seem to be acceptable at most professional events I've been to...
That's what I thought, but when I mentioned this to friends who are currently applying, they all seemed to think it might be looked down upon because it's considered fashionable/more casual :/

That's what I thought, but when I mentioned this to friends who are currently applying, they all seemed to think it might be looked down upon because it's considered fashionable/more casual :/
Don't wear ankle pants.

I guess it's better to not risk it. I heard at second look weekends and other orientation week events the dress code is usually business casual so we can always save the ankle pants for then...

Last edited:
Do we have to have bags big enough to hold a padfolio? They look giant and I think I'd rather just carry it separate.

Do we have to have bags big enough to hold a padfolio? They look giant and I think I'd rather just carry it separate.
Most places will give you a folder with information, maybe a pen. I think a padfolio is unnecessary, then (and it may not even fit this aforementioned folder, leaving you with even more things to carry separately). Unless you have a resume or other material that you're required to bring, I would just bring a pad of paper and pen, if that, in your purse/bag.

The only thing that looks "unprofessional" to me is when someone doesn't have anything with which to write, or just the opposite, they're lugging a ton of things.

Most places will give you a folder with information, maybe a pen. I think a padfolio is unnecessary, then (and it may not even fit this aforementioned folder, leaving you with even more things to carry separately). Unless you have a resume or other material that you're required to bring, I would just bring a pad of paper and pen, if that, in your purse/bag.

The only thing that looks "unprofessional" to me is when someone doesn't have anything with which to write, or just the opposite, they're lugging a ton of things.

Totally agree with the no padfolio post. I prefer a small bag bc it allows me to carry a pad and pen, as well as some emergency items (Kleenex, tide to go pen, deodorant).

image.jpeg image.jpeg Hey guys!!
Need advice on the suit I bought today.
First off is the wine colored top ok? The suit is actually a dark grey not black but the lighting is off in this picture. Also do I need to get the jacket altered? The size down was too small but I feel like it's a little boxy on me. Please excuse the mess, it was a long day!

View attachment 208176 View attachment 208177 Hey guys!!
Need advice on the suit I bought today.
First off is the wine colored top ok? The suit is actually a dark grey not black but the lighting is off in this picture. Also do I need to get the jacket altered? The size down was too small but I feel like it's a little boxy on me. Please excuse the mess, it was a long day!

I think you could totally work a more bright top. The wine almost blends in with the suit jacket in my opinion.

In terms of tailoring, DO IT! I got my blazer taken in at the waist because I have broad shoulders, so a 6 was too snug in the shoulders, and the 8 was massive in the waist.

I got it back yesterday, and you can't even tell it's been tailored. It cost ~50$ and will totally set your mind at ease :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks DokterMom and gyngyn for the help. My look is all pieced together and so ready for the interview tomorrow! :luck::xf: wish me luck!!!

Don't close the bottom button.
The blouse is fine in any color.

Is it ok to leave a jacket all the way unbuttoned? What if it is one of those matching dress/jacket suits so the color is uniform and nothing will gap or come untucked?

Is it ok to leave a jacket all the way unbuttoned? What if it is one of those matching dress/jacket suits so the color is uniform and nothing will gap or come untucked?
It is fine as long as it does not appear that the jacket is too small (and you are leaving it unbuttoned because it doesn't fit).

Can anyone tell the difference between these two sizes?
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1471818577.505084.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1471818596.790135.jpg

They both have an odd rumple at the top button so it's the cut, not the size. I like the smaller one on my shoulders. If I wear it open you can't see the weird pull. I was also thinking it would be easier to have a tailor move a button for a little more room than to take in the shoulders and waist. (That's not the shirt I'm wearing under it!)

It is fine as long as it does not appear that the jacket is too small (and you are leaving it unbuttoned because it doesn't fit).

Thanks! Do you think the jacket in the first pic I posted looks too small?

I recently bought a navy blue skirt suit and was wondering if the current bag and shoes that I have would be interview appropriate with it?

The bag I have is this exact one (I removed the logo medallion that's hanging off the handles). Is the color okay, and should I remove the long strap or keep it on so I have the option of throwing it onto my shoulder as opposed to carrying it with my hands throughout the day? (It hits about at my hip.)
purse.jpg

The shoes that I have are almost exactly the same as these, but without the small platform on the bottom. I'm wondering if nude patent leather is appropriate, as well as if the wooden material of the heel is professional or not? Also wondering if 3 inch heels are okay considering that I am 5'8"?
heels.jpg

Okay, after last time I want a final check before I take tags off of everything. It's showing up black in photos, but it's a Navy suit, Ivory shell, 2" square black heels by life stride, and a structured black tote I already own. I'll be completing the outfit with nude pantyhose, a simple silver watch, and pearl stud earrings.
ImageUploadedBySDN1471896782.910507.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN1471896793.623135.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Okay, after last time I want a final check before I take tags off of everything.

Might be the lighting, but that shell looks a little tight across your chest. Can you try a size up?

Okay, after last time I want a final check before I take tags off of everything. It's showing up black in photos, but it's a Navy suit, Ivory shell, 2" square black heels by life stride, and a structured black tote I already own. I'll be completing the outfit with nude pantyhose, a simple silver watch, and pearl stud earrings. View attachment 208225View attachment 208226

Where did you get the jacket? I like the way it fits. Was it tailored?

Where did you get the jacket? I like the way it fits. Was it tailored?

Thanks! It's Calvin Klein, off the rack. Was going to purchase from Macy's but it was actually cheaper on Amazon believe it or not.

Okay so I somehow injured myself and can't wear my beautiful pumps to my interview this week :( I've got no super professional flats, but are these okay? I'm thinking the aubergine color (would go really well with all my accessories) or the black.
https://www.clarksusa.com/us/womens...lats/keesha-rosa-aubergine-leather/p/26120287

Sorry to bump this, I'm just going shopping this afternoon and would love some feedback. Does the patent leather toe make it less formal?
Thanks y'all! :)

Sorry to bump this, I'm just going shopping this afternoon and would love some feedback. Does the patent leather toe make it less formal?
Thanks y'all! :)
I think those will do! It's much better than a flimsy flat. Plus, Clark's makes great shoes. I actually think the patent leather toe and two-tone make the shoe more acceptable. It gives it some dimension.

Does the patent leather toe make it less formal?

Yes. If you search through this thread and similar threads from previous years, cap toe, two-tone, and patent leather are all considered too informal.

Look for black or burgundy leather/faux leather (not patent), closed toe pumps with a reasonable (not hooker) heel height. Since you are injured, you can try a low wedge heel or perhaps a pointy toed flat. No logos, trim, sequins, rhinestones, platform, two-tone, etc. Match the leather color of your shoes to the leather of your purse.

I actually think the patent leather toe and two-tone make the shoe more acceptable. It gives it some dimension.

I'm sorry, but no.
"Fashionable" =/= "acceptable"
Sadly, the pretty shoes aren't usually the sort of conservative shoes one needs to wear to an interview in this man's world of ours.

Here, I found an option - $70 from Nine West, "Speakup Pointed Toe Flats" in the black leather color. Took me about 3 seconds to find online.
PG.NWSPEAKUP.JJ169R6.PZ.jpg

Yes. If you search through this thread and similar threads from previous years, cap toe, two-tone, and patent leather are all considered too informal.

Look for black or burgundy leather/faux leather (not patent), closed toe pumps with a reasonable (not hooker) heel height. Since you are injured, you can try a low wedge heel or perhaps a pointy toed flat. No logos, trim, sequins, rhinestones, platform, two-tone, etc. Match the leather color of your shoes to the leather of your purse.

I'm sorry, but no.
Sadly, the pretty shoes aren't usually the sort of conservative shoes one needs to wear to an interview in this man's world of ours.

Here, I found an option - $70 from Nine West, "Speakup Pointed Toe Flats" in the black leather color. Took me about 3 seconds to find online.View attachment 208268

I'm definitely not an expert, but others who are have vetoed the ballet-style flats fyi

Okay, after last time I want a final check before I take tags off of everything. It's showing up black in photos, but it's a Navy suit, Ivory shell, 2" square black heels by life stride, and a structured black tote I already own. I'll be completing the outfit with nude pantyhose, a simple silver watch, and pearl stud earrings. View attachment 208225View attachment 208226

The ensemble looks great!
The bag is "totey" but still acceptable.

I'm definitely not an expert, but others who are have vetoed the ballet-style flats fyi
Totally agree! I don't consider this a ballet flat, though. Perhaps it's a bad angle pic. The shoe has a teeny tiny heel, a proper sole, and the toe is pointed, not rounded.

Okay so I somehow injured myself and can't wear my beautiful pumps

OK, I know probably too late for this poster but for anyone else unable to wear heels, here are some other options that maybe SDN experts can weigh in on.

1) pricy at $200, Nordstrom, Cole Haan "Dellora" skimmer flat in black leather
_12743919.jpg _12743879.jpg
2) ~$100 Nordstrom, Michael Kors "Arianna" pointy toe flat in black leather_12978806.jpg _12978821.jpg

OK, I know probably too late for this poster but for anyone else unable to wear heels, here are some other options that maybe SDN experts can weigh in on.

View attachment 208272 View attachment 208273
2) ~$100 Nordstrom, Michael Kors "Arianna" pointy toe flat in black leatherView attachment 208274 View attachment 208275

Ugh I want that Cole Haan flat so bad. I have gotten a lot of wear out of a flat very similar to the Michael Kors. I opted for a heel for my interview, but I'll be curious to see what the adcoms have to say about it!

I'm sorry, but no.

Here, I found an option - $70 from Nine West, "Speakup Pointed Toe Flats" in the black leather color. Took me about 3 seconds to find online.View attachment 208268

Your snark has been noted, but doesn't change my opinion. For someone who is injured, the Clark's shoes offer a small lift. Flimsy ballet flats are not acceptable.

I did not say they were "fashionable," either. "Dimension," given by the slight texture, is not commensurate with "sequins," as you have tried to exclaim.

I shove "flats" into my bag, I would not wear them to interview. And lastly, I saw an attending at the hospital wearing these very shoes with her pencil skirt/suit today, so if it does for her, they'll do in this scenario.

View attachment 208272 View attachment 208273
2) ~$100 Nordstrom, Michael Kors "Arianna" pointy toe flat in black leatherView attachment 208274 View attachment 208275
Option 1 is great, but #2 is getting a little on the pointy side

Shoes: a bit of a heel is best. No patent. Flats if you must but accomplished adults should be able to walk in heels. No embellishments. Should be darker than your outfit. Navy: cordovan/wine colored; brown, second place, black distant third. Black: black or cordovan. Grey: black, cordovan or darker grey.

Old posts circa 2014-15 by Winged Scapula and @DokterMom (please chime in!) seem to indicate that:

a) one should err on the side of being conservative in appearance, ie: plain, solid color, leather shoe

b) heels are best, but flats are OK if injured, wearing a pantsuit, or overly tall

c) the most important thing is to be presentable, but minor etiquette details shouldn't cause undue stress

I shove "flats" into my bag, I would not wear them to interview. And lastly, I saw an attending at the hospital wearing these very shoes with her pencil skirt/suit today, so if it does for her, they'll do in this scenario

I apologize if I have offended you, as that was not my intention. Regarding the attending, I'm afraid work standards of dress are more relaxed than interview standards, but of course you must do as you think best.

Another option for interview shoes: wear flats to the tour and change into pumps for the actual interview. Many SDN ladies have had success with this tactic.

Is it okay to wear black nylons/pantyhose with a blue suit skirt?
Is this blouse (http://www.anntaylor.com/petite-ruf...olor=5061&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000026) also okay to wear with a navy suit?

Old school = matching your stockings to your shoes (ex: black pumps, black stockings). That being said, as you may tell from my use of the word stocking, things have changed since then! You are going to want to wear nude/skin-tone hose IIRC from previous adcom posts.

I don't care for the frou frou ruffles of the blouse, but I am very very old...I mean, conservative :cool:

Old posts circa 2014-15 by Winged Scapula and @DokterMom (please chime in!) seem to indicate that:

a) one should err on the side of being conservative in appearance, ie: plain, solid color, leather shoe

b) heels are best, but flats are OK if injured, wearing a pantsuit, or overly tall

c) the most important thing is to be presentable, but minor etiquette details shouldn't cause undue stress

I apologize if I have offended you, as that was not my intention. Regarding the attending, I'm afraid work standards of dress are more relaxed than interview standards, but of course you must do as you think best.

Another option for interview shoes: wear flats to the tour and change into pumps for the actual interview. Many SDN ladies have had success with this tactic.

Old school = matching your stockings to your shoes (ex: black pumps, black stockings). That being said, as you may tell from my use of the word stocking, things have changed since then! You are going to want to wear nude/skin-tone hose IIRC from previous adcom posts.

I don't care for the frou frou ruffles of the blouse, but I am very very old...I mean, conservative :cool:

Just when I think my outfit is settled, I find that patent is a no go for shoes. Ugh. This is exceedingly frustrating lol. Thought I read this thread thoroughly but I suppose not thoroughly enough.

Just when I think my outfit is settled, I find that patent is a no go for shoes. Ugh. This is exceedingly frustrating lol. Thought I read this thread thoroughly but I suppose not thoroughly enough.

It's not a total deal breaker. Don't be frustrated! If everything else about your outfit is great, move on. You'll be fine!

...and now my watch is ended. Off to sleep.

Is it okay to wear black nylons/pantyhose with a blue suit skirt?
Is this blouse (http://www.anntaylor.com/petite-ruf...olor=5061&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000026) also okay to wear with a navy suit?

Prior consensus on the thread is nude pantyhose.

I think the blouse is beautiful but am concerned that the ruffles may compete with the lapel of the suit. Is it possible for you to try on the blouse with the suit before buying or committing to it? I'm having trouble even finding a google hit for "ruffled blouse suit" that looks appropriate, they all look more editorial/fashion.