Work/Activities Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Insaiyandave

Reaction score
Hey! I will be applying MD in the upcoming cycle and was just starting to organize all my experiences and jobs that I have had during my undergraduate career. However, I am having an issue with putting contacts for one of my jobs, as I was self-employed. For the past 5 years or so I have been a self-employed, for lack of a better term, farmer. I purchase livestock and raise them on family land. I buy young dairy cattle and eventually artificially inseminate them and sell them to dairy farmers. This has paid for my undergrad and has taken a large portion of my time (15-20hrs/week for 5 years), so I think it would be a wise idea to put on my application. Do you think this would look good on an application, and if so, what should I do for contact info?

Members don't see this ad.

I would put it up seeing as it took up a significant amount of your time during undergrad and helped you pay off your debt. That is a big deal. For contact info, if you are truly self employed and answer only to yourself, put your own contact info. Under the details/experience part, mention how it was this job was helpful to you and what qualities of it you can use to help yourself progress further into and beyond med school.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey! I will be applying MD in the upcoming cycle and was just starting to organize all my experiences and jobs that I have had during my undergraduate career. However, I am having an issue with putting contacts for one of my jobs, as I was self-employed. For the past 5 years or so I have been a self-employed, for lack of a better term, farmer. I purchase livestock and raise them on family land. I buy young dairy cattle and eventually artificially inseminate them and sell them to dairy farmers. This has paid for my undergrad and has taken a large portion of my time (15-20hrs/week for 5 years), so I think it would be a wise idea to put on my application. Do you think this would look good on an application, and if so, what should I do for contact info?
Wouldn't one of your local customers vouch for you?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would try to identify third parties (e.g., auctioneer, feed salesman, etc.) who could vouch for you.

I would definitely put this on your application. It does a lot to show who you are other than a student who studied all day, joined pre-med clubs, and did clinical research.

Is there a spot to list "self employed" under contacts? If not, can you list a customer/auctioneer/anyone who could say "yes, Insaiyandave did sell livestock here for 5 years"?

The AMCAS faq says you can list yourself as a contact if you explain why. But yes, there is no way you should leave this off.