Work/Activities Examples

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
So I finished writing my personal statement and am now onto writing all my work/activities. But I don't know the style and how detailed etc I'm supposed to write them. So can anyone who has been accepted into a medical school post an example of a work or activity that they did just so I can see?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ya any accepted med students care to share?

loll i hate to sound like a sheep...
but yea can someone share? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an accepted applicant but I don't know that gives me any credibility :p. There's a huge thread called "Great tips for entering Work/Activities" http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=202513

Short descriptions are fine. Bullet points suffice in many cases. No need to write mini fluffy essays about how ridiculously inspiring your shadowing was, you can take care of that in your personal statement :).

Some schools like those "fluff." You dont need to go into great detail but ideally you should be explaining what your role was and what you got out of it. Like transmogrifer said though dont just use space becuase its there. Some of mine i said what i wanted to in like 600 characters. The others i used 1300. Just say what you need to and it you are short its fine. Im sure LizzyM can attest to this, the shorter and more concise it is the happier adcoms are ;). they dont want to read 15 activity sections with 1300 characters in each for one applicant when they have hundreds of other applicants who in all likelyhood are the same as you :p. After a while reading how your mundane shadowing experience was life changing has got to get stale over 1000+ applicants who all have the same bio major 3.5+ GPA 30+ mcat story

Last edited:
Some schools like those "fluff." You dont need to go into great detail but ideally you should be explaining what your role was and what you got out of it.
Agreed. Just don't feel like you need to use the full character allotment describing each experience.