Work from Home pharmacist remote positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mentos

Half full member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For some reason they shut down the other thread which I found very helpful.

Where do you guys find these work from home jobs? I would love to have no commute and no contact with people. Although my workplace requires masks, half the people have a mask beard or wear them beneath the nose which defeats the purpose.

Members don't see this ad.

For some reason they shut down the other thread which I found very helpful.

Where do you guys find these work from home jobs? I would love to have no commute and no contact with people. Although my workplace requires masks, half the people have a mask beard or wear them beneath the nose which defeats the purpose.
Hi, mentos, I created that original post about remote jobs but because of some joke that a moderator on this site found vulgar it was closed . Anyway, I don’t know all that much about remote positions but some are on Glassdoor, indeed, and you can also put up your resume on LinkedIn. Humana and some other companies offer these type of remote positions . I feel the same way- I’ve been working retail for almost 9 years (February 2013) and I’m already checked out . If I can get paid the same as retail or slightly more with a better work schedule and no weekends , I don’t see why I wouldn’t take it . I also don’t care about being around the public anymore and believe I’ve already been in this community environment long enough . Unlike new grads who want a cushy job without doing retail for a few years I feel I’ve paid my dues and ready to move on . I’m 35 years old and I’m not getting any younger - retail is not sustainable for the next 30 years until retirement age . No way . I’m glad I’ve worked it but it cannot be a lifelong career . If you can do retail for any amount of time you can pretty much do anything .

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Seeing a lot of remote positions posted on linkedin, but pay is low 50s/hr, and they get 200-300 applicants in a day.

While it sounds good I’m theory, I would be hesitant to take work from home position. I would be tired of my family if I see them 24/7. Trust me outside human contact is important: your coworkers, regular customers or even those crazy customers (in moderation) keep you on your toe and help you remain sane.

I know you would still be talking to folks over the phone but it ain’t the same IMO.

My question would be about benefits . What are benefits like ? Time off , sick policies , 401k, flexibility about where you can work from etc .

While it sounds good I’m theory, I would be hesitant to take work from home position. I would be tired of my family if I see them 24/7. Trust me outside human contact is important: your coworkers, regular customers or even those crazy customers (in moderation) keep you on your toe and help you remain sane.

I know you would still be talking to folks over the phone but it ain’t the same IMO.

I would walk down the street to the library to get out of the house. They have private study rooms that you can reserve and they're pretty much empty all the time.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I would walk down the street to the library to get out of the house. They have private study rooms that you can reserve and they're pretty much empty all the time.
Any idea how stable these remote positions are ? I don’t want anything that lasts for only a year or two and then suddenly some layoff , especially after I’ve been in retail nearly 9 years and this has been my first and only job so far as an adult . The last thing I want is to be in a committed relationship and with a child to feed one day , a mortgage , and then all of a sudden some layoff .

Any idea how stable these remote positions are ? I don’t want anything that lasts for only a year or two and then suddenly some layoff , especially after I’ve been in retail nearly 9 years and this has been my first and only job so far as an adult . The last thing I want is to be in a committed relationship and with a child to feed one day , a mortgage , and then all of a sudden some layoff .
A lot of the remote prior auth pharmacist positions are of a contract basis

A lot of the remote prior auth pharmacist positions are of a contract basis
So if they aren’t permanent , why bother taking them ? People want stability - nothing is guaranteed in those contracts except the end of your employment .

So if they aren’t permanent , why bother taking them ? People want stability - nothing is guaranteed in those contracts except the end of your employment .

Maybe they have the luxury of having a lot of savings. There are many millionaires and multi-millionaires now with stocks, crypto and real estate at all time highs.

Reactions: 1 user
That's my point. Contract work is not for the risk adverse

I would say that a huge portion of us would rather do unstable contract work at reduced pay than spend another day at one of the major retail chains.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work as a permanent prior auth pharmacist. I think I got lucky when I saw the listing cause my company still hires contractors seasonally too.

I think it depends on what kind of remote job you want. If you want a PA job, those usually show up late summer/fall to get ready for busy season which is end/beg of the year. I think there are still some PA listings right now but mostly contract.

My pay is low $60s. Regular benefits, medical, dental, 401k, etc. pto starts at 3 weeks. Schedule right now is mon-Fri. I’ve seen my dept offer diff kinda schedules tho like a 7on 7off, split shift (6:30-10a then 6p-10) or something like that. But mostly everyone has the same office hours shift

I’ve seen listings on indeed for remote order entry too but usually that requires hospital background. I’ve also done A PRN MTM remote job but they usually slow down by summer cause most patients have done their MTMs.

Let me just say that WFH is different from remote. My computer is attached via Ethernet to the company modem (yes they pay for work internet) so i can’t be traveling or even going to the library to do my work. Also I need the two screens they provide to do my job.

I have a friend who works in pharmacovigilance and she is able to do her job with whatever Wi-Fi she connects to. She def has more flexibility. When I did the PRN MTM remote job, I just connected to my own Wi-Fi with my own laptop.

Overall def loving WFH life. I don’t really care that I don’t see my coworkers. I talk to them on chat and that’s enough for me lol

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I have applied to any remote job listed on Indeed. Most of the interviews I have received are from recruiters looking for MTM support for x company or x PBM under a 1099 contract. I was honest with him and told him I need more security and interested in PA jobs. He was nice enough to tell me he has recruited for PA jobs for contract and if you perform well, the company will take you onboard. This process can last two years. The hourly rate is comparable to what I currently make at the VA but this is on a contract. He has told me this is the best way to get into PA MTM job.
Me best advice is to keep applying to any remote jobs.
Would you be willing to do order entry?
Having multiple licenses help also. Because I literally apply to anything remote, I had first contact with employers asking if I am licensed for X state.
If you enjoy medical writing, my friend just landed a job in this for a small start up, 75k a year. The flexibility is amazing but very intense work when deadlines are due in hours.
Make that linkedin profile! It helps.
I am glad I am not the only one bothered with coworkers wearing chin mask

Reactions: 2 users
The major company that tends to hire WFH in the insurance industry is Optum in the Midwest. They go through layoff cycles, but there's a good percentage of lifers (>20 years) that I know have made it into their 50s, 60s, and retirement with average work ethic (no heroics, but not mediocre either). Like a poster said, it's late summer that is the normal recruitment to time with new grads.

Kaiser in PacNW (old Group Health Cooperative) would routinely promote their pharmacists from the office to WFH (and usually offered by management in order to derail anyone supercompetent from competing with their careers). I'm not sure how they handled pandemic affairs.

I'd consider getting a license in states that have extensive mail order operations (AZ, IL, FL) as they also hire many WFH staff though for AZ, I'm not sure if anyone who is WFH lives out of state due to mandatory reporting every so often.

In the Civil Service, promote to the agency's Central Office or be in their COTR division as those two areas have very few reporting to the office.

Stability can not be overemphasized. Also, not appealing how much time, effort, and paperwork involved with temporary positions...just significantly less free time to enjoy doing whatever one's heart desires

Stability can not be overemphasized. Also, not appealing how much time, effort, and paperwork involved with temporary positions...just significantly less free time to enjoy doing whatever one's heart desires
With the number of pharmacists leaving chains in south Florida , I can only imagine a majority are leaving for greener pastures / superior positions after working in retail for many years . Some people mention the lack of pharmacist leverage , but where are these pharmacists leaving ? I imagine if they’re leaving it’s because good opportunities are out there . Here, in south Florida , a majority of the pharmacists I know are family men and women with mortgages , children , responsibility- these pharmacists are not like me at 35 and just starting to settle down . These men and women have all the financial trappings and it doesn’t make sense that they would move onto temporary positions so I happen to believe most are finding permanent stable positions . Some of the Rphs I know are rxms working for the corner devil for 15-20 years and they are leaving quickly . I don’t see how the chains can possibly afford to be so arrogant to believe they cannot lose in this game even with the new grads . Guess what ? The new grads starting at $46 or $47 per hour are not staying . When people are not staying it’s because better jobs are not as hard to come by . Two days ago I read an email the scheduler sent out in desperation looking for coverage for so many shifts . There is arrogance and then there is foolishness - as a company when you see you are suffering from a massive loss of employees , it’s time to start thinking about why and what you will do to correct the situation . But CVS and Walgreens somehow think no matter what happens they can function without employees . In 9 years I’ve never seen anything like this . Anyone wanting to leave retail ? Now is the time to do so .

With the number of pharmacists leaving chains in south Florida , I can only imagine a majority are leaving for greener pastures / superior positions after working in retail for many years . Some people mention the lack of pharmacist leverage , but where are these pharmacists leaving ? I imagine if they’re leaving it’s because good opportunities are out there . Here, in south Florida , a majority of the pharmacists I know are family men and women with mortgages , children , responsibility- these pharmacists are not like me at 35 and just starting to settle down . These men and women have all the financial trappings and it doesn’t make sense that they would move onto temporary positions so I happen to believe most are finding permanent stable positions . Some of the Rphs I know are rxms working for the corner devil for 15-20 years and they are leaving quickly . I don’t see how the chains can possibly afford to be so arrogant to believe they cannot lose in this game even with the new grads . Guess what ? The new grads starting at $46 or $47 per hour are not staying . When people are not staying it’s because better jobs are not as hard to come by . Two days ago I read an email the scheduler sent out in desperation looking for coverage for so many shifts . There is arrogance and then there is foolishness - as a company when you see you are suffering from a massive loss of employees , it’s time to start thinking about why and what you will do to correct the situation . But CVS and Walgreens somehow think no matter what happens they can function without employees . In 9 years I’ve never seen anything like this . Anyone wanting to leave retail ? Now is the time to do so .
I'd be more interested hearing from people chime in with newly acquired stable/long term, remote positions...aka those greener pastures/"unicorn positions". Or if this is just a mirage? If something sounds too good to be true...

Yeah, I've never seen such a massive exodus in this industry (started in early 2000s) with my mother working in same industry since 1980s. Stability was a thing...now we've got schedulers shuffling staff across several stores just trying to make ends meet. I'm an overnighter now getting asked to come in, work for 2-3 measly hours at store X before starting my shift at store Y...FFS. Wake up call for chains to come to the realization that employees want to be treated as valuable & with respect rather than being just a number & replaceable (technicians & pharmacists working conditions)

I made the jump before things got truly bad with COVID testing and the vaccine. I took a leap of faith taking a WFH contract that materialized into a full time positio. The road to WFH/Not retail was fraught with a little risk

Are there any hospitals out there that offer WFH shifts?

Wouldn't work for overnight shift, but for day shift when you usually have like 4-5 pharmacists on hand, you could put one of them on doing verification from home.
Cardinal Health offers remote order entry RPh positions. Typically overnights covering for hospitals that are closed

I'd be more interested hearing from people chime in with newly acquired stable/long term, remote positions...aka those greener pastures/"unicorn positions". Or if this is just a mirage? If something sounds too good to be true...

Yeah, I've never seen such a massive exodus in this industry (started in early 2000s) with my mother working in same industry since 1980s. Stability was a thing...now we've got schedulers shuffling staff across several stores just trying to make ends meet. I'm an overnighter now getting asked to come in, work for 2-3 measly hours at store X before starting my shift at store Y...FFS. Wake up call for chains to come to the realization that employees want to be treated as valuable & with respect rather than being just a number & replaceable (technicians & pharmacists working conditions)
You would think the chains would start making changes but they haven’t done much of anything . Starting salaries are low at the corner devil , working conditions are atrocious , and they continue to close stores or DMs are scrambling to find coverage (along with schedulers ). Perhaps it’s still too soon but you’d think the chains would get a clue . Who knows what will happen . But I can bet this will not go on for much longer - no one will continue working for these chains with the burden of responsibility and increasing workload for the same pay or early 2000s pay . Even the days of mid to high 50s per hour are gone - in this day and age we should be making mid to high 60s per hour . It’s absurd - what’s next ? Prescribing ? I often work with new techs who tell me they want to study pharmacy and I cringe . The situation really is hopeless with these early 20s kids who , even after I tell them the facts , just look at me and tell me they don’t know what else to do and are not planning to go into retail . What is the appeal of this job anymore ?

rumor has it remote positions for product review (possibly QT, data entry review - similar idea as shared verification) are on the horizon for retail; retail RPh there for legality/accountability, administering vaccines non-stop, filling C2s, & of course, putting out fires

Would not be surprised if there was a substantial pay-cut remote vs. non-remote for obvious reasons...non-remote = substantially more difficult, stressful, & resource consuming

Last edited:
rumor has it remote positions for product review (possibly QT, data entry review - similar idea as shared verification) are on the horizon for retail; retail RPh there for legality/accountability, administering vaccines non-stop, filling C2s, & of course, putting out fires

Would not be surprised if there was a substantial pay-cut remote vs. non-remote for obvious reasons...non-remote = substantially more difficult, stressful, & resource consuming
I was thinking about that. It would definitely be a win for the chains as it would allow them to continue their bare bones staffing models in store. Let's say a customer brings in a script for a maintenance med, all the staff member has to do is scan it into the system and the "remote" or central site can perform data entry/adjudication/order verification and even mail deliver it to the patients address. The on site pharmacy would only need to dispense high acuity meds like antibiotics or controlled substances.

I was thinking about that. It would definitely be a win for the chains as it would allow them to continue their bare bones staffing models in store. Let's say a customer brings in a script for a maintenance med, all the staff member has to do is scan it into the system and the "remote" or central site can perform data entry/adjudication/order verification and even mail deliver it to the patients address. The on site pharmacy would only need to dispense high acuity meds like antibiotics or controlled substances.
Wait, there are states that still utilize paper prescriptions? i have not scanned in a prescriptions for years (about eight years ago, definitely none in the last five years)

Wait, there are states that still utilize paper prescriptions? i have not scanned in a prescriptions for years (about eight years ago, definitely none in the last five years)
my MD office does e-script but gives me the print out to go to my pharmacy of choice

I made the jump to WFH in August after working at CVS since 2007 (became pharmacist in 2013). It was an offer I couldn't refuse. Work from home and it's a permanent position. Prior authorization pharmacist. I took a paycut, about 15%, but after tolls, gas and the random stuff I tend to buy in retail that I saved - the difference wasn't much. Believe it or not, I'm still in the system and works here and there, prn basis. I couldn't completely sever that bridge.

Wouldn't work for overnight shift, but for day shift when you usually have like 4-5 pharmacists on hand, you could put one of them on doing verification from home.

I've worked for two hospitals offering work from home order entry. Days evenings and overnights available. Openings are rare and they have a strong preference to hire from within the system.

I don't understand why the chains don't have work from home data entry/verification positions. There are stores with queues that are days behind.

I don't understand why the chains don't have work from home data entry/verification positions. There are stores with queues that are days behind.
Pretty sure Walgreens does have that but not every store has it.

we used to during "emergencies"- but we had to get special permission from the board of pharmacy - seamed silly the board had to give permission - but ya-

I have applied to any remote job listed on Indeed. Most of the interviews I have received are from recruiters looking for MTM support for x company or x PBM under a 1099 contract. I was honest with him and told him I need more security and interested in PA jobs. He was nice enough to tell me he has recruited for PA jobs for contract and if you perform well, the company will take you onboard. This process can last two years. The hourly rate is comparable to what I currently make at the VA but this is on a contract. He has told me this is the best way to get into PA MTM job.
Me best advice is to keep applying to any remote jobs.
Would you be willing to do order entry?
Having multiple licenses help also. Because I literally apply to anything remote, I had first contact with employers asking if I am licensed for X state.
If you enjoy medical writing, my friend just landed a job in this for a small start up, 75k a year. The flexibility is amazing but very intense work when deadlines are due in hours.
Make that linkedin profile! It helps.
I am glad I am not the only one bothered with coworkers wearing chin mask
What % of contract employees end up landing a full-time gig would you say? Also when they are looking to hire for a position, are they looking at specific state licenses or are they willing to work with someone with several nonspecific licenses?

For those who have remote positions, what % paycut did you take, if any? Are you allowed to work anywhere you want, or do you have to live in the state where you're licensed/practicing?

When pharmacists of a given pharmacy work from home, how would pharmacy laws define the physical location of the pharmacy? This affects what state licenses are required for the pharmacists. For example, one company has a physical dispensing pharmacy in X state, with a bunch of on-site dispensing pharmacists, this company also hires a bunch of WFH pharmacists in Y state. Does this pharmacy need to be licensed in Y state as a non-dispensing pharmacy? And, does these WFH pharmacists needs to hold multiple licenses or will the ones in X state cover them too?

Last edited:
  • Hmm
For those who have remote positions, what % paycut did you take, if any? Are you allowed to work anywhere you want, or do you have to live in the state where you're licensed/practicing?
No paycut. I actually ended up making slightly more than Walgreens. And I wasn’t making the ridiculous new grad salary they are handing out these days.

My job requires I live within driving distance of the office but the company has some pure telecommute roles. I’ve seen some remote positions that have state restrictions.

No paycut. I actually ended up making slightly more than Walgreens. And I wasn’t making the ridiculous new grad salary they are handing out these days.

My job requires I live within driving distance of the office but the company has some pure telecommute roles. I’ve seen some remote positions that have state restrictions.
What kind of restrictions?

The job postings I’ve seen usually say “must reside in X state” or “must reside in Y time zone”
Is it because if any remote pharmacist reside in a different state from the other remote pharmacists, the pharmacy needs to be licensed in that state?

What % of contract employees end up landing a full-time gig would you say? Also when they are looking to hire for a position, are they looking at specific state licenses or are they willing to work with someone with several nonspecific licenses?
I can not give you #s. My resume clearly states I am licensed in one state only, I have received calls nationwide but more in my licensed state. The job posting has a description of the licensure requirements. I would think PBMs have offices nationwide so I don't see how having a license in X state being a big issue.

When pharmacists of a given pharmacy work from home, how would pharmacy laws define the physical location of the pharmacy? This affects what state licenses are required for the pharmacists. For example, one company has a physical dispensing pharmacy in X state, with a bunch of on-site dispensing pharmacists, this company also hires a bunch of WFH pharmacists in Y state. Does this pharmacy need to be licensed in Y state as a non-dispensing pharmacy? And, does these WFH pharmacists needs to hold multiple licenses or will the ones in X state cover them too?
I always wondered about the legality of this and how to best protect my license, should something happen

Cardinal Health offers remote order entry RPh positions. Typically overnights covering for hospitals that are closed

Do you or anyone here know if these Cardinal Health jobs are any good? Pros/cons?

Do you or anyone here know if these Cardinal Health jobs are any good? Pros/cons?
it is remote order entry, but it is not WFH. You still need to go to the office every shift and remote enter from there.

it is remote order entry, but it is not WFH. You still need to go to the office every shift and remote enter from there.

Is it a good job? How are benefits? How is the stress level?

Depending on what you state you live in, Cigna has a few pharmacist WFH positions posted on their website that may be an option.