Working as an MA vs clinical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dookis

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm a college freshman and worked as an MA last summer before starting college at a dermatology office rooming patients, assisting in surgery, etc.

Is it a good idea to continue this a bit this summer? This summer I got a full time (40hr per week) volunteer position in an animal research lab, so I would have to find time to work as an MA on weekends or something like that.

Also, if I have worked as an MA (and will probably continue it the next few years) and also did 200 hours of volunteering in a hospital in high school, do I still need clinical volunteering at some point in college? I'm not sure if employment in a clinical setting will override the need for clinical/hospital volunteering.

Thank you!
 
I think you only list volunteer experience that you earned as an undergrad/grad. Unless you are planning on applying to Harvard. Experience as an MA will perhaps look better on your resume, IMO. A little bit of research experience won't hurt either. Priorities... Good Luck!
 
You need clinical experience. Working as an MA can serve that purpose.
You need research experience to be a strong candidate at some schools but not others. Serving as a volunteer in an animal lab can serve that purpose but you should aspire to work your way up from animal care to a greater responsibility for the scientific inquiry taking place there.
You need volunteer service of some kind. Volunteering is a lab doesn't count because it counts as research and working in the lab does count as helping the poor. Some people volunteer in a hospital or clinic and make it count as "clinical volunteering" but I've seen adcom members who specifically want to see something outside of the medical realm (not a double dip). There was a mention on another thread yesterday of Big Brothers/Big Sisters. A soup kitchen, food pantry (if face-to-face with those in need), tutoring program for youngsters or adults who are trying to get a high school diploma, or non-native English speakers (English as a Second Language), visiting shut-ins in their homes (one Ivy has such a program centered at a senior housing building not far from campus) or any number of other service activities in your community.