Working as an MA vs clinical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dookis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a college freshman and worked as an MA last summer before starting college at a dermatology office rooming patients, assisting in surgery, etc.

Is it a good idea to continue this a bit this summer? This summer I got a full time (40hr per week) volunteer position in an animal research lab, so I would have to find time to work as an MA on weekends or something like that.

Also, if I have worked as an MA (and will probably continue it the next few years) and also did 200 hours of volunteering in a hospital in high school, do I still need clinical volunteering at some point in college? I'm not sure if employment in a clinical setting will override the need for clinical/hospital volunteering.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you only list volunteer experience that you earned as an undergrad/grad. Unless you are planning on applying to Harvard. Experience as an MA will perhaps look better on your resume, IMO. A little bit of research experience won't hurt either. Priorities... Good Luck!

You need clinical experience. Working as an MA can serve that purpose.
You need research experience to be a strong candidate at some schools but not others. Serving as a volunteer in an animal lab can serve that purpose but you should aspire to work your way up from animal care to a greater responsibility for the scientific inquiry taking place there.
You need volunteer service of some kind. Volunteering is a lab doesn't count because it counts as research and working in the lab does count as helping the poor. Some people volunteer in a hospital or clinic and make it count as "clinical volunteering" but I've seen adcom members who specifically want to see something outside of the medical realm (not a double dip). There was a mention on another thread yesterday of Big Brothers/Big Sisters. A soup kitchen, food pantry (if face-to-face with those in need), tutoring program for youngsters or adults who are trying to get a high school diploma, or non-native English speakers (English as a Second Language), visiting shut-ins in their homes (one Ivy has such a program centered at a senior housing building not far from campus) or any number of other service activities in your community.

Reactions: 1 user