Working during school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joe101286

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you that are in pre-med hold down a part-time job during either the summer or school? I had gotten suggestions to take a class in phlebotomy at the community college and go work for a place like the Blood Bank or something with lab or any sort of hands on medical experience, but then I read in the Med School Guide how it's a mistake to take a job and juggle school at the same time. I'd like to know what you all do, and any suggestions you may have on what I should do when the time comes. Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

well, I put myself through college and worked 3 jobs for most of my time in undergrad (total of 30hrs/week) while taking a full course load, and worked full-time over the summers. I don't recommend doing that much-- my GPA for my freshman/sophomore years wasn't good and even though I did really well in my junior/senior years and in post-bacc work, my overall GPA is still below the average applicant's.

Overall, I think working in school is a good thing. You really have to prioritize your time and keep to a schedule to keep your grades up. Just don't go overboard like I did!!

I worked in a research lab, I worked in my dorm's office, and cleaned houses/did yard work. Ideally, I would have just done the lab job or the dorm office job. Lots of my friends had similar jobs or worked on campus in the library, student stores, or at a local restaurant and coffee shop and they did just fine. You just have to figure out what works best for you-- but you don't have to worry about it now.
:D

I dunno. I do it because I HAVE to. I was lucky to get a job working in a lab part-time and during vacations. But I can understand why lots of people shouldn't. It's a lot of stress. My first semester working was my worst when it came to grades. But I've really organized my time, so it's all good now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked as a tutor while in college; probably took at most 15 hours of my time per week, but i was also volunteering in a research office and doing things for one of my school clubs at the same time. Yeah, I think that these activities did take away from some of the time that I could have spent devoting to my studies. But do I regret it? Nope. I learned a lot more meaningful things being involved in these extracurriculars than I learned from any textbook in college, and that research experience really helped me to shape my philosophies for the type of physician I would like to be. Anyways, ultimately, you should do what makes you happy. Don't do something just because you think that's what you should be doing or because it's not what you should be doing. Get involved in things that you like; that's what makes you a unique person and ultimately a unique applicant. :)

TA in physics & teach for Kaplan

~10 hours per week total, managable

Although freshman year I did work at the hospital for a semester longer hours which was a bit much (16 hours per week, but in 8 hour shifts at a time...ate up the weekends).

I'd say its good, but certainly not necessary to have a few hours of work on the side.

Last year while going to school full-time I worked a little over 20 hours a week doing technical support for HP printers. I was still able to do well in school, but it definitely forced me to manage my time. In a way, I managed my time better then than I do now since I'm currently not working while going to school. I have so much free time that I wait until the last minute to do all my studying.

I have held a part-time job every semester, about 12 hours a week or so. Currently I work in a biology lab, which has been good experience and good exposure. It can be difficult to balance a job on top of EC's, volunteering, and a full course load, but it has really taught me time-management skills...plus I honestly don't have much of a choice because I need the money. I have also worked full-time during the summers, but that's another story since there is no school involved.
Could my grades have been just a little better if I hadn't had the job (and all of my EC's for that matter)? Yes, it could have. However, I have gained a lot from these experiences. My advice is to work if you need to, but if not, choose a few extracurricular activities and/or volunteer activities that you really feel you can stick with for a while, and just run with those.

Thanks for telling me about what you all do. I definitely don't want to be just sitting around doing nothing, and I would want to be involved in some kind of medical environment, if I could ever get a job doing just a few hours a week that would be great, but I'll see what the future brings. I really appreciate you all going through the trouble to tell me what you do. Thanks!

I'm working 16hrs/wk as an EMT on an ambulance, plus I may have another job with a 10-15hr time commitment interviewing people in healthcare for a book my school is writing, plus I volunteer. However, I am taking only two classes, both with labs. So you might not consider me a full-time student.

I'm working 40 hrs a week and going to school about 3/4 time. Plus I'm trying to plan my wedding and I play drums in a band. I am so stressed out I don't know what to do with myself. As a result, my performance in EVERYTHING is slipping. If there is any non-trads out there who have figured out how to cut their work schedule and make it work, I'm all ears.

Scott

Originally posted by scottjulie
If there is any non-trads out there who have figured out how to cut their work schedule and make it work, I'm all ears.

you know all that time you spend eating and sleeping? don't you have better uses for that time??:rolleyes:

just kidding. :D ;)

i currently work full-time and go to school full-time