Working full time hospital and per diem retail?

Started by kimjoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kimjoc

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if there are people who could give their input on working as a full time pharmacist in a hospital and taking on per diem/extra shifts in retail on their days off. How do you plan your schedules at both places?
 
I was wondering if there are people who could give their input on working as a full time pharmacist in a hospital and taking on per diem/extra shifts in retail on their days off. How do you plan your schedules at both places?
You'll have to get your schedule from your full time job and then provide the days you are unavailable to the PD employer ahead of time. You can turn down shifts as PD, but if you turn down too many, especially if they need coverage, the scheduler/manager will probably not like that and will start to give shifts to someone more reliable/available if they can.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Asking for too many pieces to fall into place at one time, perhaps this was more realistic during the good times. I would use my off days to get my mind off pharmacy.
 
i worked full time at hospital and per diem shifts in retail, i didnt think it was too bad, loved the extra money to put towards loan repayment. i also worked overnights at the hospital back then. now that i am not on overnights, it is a little difficult to work in retail because my schedule varies every week, so i am not able to pick up that many retail shifts.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Burn out is fairly likely.

This for sure.

Asking for too many pieces to fall into place at one time, perhaps this was more realistic during the good times. I would use my off days to get my mind off pharmacy.

This for sure.

I work full time at hospital 5 days a week, 40 hour weeks, including every other Saturday and Sunday. My days off are every other Tuesday and every other Wednesday, and every other weekend. I scheduled work every other Wednesday at an independent, every other Saturday at another independent, and every other Tuesday somewhere else. Also, I work in the mornings in Manhattan pharmacies before going into the hospital. Burn out is inevitable. Also, no time off. The money is good, but honestly after a few years it's not worth it anymore. I am looking to quit all my extra jobs in a few months.
 
I do it the other way around actually. Work full time retail and per diem hospital. At retail, I'm lucky to have a fixed 4 x 10 hr schedule, and the hospital is good at putting out 4 week schedules in advance, so I do every Saturday there. So I have a regular 5 day/wk schedule with Wed, Thurs off which is not too much to get burnt out. Sometimes I even pick up some extra shifts for some fun money.