Working in Guam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has known of EM doctors who have worked in Guam following residency. It seems like a pretty sweet place to live (I'm a surfer and have lived on another Island nearby Guam in the past).

Members don't see this ad.

I would be very hesitant to work in Guam... I personally have no experience, but according to our elected officials, Guam is in danger of tipping over into the ocean if more people go there...:oops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNZczIgVXjg

I would be very hesitant to work in Guam... I personally have no experience, but according to our elected officials, Guam is in danger of tipping over into the ocean if more people go there...:oops:

Perfect example in support of term limits! Next time I visit the beach I'll make sure someone is on the other side of the island to balance me out!!:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)

There I was worrying about the typhoons, when I should have been worrying about the island capsizing:scared::scared:

Perfect example in support of term limits! Next time I visit the beach I'll make sure someone is on the other side of the island to balance me out!!:eek:

Actually more like an example in support of real, substantive campaigns to replace the $$$ and TV commercial system currently in place that allows bumbling idiots like this one to get elected. Kudos for the admiral who was able to hold back from laughing in the idiot's face.

Guam is TB central among American turf (#1 incidence in the world, though, is the nearby Marshall Islands). Curfew at night, due to gangs, heavy military presence otherwise, and no military dependent has gone to school off-base since 1997.

Guam is TB central among American turf (#1 incidence in the world, though, is the nearby Marshall Islands). Curfew at night, due to gangs, heavy military presence otherwise, and no military dependent has gone to school off-base since 1997.

What?

Is this guy for real?

To the OP, as someone who currently lives on Guam and works in the ED at Guam Memorial Hospital I can tell you that we see TB every once in awhile. The Marshall Islands are not "nearby." Never heard of a curfew due to gangs in the 2 years I have lived here. Military makes up 10,000 of the total population of 160,000
The ED is great. Double coverage, triple on weekends. All the docs are happy. Guam is beautiful. Easy access to Asia and Australia.

What?

Is this guy for real?

To the OP, as someone who currently lives on Guam and works in the ED at Guam Memorial Hospital I can tell you that we see TB every once in awhile. The Marshall Islands are not "nearby." Never heard of a curfew due to gangs in the 2 years I have lived here. Military makes up 10,000 of the total population of 160,000
The ED is great. Double coverage, triple on weekends. All the docs are happy. Guam is beautiful. Easy access to Asia and Australia.

Yes, I am for real. Granted, my information on curfews is anecdotal, from several people that were AD. TB is not - that is data.

Hey, you love it - great. One recurrent thing I've heard from former military is that, given the choice, that's why they're not there. However, people will say wherever they are that it's the "best place ever".

And, comparatively along Pacific island lines, it's not too distant between Guam and the Marshall Islands.

Sorry for bumping this old thread. Cerb, I'm from Guam and I am currently working here in the public health centers. For me it's home so I might be biased on how much I love the place. I can speak for surfing though... (I don't surf, but I've lived both on Hawaii and Guam)... you gotta be REALLY good to surf on this island. The island is basically surrounded by a land shelf and a long reef... so the big waves rarely hit the beach and you will be spending a lot of time dodging the coral.

As for the ER, just be aware that the hospital is the only one on island. People here don't take very good care of themselves and you may be seeing patients for crappy reasons.

Again, for me.. it's home... but if you plan on working here I would keep an open mind.

Nardo