Working in London Before Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

bigchoader

I will be starting medical school in the US next year and I have decided to move to the UK (London most likely) for six months to work, live, travel, and just hang out. In considering employment opportunities, I have decided that I would like a job that pays a decent wage and offers alot of flexibility so that I would have the opportunity to travel every once in a while. I do not necessarily need a medically related. So far I have thought of Coffee shops like starbucks and pub jobs. Does anyone who has experience in London/UK have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I will be starting medical school in the US next year and I have decided to move to the UK (London most likely) for six months to work, live, travel, and just hang out. In considering employment opportunities, I have decided that I would like a job that pays a decent wage and offers alot of flexibility so that I would have the opportunity to travel every once in a while. I do not necessarily need a medically related. So far I have thought of Coffee shops like starbucks and pub jobs. Does anyone who has experience in London/UK have any suggestions?

Thanks.

I don't have suggestions for jobs, but would offer up for consideration that London is a wickedly expensive place to live. You might do better to find somewhere cheaper to live and work while seeking travel opportunities. I had a friend who lived in Brighton one summer and worked in a pub assuming that this would give her enough money to live and travel;since few people tip, you don't actually make a lot of money above your base wage, unlike in the US and Canada where tipping is considered good manners and a necessary part of the transaction unless you have received appallingly bad service. The UK in general is much more expensive than either Canada or the US. Good luck,
M

Hey,

I'm from London. Depending on your experience, it is difficult to get a job straight away especially if you're non-UK.
Are you thinking of working in a medical-based hospital/care setting to boost your work experience? Have a look at this website: http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/

I think arranging your visa, permit holder documents, etc. will take time as well. But if you have links (if you know people in London who have paid job) then you should contact them. That way they can give you direct help.

Good luck mate!

80s Love Child

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

I'm from London. Depending on your experience, it is difficult to get a job straight away especially if you're non-UK.
Are you thinking of working in a medical-based hospital/care setting to boost your work experience? Have a look at this website: http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/

I think arranging your visa, permit holder documents, etc. will take time as well. But if you have links (if you know people in London who have paid job) then you should contact them. That way they can give you direct help.

Good luck mate!

80s Love Child

I am going with a BUNAC card, its a 6 month work permit for students and recent students. i have scoured jobs.nhs.uk for months and I have considered using it. On the other hand I was also thinking about just working in a cafe or pub. I am looking for flexibility so that I can have some time to travel. With regards to money, it would be nice to be able to pay about 100 pounds a week in rent and have more money to buy some other essentials (use your imagination). so maybe 200 pounds/week? 150?

How much does a starbucks pay? how about a Pret? Non-live in pub jobs? Jobs at hospitals (the NHS website only seems to quote salaries)? If I could make in the mid 6.60's I could work 30 hours a week and break the 200 pound mark. Any suggestions for making this much or more?

jobs in pubs and cafes are aquired pretty informally, you just need to get a CV together, put on a comfortable pair of shoes and walk into the pubs and cafes and ask if they have any job openings. Or you could join up with a temping agency (like manpower, Blue Arrow, Kelly, office Angels) and they will find the jobs for you.

As for salary - you're probably looking at anything from 5 - 6 pounds/hour for working in a pub/cafe to about 8 pounds for clerical work through an agency. And remember you may have to pay taxes, i'm not sure what your situation is.

As for rent, for a one 1/1 in central london proper and surrounding areas (so from zone 1 - 5) I think that it would be really difficult (but not impossible) to find somewhere for 100pounds/week. You're looking at 200 - 1000 pounds per week with bills and everything. It's probably less if you rent with others. You should consider staying at a youth hostel instead of trying to rent a place, that's what alot of working backpackers do whilst in London.

Do you have any clerical experience? Because as a high-school student/medical student I worked as a medical secretary : salaries usually start at 9pounds/hour, with most jobs paying >10pounds/hour.

I'm interested in this topic as well.

Currently, I'm looking into a week-long working holiday with the national trust (http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/mai.../w-workingholidays-about_working_holidays.htm)
but I'm still considering some other options.

It seems like those who have graduated for more than one semester can't do BUNAC, so that option's closed to me. I would love to get a job at a pub or restaurant, but I have no food service experience, and I'm not sure that working illegally is the best thing to do just prior to starting med school. I mean, what if you get caught?

At this point, my summer abroad is all up in the air. Oh, I've got a friend doing her PhD in Wales, so I was planning on visiting her some time during this trip. Advice would be appreciated.