Working in the VA as a veteran

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slinger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduate this May with my MSW. It is a totally clinically focused program, and I did my 2 semester clinical internship at a VA hospital on the acute psych inpatient unit and outpatient mental health clinic providing psychotherapy. I am 26 years old, and the WHOLE reason I got into this business was to treat Veterans. I am a Veteran myself, and developed a passion/obsession for wanting to improve the quality of mental health care provided.

As my internship has been continuing, I have noticed a growing trend of perfectly qualified clinical social workers being used primarily as "case managers", and psychologists used for strictly therapy and psych testing at VA hospitals. I feel that case management really is a BSW thing, I do understand how extremely important it is (especially as a psychosocial stressor), but it isn't my thing. I don't want this to turn into a social worker vs. psychologist thread, as I am sure there are plenty to go around.

I have been seriously looking at the PsyD Clinical Psychology: Military Track at Adler Professional School of Psychology in Chicago. As well as a few others, Argosy in Denver, etc, etc.

My ultimate goal is to provide Psychotherapy at a VA hospital or Army hospital for that matter. I don't want to spend a career within a culture that views social work as "case management", when the people providing the case management are at the therapist level.

Would this be a feasible transition for me? From MSW to PsyD? This would be obviously a few years down the road, as I would probably work at a VA to have some applicable experience. Of course all VA hospitals require the program to be APA accredited, so that rules out ANY online schools.

Ideally, I would like to do a partial online school, so I could work on the PsyD slowly. Please give me your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand, VA positions are quite competitive and I wonder if you'd have a chance if you obtained your degree from a prof school. Perhaps others can provide you with more feedback.

Well I am a disabled combat Veteran. I am pretty much guaranteed a position at the VA in this field if I applied, as there are not too many combat vets with this sort of professional degree. I am awarded 10 points hiring preference.

Members don't see this ad :)
VA positions have been plentiful but are now beginning to decrease as their ramping up of mental health services is winding down. Many future VA psychologists come in via predoc internship (they like to hold on to their interns if they like them). However, VA internships are some the most competitive internship slots to get. Thus, one really needs to have quality and reputable graduate clinical training in order to compete. I would not count on your veteran status carrying much weight in that process. I would not suggest doing anything online.

Last edited:
I guess I am somewhat confused by what you are saying. "Hold on to interns if they like them". I think you might be a little confused on the federal hiring process. One of the reasons I got the internship I have now was because of my employable probability. They knew that If I applied to a job that was open after my internship, I would get it because of my preference. Thus, an important reason to bring on a person with Veterans preference as an intern. There is no "keeping an intern" from the inside type of thing. All jobs are posted and are competed for, including Psychologists.

I do agree with you that VA internships are competitive.

I am looking for advice on transitioning from MSW to a PsyD or PhD program. How is the MSW looked at? I will not be doing an online program, due to the APA problems with it.

I just meant that many doctoral level psychologists who currently work at a VA also did their predoc internship year at a VA facility. One factor in selecting interns for predoc internship is their perceived fit with the site. One of those factors for the VA is if the person desires to have a career as a VA psychologist. They like to bring in people to their internships who will stay in the VA system. Of course, they still have to apply for available positions though.

If you have good stats, GREs, etc. a MSW will not be a barrier to being competitive for a Psy.D program.

Ahh, I see. Sorry for the misinterpretation. I absolutely agree with that. The same with my Social Work internship there right now, they had about 45 applicants and only 6 go in. I was 1 of 6. Only 4 of 6 got the monthly stipend of $1000, I was 1 of those lucky 4. I definitely plan on staying within the VA treating Vets. Like I said, it's why I got into this field.

If you are interested in veteran service and military psychology, check out Uniformed Service University. They have a PhD program specifically designed for clinical and military psych.

If you are interested in veteran service and military psychology, check out Uniformed Service University. They have a PhD program specifically designed for clinical and military psych.

Thanks for the info! I honestly have never heard of them. I scanned through the programs on the site, but it looks like it is strictly for people in the uniformed services (not civilian). I am not in the military anymore (can't get back in due to my having to much fun jumping out of helicopters and getting injured). I really am looking for a civilian track.

Well I am a disabled combat Veteran. I am pretty much guaranteed a position at the VA in this field if I applied, as there are not too many combat vets with this sort of professional degree. I am awarded 10 points hiring preference.

Thanks for your service brother! :thumbup:

While there is a hiring preference (sweet for vets! :)), I have noticed that VAs have varying preferences in terms of training and degree requirements for psychologists. Across the board, clinical PhD seems "preferred" while facilities have different views on hiring counseling PhD or clinical PsyD. Just make sure the PsyD is acceptable for the facility you are interested in because veteran hiring preference will not override a position requirement.

From what I understand, VA positions are quite competitive and I wonder if you'd have a chance if you obtained your degree from a prof school. Perhaps others can provide you with more feedback.

I also agree with this comment. Just be careful and examine the professional school vs. university options toward PsyD. Either way, your MSW should be a strong benefit.

GOOD LUCK. :luck:

I guess I am somewhat confused by what you are saying. "Hold on to interns if they like them". I think you might be a little confused on the federal hiring process. One of the reasons I got the internship I have now was because of my employable probability. They knew that If I applied to a job that was open after my internship, I would get it because of my preference. Thus, an important reason to bring on a person with Veterans preference as an intern. There is no "keeping an intern" from the inside type of thing. All jobs are posted and are competed for, including Psychologists.

I do agree with you that VA internships are competitive.

I am looking for advice on transitioning from MSW to a PsyD or PhD program. How is the MSW looked at? I will not be doing an online program, due to the APA problems with it.

erg is one the most jaded posters I've seen around these parts, even if he has a heart of gold. Dont be dismayed by what you read.

However, having worked in the VA for a while I can tell you that social workers are our case managers so you are on the right track to get a psyd if you want to do therapy. I'd say go for a phd if you could swing it but a psyd would work too. You seem pretty driven and you do have preference with your veteran status so capitalize on that drive.

Having an MSW will help you I think when you are trying to go into a program if you sell it the right way. I'd urge you to look at your goals though because the MSWs I work with are highly involved and supportive in the lives of the vets and actually are the nexus of many treatments and care. All the msws I know find it very rewarding. How long have you been doing it? What will you get out of providing therapy that you wouldn't get by being an msw?

Thanks for the info! I honestly have never heard of them. I scanned through the programs on the site, but it looks like it is strictly for people in the uniformed services (not civilian). I am not in the military anymore (can't get back in due to my having to much fun jumping out of helicopters and getting injured). I really am looking for a civilian track.

There is a civilian track, and it is highly competitive, but if you are a good fit for the program, I would apply!

Mark

PS - I am a student at USUHS.