Working in UK after IM and Heme/Onc in USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pseudoprogression

Reaction score
I am completing my residency in Internal Medicine and will be starting my fellowship in Heme/Onc at an NCI designated academic cancer institute. Due to personal reasons, I have to consider moving to UK after fellowship. The difficult thing is, since there is not much precedent of this, the information on the websites is scant to none, and I have not been able to find any people to get insight from. Will much appreciate if someone can guide.

Members don't see this ad.

Well Don't you have to go through the British system of residency and fellowship in order to work there? In the same vein that a British physician would have to go through an American residency and fellowship if he were to come here, right?
No, not exactly. There are pathways for it in the UK. There are much easier pathways in places like Canada and NZ though.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why doesn't the US have such pathways?
Protectionism.

That said, there are pathways to practice in the US without repeating residency/fellowship training in the US, for those residency/fellowship trained in other parts of the world. But they tend to be limited in scope and are largely intended for academics.

Protectionism.

That said, there are pathways to practice in the US without repeating residency/fellowship training in the US, for those residency/fellowship trained in other parts of the world. But they tend to be limited in scope and are largely intended for academics.

It's stupid. In a country with a physician shortage and that now allows mid-levels to practice independently, I would think there'd be a reasonable way to allow (maybe even recruit) good doctors from Europe to practice, without making them repeat their training.

I'm not suggesting all of Europe--former eastern soviet block countries aside---but at least the reliable ones with similar standards, England, France, Germany.

Reactions: 1 user
It's stupid. In a country with a physician shortage and that now allows mid-levels to practice independently, I would think there'd be a reasonable way to allow (maybe even recruit) good doctors from Europe to practice, without making them repeat their training.

I'm not suggesting all of Europe--former eastern soviet block countries aside---but at least the reliable ones with similar standards, England, France, Germany.

Agree it is stupid. But the physician shortage is a lie. There is a physician distribution problem. We are going to see lots of manifestations of physician oversupply in various specialties the near future. (We are already starting to see this.)

Is there really a physician shortage, or a shortage of hospitals that want to pay physicians what they should to work in undesirable locations?

But the physician shortage is a lie. There is a physician distribution problem.

Is there really a physician shortage, or a shortage of hospitals that want to pay physicians what they should to work in undesirable locations?

Good points. Efff this profession and all of its hypocrisy. I quit.

Reactions: 1 user
It appears the 'oversupply' occurs before and after residency. This article mentions some of the issue ,especially as it pertains to international medical graduates,but not too well researched and investigated to identify the cause.