Other OT-Related Information Working While in OT School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epsoftball9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my family support is nonexistent since I came out and I am not 110% sure if I could handle school and working. I want to focus on my studies, but I don't want to be up to my ears in loans after graduating.

Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm team loans, at least for the first semester. Maybe if you can find something per diem, but no more than that. It's stressful, I personally barely feel like I can keep up and I barely work.

I'm sorry to hear about your family (they're being ridiculous), but many of us don't get support in grad school for whatever reason, so we suffer through the loans.

Good luck with your situation!

I'm team loans, at least for the first semester. Maybe if you can find something per diem, but no more than that. It's stressful, I personally barely feel like I can keep up and I barely work.

I'm sorry to hear about your family (they're being ridiculous), but many of us don't get support in grad school for whatever reason, so we suffer through the loans.

Good luck with your situation!
Glad to know I am not alone. I felt like a lot of people I talked to had financial support for tuition for their parents so I was really shocked! Thank you though!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going the loan route. I plan to crash with my parents for a year or two afterwards and pay all my student loans off before house hunting. That's assuming, I don't meet anyone. I always plan for the worst case scenario. Lol

In my school, professors support students working in the first semester. Beyond that it gets a little tricky, #teamloans from semester 2 on.

In my school, professors support students working in the first semester. Beyond that it gets a little tricky, #teamloans from semester 2 on.
Our first semester is our hardest, or so the professors/second years tell us. Therefore, it's best to ask the second years since every school is different. I'm glad I'm just a grad assistant.

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting. Okay I will plan accordingly. Still hoping MCPHS gets back to me soon!

Loans are always an option, especially as others have stated for the first semester until you get in there and get to know what is required of you. You may want to look into assistantships through the school as well. These will put money toward your tuition and are usually pretty understanding as far as hours go especially around busy times like midterms and finals. I was able to work 8-12 hours most weeks without a problem, however my job was per diem which allowed for flexibility if there was a week I couldn't work. This does not make enough to cover the entire cost of school but it does help to put a dent in it. I would say work over the summer and if possible take a break the first semester, if this isn't possible try to find somewhere that lets you work 8-12 hours a week. There are also weekend or hybrid programs if you want to look into those which may require less face to face time and are designed for the working adult. I know this can all seem overwhelming and stressful, but you can make it work. If you have any questions don't hesitate! Best of luck!

I plan on babysitting after the first semester

Reactions: 1 users
Loans are always an option, especially as others have stated for the first semester until you get in there and get to know what is required of you. You may want to look into assistantships through the school as well. These will put money toward your tuition and are usually pretty understanding as far as hours go especially around busy times like midterms and finals. I was able to work 8-12 hours most weeks without a problem, however my job was per diem which allowed for flexibility if there was a week I couldn't work. This does not make enough to cover the entire cost of school but it does help to put a dent in it. I would say work over the summer and if possible take a break the first semester, if this isn't possible try to find somewhere that lets you work 8-12 hours a week. There are also weekend or hybrid programs if you want to look into those which may require less face to face time and are designed for the working adult. I know this can all seem overwhelming and stressful, but you can make it work. If you have any questions don't hesitate! Best of luck!
Thank you so much for your insight :) I really appreciate it

Reactions: 1 user