Workplace does not want to hire new grad?

Started by mac_kin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mac_kin

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What can I do in this situation?

I've found a couple "ideal" job postings but each time I apply I do not receive any responses. Usually after a 2-3 days, I follow up with a phone call and they tell me they appreciate my interest but they don't want to take on a new grad. (i.e. don't want to take the time to mentor/train/supervise). I can understand that when you own a practice, your goals are to make profit, but why not give a new grad a chance?

It sucks because I really want to work with the ortho population, and so far I have only had interviews in hospitals / rehab centres for neuro/cardio-resp positions. I know that I can get a job at a hospital any time but I'm really leaning into ortho. Every time I apply to a private ortho clinic I get the same story.