Worried About Not Getting In

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychLVR

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I am new to the Forum and am looking for a little advice. I graduated undergrad in May 2007 and took a year off before applying to master's programs. I have applied to two programs at CU Denver (masters in clinical and masters in counseling) and one program at DU (masters in counseling). I have heard back from CU Denver's Counseling program and was rejected and not sure why. I recently heard from DU's program and was told that I was put on the alternate list. I am curious if anyone has any advice about what I should do now that I am on the alternate list. I have emailed the director of the program thanking them for still considereing me. But I am worried because DU is my top choice and I really want to do whatever I can to get in...
Also I have not yet heard back from the Clinical program at CU Denver and am getting a little worried and not sure what to do from here.
I appriciate anyone's advice!

Members don't see this ad.

i am not familiar with the submission process for countries other than Australia, but what is your area of interest? And were you applying for a Masters in Research or by Coursework?

perhaps you did not make a proposal that was within a supervisors field? Or were not "explicit" in linking your interest to their interest. I also found that linking my topic to the overall aim of the School and or University (for jcu it was people, identity and place and my research topic was indoor navigation using a virtual environment).

none of this may be relevant tho if your submission procecss is entirely different to ours :)

First, thank you for your response! I appriciate it. Actually I mentioned interest in neuroscience in my essay. During the interview the professor expressed concern that I may be more interested in Clinical Psych rather than counseling psych (their program). I told her that it was one area of interest, but I had many others. So I think you are correct...but now I'm not quite sure what to do or if there is anything I can do to prove to the admissions commitee that the program is right for me.
Has anyone else had any experience with being placed on the alternate list? What happened? And what did you do? I appriciate any opinions...thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
can you see if you can resubmit?

i tutor psych online and would be happy to read through your proposal and help you align it to the supervisor and uni goals. pm me if interested and i can give you my blog addy and private email.

i've not heard of an alternate list-soz

regards,
char

Thank you so much for offering your help. I'm not sure if I can re-submit, but if I do not get accepted I will definately be reapplying next year. I'm not sure what pm means? I'm new to the forum and am not familiar with the lingo..

you can private message or email me anyitme :) hope they do let you resubmit, and if not hope your year is chock full of practical experience in areas that relate to your next submission.

Hey psych---- PM if you wish, I was in the same boat as you, and in Colorado in fact :) there aren't too many of us out here... but did you interview at DU? to me, it sounded like you interviewed at some place... maybe we ran into each other at the DU interview... UCD totally rejected me from their clin psych program... I was also rejected from UCCS's clin psych program... I had pretty good GREs, but both rejected me for reasons that were my GPA... it is at a 2.7 and that wasnt "clinical" enough... but DU accepted me, I would love to chat with you, talk with you about your experience, GPA, GRE scores and if you did interview at DU... let me know!:D

Hi All,
I am new to the Forum and am looking for a little advice. I graduated undergrad in May 2007 and took a year off before applying to master's programs. I have applied to two programs at CU Denver (masters in clinical and masters in counseling) and one program at DU (masters in counseling). I have heard back from CU Denver's Counseling program and was rejected and not sure why. I recently heard from DU's program and was told that I was put on the alternate list. I am curious if anyone has any advice about what I should do now that I am on the alternate list. I have emailed the director of the program thanking them for still considereing me. But I am worried because DU is my top choice and I really want to do whatever I can to get in...
Also I have not yet heard back from the Clinical program at CU Denver and am getting a little worried and not sure what to do from here.
I appriciate anyone's advice!

Were you accepted for an interview at CU Denver's Counseling program, or did they just deny you outright? I attended their interview, but haven't heard back yet.

Jdwagg,
I was just denied...they sent me an email. They didn't even offer an interview. But for their Clinical Program I still havent heard anything, so I dont think they are on the ball.

Hey am new to this forum, just found it the other day actually while looking for information about the programs in Counseling Psych I applied to and I ran across this thread.

I also applied to the DU MA Counseling Psych program and was accepted, but was unable to attend interview day. For those who did or for those who have any additional info about the DU program, I would really appreciate it, trying to decide between a few programs now....decisions, decisions!