Worried I Might Lose My Spot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ashleigh99MD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have had 1 II and have been accepted to one MD school this cycle. I don't have any other II and don't realistically expect one at this point (borderline applicant, ORM, this is my state school).

I made a mistake on my AMCAS that I didn't notice until after it had been verified. I listed my summer job during Freshman and Sophomore years of undergrad (7-8 years ago) as Community Service/Volunteering instead of Paid Employment. It was too late from AMCAS to change the application so I emailed every school that I still have applications at to tell them of the mistake. Most schools either included the email in my file or had a way to update via their school portal.

Sadly, the one school I was accepted to merely emailed back that they do not accept updates! I have heard horror stories of schools revoking acceptances or even degrees because of something not true on an application. I didn't intentionally lie, but it does look like I have more volunteer hours than I actually do. I don't know what else I can do. Am I at risk of losing my only chance of becoming a doctor?

Members don't see this ad.

I have had 1 II and have been accepted to one MD school this cycle. I don't have any other II and don't realistically expect one at this point (borderline applicant, ORM, this is my state school).

I made a mistake on my AMCAS that I didn't notice until after it had been verified. I listed my summer job during Freshman and Sophomore years of undergrad (7-8 years ago) as Community Service/Volunteering instead of Paid Employment. It was too late from AMCAS to change the application so I emailed every school that I still have applications at to tell them of the mistake. Most schools either included the email in my file or had a way to update via their school portal.

Sadly, the one school I was accepted to merely emailed back that they do not accept updates! I have heard horror stories of schools revoking acceptances or even degrees because of something not true on an application. I didn't intentionally lie, but it does look like I have more volunteer hours than I actually do. I don't know what else I can do. Am I at risk of losing my only chance of becoming a doctor?

I don't think you've lost your chance at becoming a doctor.

You've emailed them about your mistake. It was an honest mistake. You messed up the classification of the work, but you still put in those hours. If this ever gets on their radar, they can always check with the contact you listed. You'll be fine.

Just, triple check your documents in the future, okay? Next time a documentation error might actually matter to someone's life.

Reactions: 1 user
They really don't care what you classify it as... They care about the substance of the activity. You are fine, congrats on your acceptance!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you've lost your chance at becoming a doctor.

You've emailed them about your mistake. It was an honest mistake. You messed up the classification of the work, but you still put in those hours. If this ever gets on their radar, they can always check with the contact you listed. You'll be fine.

Just, triple check your documents in the future, okay? Next time a documentation error might actually matter to someone's life.

Lol

The fact that you tried to correct it/update will shield you from the already minuscule odds that this becomes an issue !

Reactions: 3 users
I think you will be OK on this one. Honest mistakes like this, a mere classification error no less (you did not outright lie), are not as severe as manufacturing parts of your application. Trying to get it corrected shows good faith too. Would have to be a very draconian medical school adcom to go so far as to revoke the accept

Yea, it's hilarious when WSPEs occur or a surgical specimen is misidentified. I keep forgetting patient safety is a joke; thanks for the reminder.

Yes, because a minor mistake on a medical school application and misidentification of surgical specimens go hand in hand.

I bet there is data out there that correlates the two
-_-.

Reactions: 1 user
They really don't care what you classify it as... They care about the substance of the activity. You are fine, congrats on your acceptance!

I think you will be OK on this one. Honest mistakes like this, a mere classification error no less (you did not outright lie), are not as severe as manufacturing parts of your application. Trying to get it corrected shows good faith too. Would have to be a very draconian medical school adcom to go so far as to revoke the accept

It was an honest mistake, but it also makes it appear like I volunteered for a job I was paid for so it seems so significant to me. It was a long time ago and non-medical. The hours and descriptions are accurate. Hopefully I'm just being neurotic, but it's hard not to worry that after achieving my dream I could lose it. I would sleep a lot better if they would have accepted the update.

Any chance any of our Adcoms have experiences with similar mistakes on applications causing problems for students down the line?
@gonnif @gyngyn @Goro @LizzyM

This is next to nothing; there is no reason to paranoid about it or even worry about it. It is the equivalent of a typo; if a question comes up as you simply tell them it was error on your part as you clicked the wrong things

Thank You!