worried premed student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

..med..

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a second year (3rd semester) undergrad student and I have taken most of my pre-med prereqs but have not been doing well. C in bio, C in Orgo 1 and 2 other C- which I am retaking. My cumulative GPA as of right now standing just above a 3.0. The classes I have left to take are Orgo 2(and lab), Biochem and some other science classes like A&P.
I have not taken my MCAT yet, and I plan to take it sometime in fall 2018 or spring 2019. I am planning to apply for MD and DO schools (i honestly love the DO approach, might focus on those more). My extracurriculars are pretty decent and unique.

My question is, do I still have a chance at Medical school? What recommendations do you guys have while I still have a chance to make my application clean?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It’s still way early for you. Assuming you take a gap year, you aren’t even half way done with classes. This means over 50% of your gpa is STILL in your control.

Learn from your mistakes in these first few semesters and get a strong upward trend. You’re going to be FINE, as long as you recognize what changes you need to make, and you act on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Too hard to tell until we can see something of a final GPA and MCAT score. You are not ruled out at this point... you just need to do well in the rest of your courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I am a second year (3rd semester) undergrad student and I have taken most of my pre-med prereqs but have not been doing well. C in bio, C in Orgo 1 and 2 other C- which I am retaking. My cumulative GPA as of right now standing just above a 3.0. The classes I have left to take are Orgo 2(and lab), Biochem and some other science classes like A&P.
I have not taken my MCAT yet, and I plan to take it sometime in fall 2018 or spring 2019. I am planning to apply for MD and DO schools (i honestly love the DO approach, might focus on those more). My extracurriculars are pretty decent and unique.

My question is, do I still have a chance at Medical school? What recommendations do you guys have while I still have a chance to make my application clean?

Thanks.
Get thee to your school's learning or education center, STAT.

Reactions: 2 users
Here is some math for you.

Assuming you get straight A's for the next 5 semesters and your credit load is constant: (3.0*3 + 4.0*5)/8 = 3.63, i.e. adequate for some MD schools and many DO schools.

Are you overloading on courses? Pre-meds at my school used to bite off way more than they could chew in a semester and flunk something, then drop pre-med due to low GPA. I'd suggest <16 credits/semester and maintaining laser focus on getting A's. If you are already doing that (and even if you are not) then Goro's advice is sage.

Assuming you get straight A's for the next 5 semesters and your credit load is constant: (3.0*3 + 4.0*5)/8 = 3.63, i.e. adequate for some MD schools and many DO schools.

Are you overloading on courses? Pre-meds at my school used to bite off way more than they could chew in a semester and flunk something, then drop pre-med due to low GPA. I'd suggest <16 credits/semester and maintaining laser focus on getting A's. If you are already doing that (and even if you are not) then Goro's advice is sage.
Thank you for your input.

Yes, I think I really need to manage my time and schedule better then.

Pump the brakes.

You gotta stop talking about planning to take the MCAT "sometime in fall 2018 or spring 2019" - what is the rush?

Figure out how to start mastering the course material. If you are getting C in bio, C's in ochem... What's next? How is that going to convert to a good MCAT score when it is based on bio/chem/biochem/etc?

Figure out why you are not doing well. Then, start doing better in classes. Start to do better for a while and then you'll be in a position to start thinking about the MCAT. You still have time to figure things out and graduate with a good GPA. First things first.

Hello,

Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

Thanks.
Theres always a chance. Kill it this next year, get that GPA up to 3.5 if possible. Maybe Post Bac if necessary to do so. Its good you like DO becasue theyll accept a bit lower GPA/MCAT. Kill the MCAT and youll get in. We both know C's don't look good, especially in the science's, but if you step your game up you can def make it in eventually. Keep pushing, best of luck.

Theres always a chance. Kill it this next year, get that GPA up to 3.5 if possible. Maybe Post Bac if necessary to do so. Its good you like DO becasue theyll accept a bit lower GPA/MCAT. Kill the MCAT and youll get in. We both know C's don't look good, especially in the science's, but if you step your game up you can def make it in eventually. Keep pushing, best of luck.
Dude, you need to check dates before you post. You've made three posts on SDN so far, and two of them were to threads that have been dead for months.

windows necropost.jpg

Thou shalt not necropost.

Also, an apostrophe for "sciences" but not for "there's", "it's", "they'll", or "you'll"? C'mon, man.

Reactions: 1 users