1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

worried sick

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by xplayer2885, Mar 22, 2007.

1. xplayer2885

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Im in my 2nd year of undergrad, An last semester my grades tanked, i got a c+ in chem one an a d+ in calc1, an a c+ in statistic's. My only grades below a B. Very very bad. Now i have a 3.0 GPA. But this semester is amost over (5 weeks left) i have 2 B+'s one in micro bio an another in chem2. The other three classes i have A's. But im still extremely worried. Is it anything to panic over. Am i over???

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. xdianaax

xdianaax In memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I read in a previous thread this "don't stress" method, try that! :) Seriously though, I think as long as you make up for it they'll see you got yourself back on track, we're human, humans make mistakes.

4. dr.rex

dr.rex rexadactyl nights
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    best thing you can do is keep trying to get the best grades possible it will all fall into place, do your best in your classes then study hard for the DAT then apply .....dont let all this stress ruin your life because life is too short and so is college i wasted too much time stressing and i regret it but i am glad i got into school but i missed out on a lot of things

5. dmd2011

dmd2011 Random Hero
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    dont panic there is still plenty of time to bring up that gpa. it sounds like your headed in a good direction. keep working hard.

6. xplayer2885

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Iv learned through my failurs that if you dont have much of a social life in our major. But i wanna make it so bad so i try an not let that bother me too much. Good think summer is around the corner:)

7. prplmnkydshwshr

prplmnkydshwshr Membership Revoked
    Removed

kinda sounds like you're too dumb for dschool. have you thought about hygiene school?

8. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    ouch.:(

9. prplmnkydshwshr

prplmnkydshwshr Membership Revoked
    Removed

"ouch" said the man with a farting avatar :thumbdown:

10. PennPB

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The only time a guy should concede to defeat, is if he gave it all and still came up short. Sounds like you are improving by quite a bit, so I don't think you should, in any way, start folding your cards just yet. Show improvement in the rest of the remaining years, and don't forget to enjoy college in the process. This will show maturity, personal development, and subsequent academic improvement - key elements for anyone entering a health profession.

11. lgwdnbdgr

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Assuming all five classes this semester are the same number of credits, you are currently pulling a 3.72 GPA for this term. Add that into your previous three semesters averaging a 3.0 (assuming you average the same number of credits as this term) and you'll finish this term with a 3.18 cumulative GPA. A 3.18 is certainly more than enough to get considered by most, if not all, dental schools. Search around; there are many students admitted with a lower GPA than you have now. On top of that, it appears as though you are improving, so you'll probably apply with a higher GPA than 3.18.

A 3.18 isn't high enough to *drive* a successful application, but it definitely isn't low enough to kill one.

12. dmd2011

dmd2011 Random Hero
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    with a gpa in the low 3 range, the OP should focus on doing very well on the DAT. most lower GPA applicants who get accepted seem to have above average DAT scores.

13. cptdemorgan

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Truth is, it is extremely difficult to get into dental school right now and the most minor infractions on your application will be seriously detrimental. That said, i don't think you have a 0% chance of admittance but you are in bad shape. I think very high DAT grades will be essential for giving you any shot and furthermore, i would strongly consider retaking those classes in which you did so poorly or take upper level classes in those fields and excel in them. Good luck