Worried

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myopia0017

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a BIG problem. I just graduated my my B.S in Bio, Overall GPA 3.38. I have 2.5+ years experience as an Opt. Tech, I've done about 70-80 hours of shadowing doctors in different practices, I was in a couple of clubs and held two officer positions, one being an optometry society,I have a lot of volunteer hours and other extracurricular activities behind me, I have great LORS (in fact i think too many; i have about 6-7 from Optometrists alone), BUT i just took the OAT (only had 20 days to study after graduation) and got AA 290 and TS 280. EXTREMELY LOW SCORES. But, I will still try to apply to SCCO for FALL 09. I also have 1 pre-req left to take (stats) that I will be takinng at a CC in August. I plan to retake the OAT in SEPT-OCT.

IS IT STILL WORTH IT FOR ME TO EVEN TRY TO APPLY WITH THOSE SCORES? I know SCCO won't accept anything below 300.

DO I EVEN HAVE A CHANCE LEFT TO MAKE MY APPLICATION LOOK GOOD?

Members don't see this ad.

aside from your OAT scores, your application sounds fantastic. just get your scores up a little bit and i'm sure you'll have no problem getting in.

Members don't see this ad :)
SCCO is more picky than most schools with regards to a minimum acceptance criteria (3.0 gpa, 300 on the OATs). Unless you can pass the minimum acceptance criteria, don't apply to SCCO just yet. Retake the OATs, your GPA won't keep you out!

SCCO is more picky than most schools with regards to a minimum acceptance criteria (3.0 gpa, 300 on the OATs).

That's really not that picky. A 3.0 is a B average and a 300 is the average on the OAT.

1) Lock yourself in an (extended stay suite hotel room) for the time you have left......
2) Use Kaplan or Princeton Review OAT materials
3) Don't go out, hang out with friends, or anything social.
4) STUDY, STUDY, STUDY STUDY
5) Take the test as soon as possible
6) get above 300 in EVERY section and your AA/ TS will be in the 300's.

Remember, schools frown on sub-300 scores in OAT sections. If you had a 330 TS or AA and one 290 in a section you might be able to slide----MAYBE but not typically........Shoot for 320-330 AA or TS at least if not more.....!!!!!

Good luck! Kick butt.....

Don't worry about the math section....it's a speed test and is not that heavily weighted when looking at OAT scores. Plus, most schools will get a print-out of the average for the OAT exam and for each section. Try for 300s on all sections, but realize that if the average was a 290 and you got anywhere near that, then you did fine. Some schools, like the one I went to and sat on the admissions board for, will take the highest scores.

You have a good GPA and experience, just work on getting those OAT scores up and you should be fine!