Worried

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AG2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey:

I am currently a freshman and have received my Bio I grade, a C-!!!
I am very worried that I will not be able to attend a good Medical school how much does this C- effect my chances of getting into a good well recognized medical school, and what should I do to better my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you should worry about one C- you got the first semester your freshman year! You have plenty of time to redeem yourself!

That being said, it will hurt your science GPA big time. You need to really pull it together and get some A's in subsequent science classes.

As someone who got a C in their first semester freshman year in General Chem I, I completely understand how you feel. I freaked out, I was really worried, but you know what? Now I'm a senior, I've bumped my BCPM GPA back up to a 3.2-3.3, and I highly doubt anyone's going to make a big fuss about some 100-level chemistry class I took my freshman year. I've taken orgo and biochem and shown that I can do it- I've proven myself. You can too.

You should take a hard look at what happened: where'd you go wrong? Use this as a learning experience to improve upon and don't make the same mistakes next semester. But seriously, you have a long way to go; don't give up easy, and don't worry about this one grade. How are your other science grades this semester?

I only took Bio I with lab this semester and I dont have my lab grade yet but I am sure it is def higher then a C-.
I appr ur reply I do need to start making some changes.
The thing is that I really had my heart set on Columbia( I know long way to go). Now i am really scared that I might not get a chance. But the c- is my lowest grade.

I just really upset

Members don't see this ad :)
To the OP, I got a C+ in Bio I (not as a freshman, but as a junior). It did some damage to my GPA but not irreparably so. I had a string of A's in my other pre-req classes and ended with a BCPM of 3.63, currently holding an MD acceptance.

Moral of the story: all is not lost, but you should know it will be more difficult from here on out.

The situation sounds pretty dire to me. You barely passed the easiest science class you will ever take from here on out. What happened?

The situation sounds pretty dire to me. You barely passed the easiest science class you will ever take from here on out. What happened?

I can see why you'd think that, but honestly, some people just don't have their act together their freshman year. I know I didn't but now I'm making straight A's. It may be the most basic biology class ever, but 2 things make it hard to do well:

1. The fact that you're a freshman and you have 10,000 other things to adjust to and learn about school and life in general
2. The fact that it's such a general course that covers a wide scope of material that you either may find uninteresting or overwhelming. I know I do better in classes where we go in-depth in one specific subject rather than classes that cast a wide net. Everyone has different strengths.

Bottom line though: if you REALLY WANT IT, you can NOT give up on a career in medicine that easy. it's a long and arduous road and everyone's bound to reach a pitfall here or there.

As far as Columbia goes, LOL, yeah, I don't know about that. I'm not picky as to where exactly I go, so long as it's a certified US school; I just want to become a doctor. If you're gonna get picky about big names then I don't know how badly that C is going to hurt you. Don't lose sight of the big picture: the end result is what matters. Not how famous your school was.

I did horribly because I have a problem with test taking. Everything that my professor taught me I understood it 100 percent furthermore I had everything memorized. I dont believe that my chances are shot because of a C- in my first semester I just am worried that I wont enter a well recognized MD school. i dont understand that i need to improve.

Wait, i do not wish to attend Columbia because of its prestige the reason why i want to enter a well recognized school( and there are plenty not just ivies) because of the field in medicine I want to enter.
and..
It is my first C i am pretty sure alot of school have looked past a C in freshman year. Also, I read alot of these posts and I would say that at least 80 percent of these OP have had a C. My situation is not dire, and I am by far not ready to quit at all. I am a FRESHMAN, I asked what can i do to improve not for negative inputs.

AG2 said:
I am very worried that I will not be able to attend a good Medical school how much does this C- effect my chances of getting into a good well recognized medical school...

AG2 said:
It is my first C i am pretty sure alot of school have looked past a C in freshman year. Also, I read alot of these posts and I would say that at least 80 percent of these OP have had a C. My situation is not dire, and I am by far not ready to quit at all.

I love it when people here ask questions then get angry when people don't tell them what they want to hear. Don't ask a question if you already think you know the answer and will argue with people who don't give you the answer you want.

If you get a C- in intro bio you are doing something really wrong. If you fix it, then you will be fine like the other SDN people who got C's and recovered. If not, then you are in deep poo. Bio is more than memorization... this might be where you are going wrong. See if you can meet with your prof and go over your final & studying habits. Good luck kiddo.

Maybe I am dumb too because I got a C+ in Bio I.

Its weird though because I got A's in Bio II, Physics and OChem...

Bio I is definitely not the easiest class and I think it's silly to assume that it would be only because most people take it as freshman. Many universities are actually encouraging people to take their Bios sophomore year instead.

Hey:

I am currently a freshman and have received my Bio I grade, a C-!!!
I am very worried that I will not be able to attend a good Medical school how much does this C- effect my chances of getting into a good well recognized medical school, and what should I do to better my chances?

I would look into it but I think med schools will not accept anything less than a C in prereqs. Figure out what went wrong and take it again.

I love it when people here ask questions then get angry when people don't tell them what they want to hear. Don't ask a question if you already think you know the answer and will argue with people who don't give you the answer you want.

Your assuming I am angry, but I actually am not. Dont tell me what I should do or not I dont think that is an answer to any of my question, so with that in mind dont repost on my thread. Thanks

If you get a C- in intro bio you are doing something really wrong. If you fix it, then you will be fine like the other SDN people who got C's and recovered. If not, then you are in deep poo. Bio is more than memorization... this might be where you are going wrong. See if you can meet with your prof and go over your final & studying habits. Good luck kiddo.

I am a FRESHMANNNNNNN it is obvious that I WILL FIX ITTTTTTTT. Thank you, I will speak with my prof.

^^^^^ LOL, let's simmer down now Chief. There's some obvious attitude in your posts.

You've already gotten plenty of good advice. Figure out what you did wrong, get over it, move on, and strive to excel in your future science courses. If the C- bothers you that much :scared:, re-take the class. Best of luck to you!

I agree with IDoIt4Love, it's a long and arduous road, and you have plenty of time to increase your science GPA! Medical schools prefer to see a trend of increasing GPA rather than vice versa.

Here's my testimony: I started off my freshman year with C's in general chem and calc, and I just finished off this quarter with an A in calc and an A+ in O-chem.

You might find that you simply excel in some classes and not others. Getting a C your freshman year does NOT make you an idiot, it's a time for adjusting and learning from your mistakes. Make wise decisions, and figure out what study methods work best for you, and you'll be fine. :)