Worry about medical license denial

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkfit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made stupid mistake during residency and made a HIPAA violation. (not on bad intention) Because of it, I got a final written warning from the hospital instead of getting terminated or suspended (i know, very lucky). I have no other disciplinary action before, no other warning or probation. In good standing with the residency otherwise with no gap in training. I am currently In the process of applying for state licensure and getting credentialed at my new hospital after residency. (Of note, I ended up taking step 3 twice, but dont know if that's relevant). Few questions came to mind:
  1. I believe the right thing to do is to answer “Yes” to the question asking if there have been any disciplinary action against me during residency. I was wondering if there is any chance of getting denied medical license because of a written warning? Or in the future as I apply to other states licenses?
  2. Will there be issues in credentialing at any of my future hospitals? Or future employers if i decide to go into private group? (I understand they may inquire my PD about this if I bring it up, but i am sure my PD will back me up as we are in good terms). If so, should i be worried?
  3. Should i even bring this up to my future employer even if they don’t ask about it? (since it's a warning rather than a probation etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hmm, was it actually a disciplinary action? I think a warning is a warning and may not be reportable. I would talk to your PD or GME at your hospital. You don't want to lie, but there's no sense popping up red flags if you weren't actually disciplined.

And by the way I commend you for telling us straight up about it and willing to report it without excuses and the rigamarole we sometimes see in these parts.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Thank you for your insight. It was a written warning so there’s a record of it somewhere. I will consult my PD and my GME office and see what they think. Most likely imo i will have to be kosher and report it. But is that ground for denying medical license? Figure the consequence of them finding out I lied or omitted will probably be worse in this case.

Thank you for your insight. It was a written warning so there’s a record of it somewhere. I will consult my PD and my GME office and see what they think. Most likely imo i will have to be kosher and report it. But is that ground for denying medical license? Figure the consequence of them finding out I lied or omitted will probably be worse in this case.

Its unlikely that a single disciplinary action would warrant denial of medical license, but it might delay it requiring more "information", evaluation by a separate body, or some sort of additional documentation from your program.

I agree with Mass Effect, before you do anything, I would touch base with your PD and GME and see if this is actually documented anywhere where licensing is involved. If its an internal thing just within the program, that's one thing, but if it will be sent with your records to the licensing board, then that's another. Just ask them about it and it should clear up things.

Reactions: 2 users
It is not the crime, it is the cover-up.

In another post a couple of weeks ago, I mentioned a man who got a temporary license in Indiana - and had been admitted to medical school - who was convicted of kidnapping (burying a young woman alive) and was paroled off of a life sentence.

No one will care about the incident; they will however care greatly - and it can be the basis for a license denial or losing your job/privileges - if you are required to report it and you do not. If in doubt, mention it.

Reactions: 1 user
Worst case scenario hire a administrative law attorney that does licensing law. They should be able to guide you. I don't think you'd have to report it to employers because it isn't like a criminal case, but I'm not a lawyer either to talk about it with authority

I was on probation in residency and have never been denied a license or privileges.

I have held about 10 licenses and had to do extra work to get my license in TX which is my home state. Went to Austin with a lawyer on that one. The TMB is not a nice organization.

Been on about 25 hospitals no problem. Simple explanation always suffices except for TX.

I was on probation in residency and have never been denied a license or privileges.

I have held about 10 licenses and had to do extra work to get my license in TX which is my home state. Went to Austin with a lawyer on that one. The TMB is not a nice organization.

Been on about 25 hospitals no problem. Simple explanation always suffices except for TX.

Thanks very much for your insight. This is very good to know. Appreciate all the input. I will be upfront about it and if explanation is needed i will do so.

The same TX that's licensing the alien DNA lady? Hard to believe they're so strict. But I've also heard CA's tough with requiring tons of extra info too.

Hello, I'm curious about your experience applying for texas medical license. I received my license in another state no problem. I'm now applying to Texas and im not sure how to go about it. I did not complete my residency training. did 2/3 years. I was let go from my program due to not meeting graduation requirements and I'm not sure how big of a deal that will be with my texas application.

Hello, I'm curious about your experience applying for texas medical license. I received my license in another state no problem. I'm now applying to Texas and im not sure how to go about it. I did not complete my residency training. did 2/3 years. I was let go from my program due to not meeting graduation requirements and I'm not sure how big of a deal that will be with my texas application.
Just apply and be truthful. What's the worst that could happen, they deny, you move on. I would advice about not being honest about any kind of mental health problems. State medical boards can make your life miserable you for a simple case of situational depression.

Just apply and be truthful. What's the worst that could happen, they deny, you move on.
Many states (all states?) ask if you have ever been denied a license in another state, and if so then you have to explain why. Not sure how that factors into the application, but I'd venture to guess it gets unwanted attention.

Many states (all states?) ask if you have ever been denied a license in another state, and if so then you have to explain why. Not sure how that factors into the application, but I'd venture to guess it gets unwanted attention.
Not sure either and this is one of the reasons we need to stop the madness. But I have not been denied and wonder what would happen if you lied? Do they call up all fifty states and ask?

Not sure either and this is one of the reasons we need to stop the madness. But I have not been denied and wonder what would happen if you lied? Do they call up all fifty states and ask?

If you lie and are found out, you are screwed. I wouldn't be surprised if a license denial is NPDB reportable.

Reactions: 1 users
So, what happens if you are NPBD reportable?

Everyone checks that. So your hospitals, licensing bureaus, malpractice carriers, etc. will all get a "hit" on your name when they run it through routinely with any renewals or new applications. It's a big red flag. So now they'll see a black mark on your license AND know you lied on your documents. Which makes things way worse as they'll sanction you for that (which is also generally reportable).