Worst Interview Answers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewer had a deep Australian accent that took me a little bit to get used to;

Interviewer: Korean? (i heard "profession?")
Me: uh... pharmacy tech?...
Interviewer: No, Korean?
Me: okay... outpatient pharmacist?
Interview: No. Are you kor-ree-en?

Interviewer: Age? (i heard "date?")
Me: January 22nd
Interviewer: Is that when you were born?
Me: No...

Oh good times indeed.

i don't think it's neccessary for the interviewer to question your race or age. like a job interview these things are irrelevant to getting a seat in phamacy school.

Members don't see this ad.

That has to be the best answer to that question I've ever heard! I'm so using the hamburger-chicken sangwich analogy if I get asked that question!:D
: ) I also told them I wanted to be an astronaut for the longest time which got dismissed when I discovered my sever motion sickness tendency, lol. That was completely true. They laughed out loud.

One of the worst question's asked is the team-building question.....

Q: What would you do if someone in your group does pull their load in the project? How you you react to it?

A: *birds churpping.....:"

I figured they just want to see how you answer this. I rambled on about letting the person know that the objectives of the project and the grade that comes from it will affect everyone in the group.

What do you guys think? :eek:

i got the question in a group interview too. and the question was directed towards someone else, but this girl said "in this situation, wouldn't it be better to put friends together in one group so that they can motivate each other?" and she has a masters in biochem.

headdesk moment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question: How did you choose the current university you are at now?

Answer: I thought the atmosphere was "academicy" and reminded me of Hogwarts.

That was my truthful answer. Haha.

: ) I also told them I wanted to be an astronaut for the longest time which got dismissed when I discovered my sever motion sickness tendency, lol. That was completely true. They laughed out loud.
During the interview at Maryland, one of the alumni said her classmate wanted to be an astronaut but was too short or something else she couldn't change. So she set up a rotation site with NASA and still works there. I don't remember most of the story but I thought it was neat.

During the interview at Maryland, one of the alumni said her classmate wanted to be an astronaut but was too short or something else she couldn't change. So she set up a rotation site with NASA and still works there. I don't remember most of the story but I thought it was neat.
I remember reading a story about that...

Ouch...

Interviewers: Tell me about a time when you were stressed and you were tempted to do something unethical? (Might have used a slightly different word than unethical but meant the same thing. Might have been dishonorable. I don't remember)
Me:.....um....I always try to act with honorably...Maybe I don't understand the question
Interviewers: Tell me about a time when your friends may have done something that wasn't as honorable as you thought and what did you do about it.
Me...My friends have engaged in underage drinking. There's nothing I could do to really stop them. I told them it was illegal and told them not to drive afterwards.

Epic fail. I was wait listed

That question would kill me, I can't think of a single example.

Interviewer: So I see here that you were charged with DUI but never convicted, could you explain this more since you brought it up on your application?

Applicant: Hey....man....it happens.

REJECTED!

interviewer: So i see here that you were charged with dui but never convicted, could you explain this more since you brought it up on your application?

Rejected!

i bet he said it calmly too? ouch.
: O

Last edited:

Yeah! I remember hearing that at their open house. They said she petitioned to have a rotation at NASA to study how zero-gravity affects the metabolism of medications or something along those lines. NASA realized how important her work was that they hired her after she graduated. Pretty cool.

Interviewer: So I see here that you were charged with DUI but never convicted, could you explain this more since you brought it up on your application?

REJECTED!

"Hey...man" - so unprofessional

"it happens" - what? :laugh:

Wow, that would be incredible. I should attempt that! Thanks for the story.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewer: Do you lie? *stares at me with a little smirk*

Me: "*staring back at the interviewer for like 5 seconds :scared:** What do you mean by lie? (I couldn't think of anything else, I needed more time to think!)

Interviewer: To....not tell the truth? *she couldn't believe she had to define it for me*

Me: *quickly trying to think of a scenario :confused:* A new patient brings in an Rx for 100 vicodins and 100 xanax /w no insurance. Of course I'd lie and say I don't have it :shrug:! [I think that is what I said, I was so nervous I just blurted it out lol ]

Result: Accepted :D

Well this was not my answer but one of the guys interviewing in my group had one of the worst answers I could think of. We were all asked to "Describe how you are professional" or something similar. He then decided to go off about an experience his mother had with a doctor and how he was angry about it. He repeatedly called the doctor dude, like "That dude" "This dude" and then he decided to show his professionalism by dropping the F bomb twice during his rant.

Oh and this was all right after he fell asleep snoring during the dean of pharmacy's welcome presentation. I thought he was planted by the school to see how we would react to him.

I just LOL'd so loud at this. :laugh:

Question: How did you choose the current university you are at now?

Answer: I thought the atmosphere was "academicy" and reminded me of Hogwarts.

That was my truthful answer. Haha.

I love Hogwarts! I was in CT over the summer so I decided to visit Yale and I'm such I nerd all I could talk about was Hogwarts. lol The school really is beautiful though... plus some guy had a baby monkey in the bookstore!

Well this was not my answer but one of the guys interviewing in my group had one of the worst answers I could think of. We were all asked to "Describe how you are professional" or something similar. He then decided to go off about an experience his mother had with a doctor and how he was angry about it. He repeatedly called the doctor dude, like "That dude" "This dude" and then he decided to show his professionalism by dropping the F bomb twice during his rant.

Oh and this was all right after he fell asleep snoring during the dean of pharmacy's welcome presentation. I thought he was planted by the school to see how we would react to him.

50small.gif

:idea:I had this question thrown at me in an interview. So the professor argues with me. First it is 'why not med school' and then even worse, 'why not nursing?' Are you joking? Let's see, rotten pay, bad hours, no challenge, what am I supposed to say that to him? I just spent years of my life in prep work and expensive plane tickets to say nursing is attractive? It was insulting. I felt like I was grilled from the onset. I was the last interview of the day and I don't think he listened to a word I said.

Interviewer: How are you time management skills?

Me: Excellent! In my last years of college I really mastered how to manage time with my studies.

Interviewer: What is your worst quality?

Me: ... UM... My time management skills

Interviewer: What is your favorite fiction book and why?

Me: Well, I rarely read books and fiction books even more rarely.

Interviewer: But you do read. Don't you?

Me: Yes, but most of my "pleasure" reading is just about current events and various topics that I find interesting. This often leads to further research on these topics to better understand them--often through various internet searches.

I was accepted. Although I didn't have a typical answer, I was able to carry on a conversation about the topic for several minutes.

Maybe they are Les Stroud fans?

Haha! Bear was asked the same exact question in an interview ... see video below...
LMAO!!! Les Stroud finds an excuse to get naked in EVERY SINGLE episode :laugh:

Interviewer: Tell us something unique about yourself so we can remember you when we review your application.

Me: Uhh.. My fingerprints. :confused:

Hi,
im sorry to be taking up your time and i realize its been a long time but would you happen to remember any of the questions from Regis Pharmacy? or any tips

i would greatly appreciate it

this is from an interview for an anesthesia assistant program at Emory

Interviewer: Have you ever noticed that when someone breaths in a ballon full of helium their vocie sounds funny when they talk?

Dumb Blonde next to me: Yeah

Interviewer: Why do you think that is?

Dumb Blonde: Ummm. 20 sec pause. Its bc helium has neurological effects on your brain

Interviewer: So your saying that the reason your voice sounds funny when talking with lungs full of helium is bc helium has neurological effects on your brain.

Dumb Blonde: Yes.

Interviewer: Ok then

Next question

Interviewer: Why would you be a good anesthesiologists assistant?

Dumb blonde: Well my dad is an anesthesiologist and Ive grown up around it my whole life.

This was the most awful interview I have ever had (have had about 6 at med schools and AA programs). They kept asking this girl questions and then looking at each other smiling while she gave stupid answers. I finally couldn’t stop myself from laughing after the helium question. So then they started asking me other science questions which I gave really good answers to (they even said "that’s a really good answer") then got into a semi argument about health care reform with one of the interviewers. The only female interviewer asked for my opinion about healthcare reform and then told me I was wrong. I said it’s an opinion: an opinion inherently cannot be right or wrong bc it is an opinion, there is not right or wrong answer. If I said I knew how to fix health care I could have a right or wrong answer. She apparently did not like learning. Needless to say I didn’t get in there. Didn’t really want to after the way the interview panel acted.

interviewer: So why PharmD and not PhD?
me: Well, I really want to go into the pharmacy aspect about drug design, drug interaction, and drug therapy. PhD is much more research-based and it wouldn't give me the same knowledge or opportunity to work with patients. I would just be at the lab bench all day.

(Basically I slammed down the role of a PhD when I meant to remain neutral and respectful while glorifying the role of a PharmD. But it came out all wrong and the interviewer was a PhD doing pharmaceutical biochemistry research. Doh!)

interviewer: So why PharmD and not PhD?
me: Well, I really want to go into the pharmacy aspect about drug design, drug interaction, and drug therapy. PhD is much more research-based and it wouldn't give me the same knowledge or opportunity to work with patients. I would just be at the lab bench all day.

(Basically I slammed down the role of a PhD when I meant to remain neutral and respectful while glorifying the role of a PharmD. But it came out all wrong and the interviewer was a PhD doing pharmaceutical biochemistry research. Doh!)

Ouch!!! Did you get in, though?

this is from an interview for an anesthesia assistant program at Emory

Interviewer: Have you ever noticed that when someone breaths in a ballon full of helium their vocie sounds funny when they talk?

Dumb Blonde next to me: Yeah

Interviewer: Why do you think that is?

Dumb Blonde: Ummm. 20 sec pause. Its bc helium has neurological effects on your brain

Interviewer: So your saying that the reason your voice sounds funny when talking with lungs full of helium is bc helium has neurological effects on your brain.

Dumb Blonde: Yes.

Interviewer: Ok then

Next question

Interviewer: Why would you be a good anesthesiologists assistant?

Dumb blonde: Well my dad is an anesthesiologist and Ive grown up around it my whole life.

This was the most awful interview I have ever had (have had about 6 at med schools and AA programs). They kept asking this girl questions and then looking at each other smiling while she gave stupid answers. I finally couldn’t stop myself from laughing after the helium question. So then they started asking me other science questions which I gave really good answers to (they even said "that’s a really good answer") then got into a semi argument about health care reform with one of the interviewers. The only female interviewer asked for my opinion about healthcare reform and then told me I was wrong. I said it’s an opinion: an opinion inherently cannot be right or wrong bc it is an opinion, there is not right or wrong answer. If I said I knew how to fix health care I could have a right or wrong answer. She apparently did not like learning. Needless to say I didn’t get in there. Didn’t really want to after the way the interview panel acted.

Sounds like the dumb blond bested you in the end smartguy lol!

Before going into the interview I was basically told the philosophy of "if they dont ask, dont tell". This translates into dont confess things that shouldnt or dont need to be confessed.

My very last question of the interview (everything had gone great so far) was, as one of the interviewees placed their hand on my application packet, "Is there anything in here you would like to clarify?" He asked this question with somewhat expecting eyes.

I was thinking...he knows...

Not to funny just an awkward situation . . .

Interviewer: What are your hobbies?

Me: Actually I know its unusual for someone like me (since I'm a girl) but I'm a huge automotive enthusiast. I love working on cars and modifying them to increase speed and performance.. . etc

Interview: wow you're also hands on?! Very cool. What was your most crowning achievement?

Me: Well at this time I feel like earning my BS because I'm the first in my fam to go to college and I worked almost a full time job in the process as well and graduated on time too! I know some people don't normally see a BS as a big deal but it means a lot to me to.

Interviewer: I see. So why did you say its unorthodox?

Me: blank stare ( I had no idea to what he was refering to? The fact people aren't excited about a BS or what?) I'm sorry?

Interviewer: you said its unorthodox for someone like you. . . . . . .(more blank stare from me). . . . .to work on cars.

Me: OoOOOOooOhhh well because I'm female and its a male domniated hobbie! you don't see many women at the meets and fundraising events!

If you ask me it was a delayed thought on the interviewer but still I felt like an idiot cuz I thought he meant about the BS degree.. . . ugh its ok though I got accepted lol

Interviewer had a deep Australian accent that took me a little bit to get used to;

Interviewer: Korean? (i heard "profession?")
Me: uh... pharmacy tech?...
Interviewer: No, Korean?
Me: okay... outpatient pharmacist?
Interview: No. Are you kor-ree-en?

Interviewer: Age? (i heard "date?")
Me: January 22nd
Interviewer: Is that when you were born?
Me: No...

Oh good times indeed.

:laugh: LMAO!!! Man that really sucks..

Interviewer: define intellectual curiosity

Me:

(WT? geeze what? what do I do ?! What do I do?! I know these words separately but not together!! shoot....ok....this is getting awkward....ok....say something.SAY SOMETHING!! say ANYTHING!!!)

ok.......ummm....curiosity makes people intelligent.

Interviewer: would you like to elaborate on that?

Me: being curious is good, it makes people smart. I mean for example, I am very curious. People often say "curiosity killed the cat,"
I am DEFINITELY that cat.

Interviewer: :oops:silent.

Me:

(WT? geeze what? what do I do ?! What do I do?! I know these words separately but not together!! shoot....ok....this is getting awkward....ok....say something.SAY SOMETHING!! say ANYTHING!!!)

Me: being curious is good, it makes people smart. I mean for example, I am very curious. People often say "curiosity killed the cat,"

I am sorry, but that is definitely one of the worst responses to that question I could have dreamed off. Good luck with that!

Me:

Ouch, but hilarious. It takes courage to share; thanks for sharing.

hahaha...I don't think I could have responded any better. Hilarious though.:laugh:

Me:

This was actually for a job interview I had.

Them: So what are your favorite sports?
Me: Well, I played soccer all thru HS and enjoy watching it on TV when I can find it.
...several questions later...
Them: What sport plays the World Cup?
Me: Uhh....Baseball?
Them: *blank stare, slight laughter* What did you say your favorite sport was again?
Me: Ah crap...the World Cup is soccer isn't it?

I did end up getting the job though.

This was actually for a job interview I had.

Them: So what are your favorite sports?
Me: Well, I played soccer all thru HS and enjoy watching it on TV when I can find it.
...several questions later...
Them: What sport plays the World Cup?
Me: Uhh....Baseball?
Them: *blank stare, slight laughter* What did you say your favorite sport was again?
Me: Ah crap...the World Cup is soccer isn't it?

I did end up getting the job though.

Kinda the same thing happened to me on one of my job interviews. They asked me a question and I answered in Russian lol....I lucked out though and the guy that interviewed me understood Russian...I did end up getting the job as well lol

earlier i was talking about my drug-related research experience in undergradaute
interviewer: why PharmD not PhD
me: i don't really like research, i did it because it was required to graduate,
interview: so if it's not required, you would not do it at all.
me: no. (geez, what did i just say...)

interviewer:why not MD?
me: bla bla bla bla i want pharmd
interviewer: why not dentistry?
interviewer: why not nursing?
interviewer: why not other health care profession?

interviewer brought out a card with a medical term on it :"do you know what does this word means?"
me with a smile: .....................I don't know. (at least i was honest)

i got accepted but i did not go. i was not a big fan of this interviewer.

job interview:
interviewer: how do you deal with difficult people?
me (i hate this question): ...mm...just deal with it.

and some other answers, which are too embarrassing to be posted.