worst jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Corona

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just want to hear about some of the worst jobs some of you had,or have i can go first- nursing assistant

Members don't see this ad.

Cutco / Vector Sales Representative - First ever job (Summer job). I sold knives. After reflecting on the experience, I feel that they conned me.

Telemarketer (for about 3 weeks). But wait, it gets worse: we sold living trusts to the elderly.

I am still trying to redeem my soul..

Members don't see this ad :)
Cutco / Vector Sales Representative - First ever job (Summer job). I sold knives. After reflecting on the experience, I feel that they conned me.

That's funny. I worked for Cutco too years ago.:laugh:

I second telemarketer. I only last two weeks and was selling cell phones and phone plans for T-mobile. They wanted me to commit social security fraud by using a SS# different from the person buying the plan. We were supposed to ask if they could get their hands on anyone's SS# (spouse's, childrens', parents... ugh) if they were declined... it was messed up and I couldn't bring myself to destroy someone else's credit. Got the heck out of there real fast.

I was a waitress/bartender/banquet server/shuttle van driver for a crappy "hotel." I had to quit because one of the alcoholic cooks got drunk on the job and threatened me with a knife because I wouldn't give him my magazine I was reading. He was infatuated with Alyssa Milano and there was an article about her in it...I told him I didn't want it getting all sticky and he went freakin' nuts!

When the management didn't fire him and wouldn't quit scheduling me to work with him I decided it didn't want to work there anymore.

I've had many other not-so-great jobs:

4 different telemarketing jobs (I'm pretty good at this)
Sold womens clothing at a specialty retailer
Sold womens clothing at a major department store
Math tutor for "sweathogs"
Engineering secretary
Writer/guest columnist
Personal care assistant
Sitter for adults with dementia

Ugh.

I worked at subway at the bottom of the totum pole when I was a sophmore in college. 2 of the 4 shift superviors were still in high school (juniors and seniors) and loved every drip of power they had

packer/ machine operator at a plastics factory..making gillete shaver parts. Can you say torture? imagine lifting 10 pound boxes repeatedly every like 5 minutes for 12 hours, nights...

things people will do when they dont have much of a choice!

All4mydaughter...guess your resume resembles a booklet :)

Busboy at Shoney's for 1 month. Usually stuck in the back by myself. Learned to wash dishes from my anal retentive dad, so it would take for ever to get the dishes "clean", instead of just run through the dishwashing machine. Feel sorry for the people who ate there after I left. It's closed now.

Also, waiter, 9 months (I wasn't any good at it)
Fuel desk clerk, graveyard shift.
Temporary labor including construction, retail shelf assembly, returning processed checks, sales, electric meter assembly, envelope stuffing. (And I asked for an office job:mad: )
Call center rep for local utility (prepared me to deal with stupid people all day)

Fuel desk clerk, graveyard shift.
Temporary labor including construction, retail shelf assembly, returning processed checks, sales, electric meter assembly, envelope stuffing. (And I asked for an office job:mad: )

Ditto Farmercyst - envelope stuffing

--

Printing Company - A general temp job for a summer...

A family business, so those without the right surname, myself included, were paid significantly less. Ever sit back and wonder while smiling at your envelope of nascar tickets "Do they have someone licking every one of these evelopes shut?"

Yep! That was me, but no licking - thank you to whomever thought up the "peel and stick." Count, peel, and stick. Light factory work, but it paid great, even at the non-family rate.

i worked as as a chemical engineering intern on an agglomerator for three years during college.

i hit a giant metal tube with a rubber mallet for hours on end to keep product from sticking to the sides.

fun times.

Veterinary Nurse. Worst job ever. In the words of Rodney Dangerfield, "no respect", that experience was one of the reasons why I switched from pre-vet to pre-pharm....

food service worker at a dining commons...serving food to my ungrateful peers and washing their dishes :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
Telemarketing: I asked for donations for police officers to get more equipment (bullet proof vests, speed detectors-- yea right...)

I also made and sold lemonade during football games...dirty job ::(

Detasseling corn. The leaves have a paper like texture so they leave paper cuts on any exposed skin. Usually your hands are raw and bleed when you first start and when it rains you are up to your shins in mud. Not fun. I also worked in a foundry once and when they pour the steel the whole place fills up with black smoke. No natural light because the windows are black out with soot and don't open so you can't get any fresh air. Good motivation to stay in school.

Rite Aid technician. They treat you like crap. Pharmacists are so rude and cruel. You can't seem to do anything right. They hate to answer your questions, response to you calling them for consultation, and hate it if you help them too much. One word for rite aid, they treat you like trash! I don't know how it is like to work there as a pharmacist. Any comment?

my absolute worst job ever is the one i have now until i start pharmacy school in august...a microbio lab technician. you might think that this doesn't sound so bad, but trust me it is. we swab vaginal and rectal samples from patients and monkeys and analyze their bacterial growth. i never have breakfast before going to work in the morning. need i say more? i just keep telling myself just a few more months till i am outta there!

my absolute worst job ever is the one i have now until i start pharmacy school in august...a microbio lab technician. you might think that this doesn't sound so bad, but trust me it is. we swab vaginal and rectal samples from patients and monkeys and analyze their bacterial growth. i never have breakfast before going to work in the morning. need i say more? i just keep telling myself just a few more months till i am outta there!

hahhahahahha OMG...that is soooooo gross!!! My job is not as bad, but I keep telling myself that I only need to do this for a few more months. I cannot wait.

I have done that in human and i still have respect for the job.

how much money did you sell? I worked for them for about 4 months and met my bf there. I lost the job but kept my bf :) :D
I wouldn't say that's my worst job but i did hate it. sometimes the men would want to introduce me to their lonely sons......other times I would try to save myself time and gas by going door to door after my appointment and would run into people I know.....it was embarrassing!

:laugh: :laugh:

this thread is funny....here are mine....

1) cashier/"housekeeper" at a small produce market when I was in high school---i say "housekeeper" cuz we had to wheel all the veggies and fruits that perished quickly into HUGE freezers at the end of each night and then sweep and mop the floors, clean the refrigerators at the back of the store and clean the windows at the front EVERY NITE!!! oh yeah, and set out poison for the mice---don't worry, the health dept closed them down lol

2) secretary/announcement girl at IKEA---yea, I was the one that makes each and every announcement you hear when you're at IKEA----i was there about 2 weeks--it was torture---not to mention the uniform was probably the stiffest polyester you could find.

3) quality assurance analyst---this title was a joke----I had to call "clients" who basically were managers of gas station quick marts, to perform surveys on how our technicians' service was when they installed the new atm machine....lolol....what a joke!

boo to you :) I have worked in microbiology for over 3 years. It is actually a very good field to have experience in. My personal experience has been to communicate with doctors that know very little to nothing about the subject, especially the antibiotics.

oh and btw I know it is bad but I eat and drink in the lab sometimes. Unless it is producing spores, the stuff isn't going to fly up at you :) Besides isn't it a rush to walk into the lab in the morning and get that nice rush of bacterial smell hit you in the face. you get used to it with time. visitors don't which makes it even more funny :)

oh and be thankful all you have to do are cultures from the perianal region. I have had to cut up whole eyeballs, bone, large pieces of tissue, work with TB etc :)

My worst (and best) job thus far = United States Marine...

scrubbed floors with a toothbrush = DONE IT!!!
Cleaned urinals w/o a brush = DONE IT!!!
Exercised for unknown amount of time in 100+ temps = DONE IT!!!
traipse through jungles infested w/ gonnaherpacephalitise = DONE IT!!!
24 hour duty - w/ a 10 hr workday on the end = DONE IT (every other week)

The worst part about being in the Marine Corps was being stuck. When you have a ****ty day at work - you at least get to go home. In the military - your stuck in country (or ship) for however long. If it is day 2 of a 60 day deployment - and life sucks - dont let it bother you - b/c its gonna get worse - and its gonna last at least for another 58 days...

Not to rain on anyone's self pity - but it could always be worse - you could be enlisted...

~above~

There goes my breakfast

You'd be surprised how quickly one can adapt from being grossed out about it to either not caring or having a curiousity. At least this end is a lot less stressful than the person that has to go in and collect the samples. If you only saw the pictures my boss has shown me from his travels to third world countries! Talk about a great way to lose weight and not eat.

I worked as an assistant in a Microbiology lab...I spent my days cleaning out the autoclave machine -- yuck.

how much money did you sell? I worked for them for about 4 months and met my bf there. I lost the job but kept my bf :) :D
I wouldn't say that's my worst job but i did hate it. sometimes the men would want to introduce me to their lonely sons......other times I would try to save myself time and gas by going door to door after my appointment and would run into people I know.....it was embarrassing!

Lets just say I was in the top 5 in sales for that whole summer. I sold over $10,000 in knives. I worked pretty much full time and the pay I earned was about $1000-$1500 for those 3months. (My friends were making $1000-$1500 in one month making $8-$10/hr at other jobs). I knew a few people that actually left the job with a negative balance at Vector. Yes, they owed money to Vector for their hard work.

I just have to chime in and say I HATE waitressing, I used to waitress at Applebee's and it was just.. :thumbdown: