Worst/ Most Boring Specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MN81 said:
You pissed a lot of people off with that one, but I agree... Especially about Derm and Uro.

Is time and money all that being a doc is about?

Apparently

I don't know what stage of the game you're in, but if you're still rather new you may want to retract that comment in a few years. Let's wait until you have 160,000+ in debt and 3 kids who you would like to see grow up and then let's talk about time and money. BTW, I was totally idealistic in my first year or two also, wanting to work in the free clinic and help all the people with no money, but just wait, you may change your tune when you really start comparing specialties.

Members don't see this ad.

MN81 said:
Some people have mentioned that they like the OB, but not the GYN. I guess I can see that.

Question: Is it possible to do a residency in only OB and not GYN?

Heh, I was just the opposite. I hated OB, but really liked gyn.

Anyway, AFAIK no, all of the residencies involve both. But after that you can choose to practice predominantly one or the other, or so I was told.

kam730 said:
I don't know what stage of the game you're in, but if you're still rather new you may want to retract that comment in a few years. Let's wait until you have 160,000+ in debt and 3 kids who you would like to see grow up and then let's talk about time and money. BTW, I was totally idealistic in my first year or two also, wanting to work in the free clinic and help all the people with no money, but just wait, you may change your tune when you really start comparing specialties.

haha...I just had a lecture on this the other day

the bitterest person in medicine is the 3rd/4th year medical student

i guess after being dumped on for those two years, everyone gets a bit cynical and starts looking for the easy/profitable way out!

Members don't see this ad :)

I appreciate what you're talking about. I was once a staff writer for a newspaper until I quit because of the unlivable wages. But without at least some idealism, why go into medicine in the first place? If all someone cares about is income, it seems like most people would be better off going the MBA route. I just don't see derm as real medicine, despite how great the pay and hours are.

ForbiddenComma said:
I appreciate what you're talking about. I was once a staff writer for a newspaper until I quit because of the unlivable wages. But without at least some idealism, why go into medicine in the first place? If all someone cares about is income, it seems like most people would be better off going the MBA route. I just don't see derm as real medicine, despite how great the pay and hours are.

I think people with skin cancer would disagree with that.

darrvao777 said:
haha...I just had a lecture on this the other day

the bitterest person in medicine is the 3rd/4th year medical student

i guess after being dumped on for those two years, everyone gets a bit cynical and starts looking for the easy/profitable way out!

You won't get less cynical once you start residency.

Quit counting other people's chips. If you still want to work for nothing in four or five years just do it and stop bragging about your moral superiority.

You can help people and still make a good living.

kam730 said:

I am content with my idealism at this point.

MN81 said:
I am content with my idealism at this point.

Your not idealistic, just misinformed and naive. In fact, you are only so nonchalant about money because you have probably never really had any and 80K seems like an impossibly high salary to you.

Yeah yeah. "I hope I never grow up then." blah blah blah and the usual platitudes about the purity of youthful pseudo-idealism.

Callogician said:
Surgery: I'm already losing IQ points by the second in medical school. By the end of surgery residency, I would be an illiterate arrogant drone with eighteen inch biceps and stupid hot blondes trying to get their gold-digging hooks into me.
I'm going into surgery expressly for this. Slamming dumb blondes is my middle name. :cool:

Panda Bear said:
Your not idealistic, just misinformed and naive. In fact, you are only so nonchalant about money because you have probably never really had any and 80K seems like an impossibly high salary to you.

Yeah yeah. "I hope I never grow up then." blah blah blah and the usual platitudes about the purity of youthful pseudo-idealism.

You might be right, but there's no need to go out of your way to be unpleasant.

Panda Bear said:

I can't wait to go through 4 years of med school and come out as happy as you! :thumbup:

quideam said:
I'll start: I think that the worst specialty is probably geriatrics... sooo slow and boring...

Agree! :thumbup:

Someone should turn this thread into a poll...

Members don't see this ad :)
MN81 said:
I can't wait to go through 4 years of med school and come out as happy as you! :thumbup:

Dude. I just matched into Emergency Medicine from a family practice intern year. Your sarcasm aside, "happy" would be an understatement here at the Panda Bear household.

And yes, the increased salary potential (at least double of what I could make in FP) has a little to do with it. I also love Emergency Medicince and dislike FP so you can see that it is possible to do something you like and make good money at it.

Panda Bear said:
Dude. I just matched into Emergency Medicine from a family practice intern year. Your sarcasm aside, "happy" would be an understatement here at the Panda Bear household.

Just wanted to say congrats Panda. From reading your blog the last few weeks I feel like I've been e-stalking you, so I figure the least I can do is congratulate you on movin' on up!

By the way, I remember when I started first year (only 7 months ago!) with wide-eyed innocence and unbridled enthusiasm for going into family care to work with underserved populations. I had even applied for the National Health Corps Scholarship. Then I got through my first two blocks of tests and realized that I would be working 70-80 hrs/week for the next 7-10 years...made making a little more money and getting a little more recognition for my work a much greater priority. I learned that diagnosing colds and telling people to change lifestyle habits that they would never change was my idea of professional hell.

But, hey, to each their own. We definitely need people to work with patient populations that others find intolerable and in conditions that others find undesireable. Just don't complain about the derms, uros, opthos, etc. that are looking out for #1.

Panda Bear said:

And yes, the increased salary potential (at least double of what I could make in FP) has a little to do with it. I also love Emergency Medicince and dislike FP so you can see that it is possible to do something you like and make good money at it.

I am happy for you, seriously.

The point I was trying to make is not that you (or anybody else who wants to 'take care of #1') are greedy. Rather, I was expressing my disappointment in the fact that the most competitive residencies are often that way because of lifestyle choices, and not because they require the most skilled and motivated physicians.

Sorry to come off sounding like an A-hole. No offense.

MN81 said:
I am happy for you, seriously.

The point I was trying to make is not that you (or anybody else who wants to 'take care of #1') are greedy. Rather, I was expressing my disappointment in the fact that the most competitive residencies are often that way because of lifestyle choices, and not because they require the most skilled and motivated physicians.

Sorry to come off sounding like an A-hole. No offense.

I also apologize for being a tool. Maybe I'm getting old and this is just my way of saying, "You damn kids turn that music down."

DoctorFunk said:
Just wanted to say congrats Panda. From reading your blog the last few weeks I feel like I've been e-stalking you, so I figure the least I can do is congratulate you on movin' on up!

By the way, I remember when I started first year (only 7 months ago!) with wide-eyed innocence and unbridled enthusiasm for going into family care to work with underserved populations. I had even applied for the National Health Corps Scholarship. Then I got through my first two blocks of tests and realized that I would be working 70-80 hrs/week for the next 7-10 years...made making a little more money and getting a little more recognition for my work a much greater priority. I learned that diagnosing colds and telling people to change lifestyle habits that they would never change was my idea of professional hell.

But, hey, to each their own. We definitely need people to work with patient populations that others find intolerable and in conditions that others find undesireable. Just don't complain about the derms, uros, opthos, etc. that are looking out for #1.

The problem with community medcine and all of the focus of working with the underserved is that the primary care these people need is so basic that a mid-level providor such as an NP or PA is more than adequate and more cost-effective than a fully residency trained primary care physician.

Who of us really goes to medical school with the expectation that we will be handing out condoms in the high schools or lurking at church health fairs to badger people about their weight? The problem, as you have realized early, is that community medicine involves a significant amount of social work which most of us did not sign up to do.

DoctorFunk said:
...telling people to change lifestyle habits that they would never change was my idea of professional hell.

That's exactly it. I find the premise that a good talking to by a doctor can overcome cultural and personal inertia to be deeply flawed. You can throw all kinds of psycho-babble at people but unless they are self-motivated you might as well save your breath.

All of the studies they showed us here at Duke show this even though they like to put a happy happy face on them.

Panda Bear said:
That's exactly it. I find the premise that a good talking to by a doctor can overcome cultural and personal inertia to be deeply flawed. You can throw all kinds of psycho-babble at people but unless they are self-motivated you might as well save your breath.

All of the studies they showed us here at Duke show this even though they like to put a happy happy face on them.

Glad to see that there are studies addressing this issue. Speaking anecdotally, I have a hard enough time "complying" with medical advice, e.g. exercising an adequate amount, eating hordes of vegetables, even finishing up my Hep B vaccine series on time. Why should we expect that the general U.S public has any greater propensity to understand the ramifications of their actions on their health. Like most of us, they are most strongly driven by pleasure seeking, not by nebulous concepts of future consequences.

We should probably just realize this going in to the patient/physician "relationship" and focus on making information available to the patient without passing value judgments or attempting coercion. Drop the patriarchy and let the fat slobs dying to "enhance" their lives through Type II diabetes and CHF go ahead and see how that treats them.

Geriatric Gynecology

OSUdoc08 said:
Geriatric Gynecology

Or even better....pediatric Gynecology....yum :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BaylorGuy said:
Or even better....pediatric Gynecology....yum :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A choice between examining a 17 year old or a 97 year old?

Oh come on now.

DoctorFunk said:
Why should we expect that the general U.S public has any greater propensity to understand the ramifications of their actions on their health.

We need TV and movies to address these issues. The American public will listen to celebrities, but it won't listen to us.

deuist said:
We need TV and movies to address these issues. The American public will listen to celebrities, but it won't listen to us.

I nominate Barry Bonds, The King of Queens, and Michael Moore.

We will start a health-centered lifestyle REVOLUTION! :scared:

after being in the ER for several hours, i'll say EM is pretty boring. you have sh*tty shifts, wacko patients, adult crybabies, and you walk around bed to bed taking patient histories and inputting them into the database. ooo fun........

What one considers boring/exciting varies from person to person. Frankly, I think psychiatry is very boring and I would rather kill myself than work as a psychiatrist, I cannot just sit there and have patients talking to me for the whole day and listening to their "crazy" stories. But I think ER is not boring but exciting (or at least it can be) because u never know what kind of patients you will see and what kind of cases you will have. Some people don't like ER, like the person with the previous post, I like it and might apply for ER residency in a few years. I think the most boring specialty is by far geriatrics, all you have is very old patients with multiple illnesses and multiple medications and multiple problems and basically you will be making their life easier and just prolonging their life of many illnesses. I personally don't like OB/GYN. I like Surgery and I know many people that cannot stand it. It's all up to the personality of the doctor/student.

dmitri

darrvao777 said:
I think people with skin cancer would disagree with that.

At my institution anyway, patients with invasive skin cancer (or skin cancers with significant potential for metastasis... in any event, the kind that might kill you) are co-managed by oncology and general surgery, with little or no derm input.

MN81 said:
I nominate Barry Bonds, The King of Queens, and Michael Moore.

We will start a health-centered lifestyle REVOLUTION! :scared:

Man, I hate those "fatass with beautiful wife" shows! Take the king of queens out! At least Barry's ripped (however artifically so!).

drmota said:
PATHOLOGY. i don't need to be a med student to know that would be the most boring **** ever
-mota

And one of the most intellectually challenging specialties.

But now, my list:

Peds--Psycho Parents...the kids part would probably be fun
Ob-gyn- Yea, I don't think so :eek: Gross.
EM- You never know what's gonna walk in. I need a more rigid schedule than that
FP- :sleep: and you dont get paid well :sleep:
IM- same as FP
Ortho = Carpentry :smuggrin: (oops, am I gonna get in trouble for this?)
Neurosurg- Amazing work, not worth it for the lifestyle
Plastics- Yea, your pt population is 80% white women who need some sort of cosmetic procedure (it's like being a hairdresser who went to med school).
All bets are off if it's reconstructive, especially hand ( I find it fascinating).

There's probabbly more...Just can't remember.

My favorites
Radition Oncology
Path
ENT (cool surg and medical mix) especially as it relates to facial tumors
Rads. Not sure about this one.

But it all might change once I actually START med school :laugh: :laugh:

The most boring/worst specialty:

#1 PSYCHIATRY - the majority of cases deal with depression and anxiety. I'm depressed enough as it is!!

#2 PATHOLOGY - I've had enough of histo lab as an MSI, much less 30 more years of it

#3 RADIOLOGY - very isolated, interesting at times, but too isolated..

#4 UROLOGY - There's some nasty **** down there!!

#5 DERM - See above.

My best list:

#1 GENERAL SURG - lots of organ systems/cases (specialize in CT, vascular, colorectal, trauma, etc), tons of pathophysiology to consider, moderate pt contact, no real lovey-dovey type crap like they preach in peds, family med, and psych. great pay but tough lifestyle. My #1 choice overall.

#2 ORTHO - Lots of real cool fracture repairs and OR time, chance to help patients in a big time way, great pay, great lifestyle. But it's below Gen. Surg. because of the lack of major physiological considerations (i.e. most of the work strictly revolves around repairing mechanical function)

#3 PULMONARY - I just enjoy the physiology of gas exchange, call me crazy.

#4 CARDIOLOGY - same as above, but for fluid flow, call me crazy.

#5 GI - Contrary to what everyone says here, the imaging (oral/rectal endoscopy) is not so unpleasant. It will likely be about 50% of your patient contact. The other 50%, the case dynamics and GI phys, are very intriguing and the specialty is lucrative (good pay, lifestyle).

family practice-i didn't bust my balls for umpteen years to treat a ****** cold.

pathology/radiology-if i wanted to sit in a lab or an office all day, i would've gotten a phd

geriatrics-old people smell

ob/gyn-disgusting!, although delivering babies would be very rewarding.

proctology/urology-hell no.

dermatology-boooooooooooooooooooooooooooring.

stuff that i would love to do-

im subspecialty-cards, hem/onc, gastro would be sooooooooo cool.

surgery-general/vascular, oncological, not peds-don't have the heart to cut up a kid, although it would be very rewarding to make a child feel better after surgery hmmmmm.

radiation oncology-can't help but pay attention to the hours/salary/no call. plus i love physics.

neurosurgery was a type, CTS, it was supposed to be up there with the "no-go's"

NunoBR said:
EM- You never know what's gonna walk in. I need a more rigid schedule than that

You never what's going to walk in the door with any specialty. At least with EM, your schedule is rigid! If you do almost any other schedule, you'll have to worry about being on call. (Yes, EM docs are technically on call, too. But the world would have to be on fire for an EM physician to be called in).

Since other people have started adding their wish list, I'll post mine here, too:

1. EM by far! Much further down the list we have...
2. Rads --- Applied anatomy, use of physics, cool tools, possible intervention fellowship in the future.
3. Anesthesiology --- Applied chemistry, auto pilot in the OR.
4. IM/Psych combo. I wouldn't mind going into therapy, but I would want the medical training to compliment my psych work.
5. Any surgical field

forensic pathology - chopping up the nameless dead and decomp cases. hell on earth

family practice/peds - another hep B shot for school? no way

gen surgery - not worth the years of holding retractors for pr*ck attendings

IM - eletrolytes and whining patients. out

Derm - probably couldn't match so i'll just say its out

EM - fun, but would i have the energy when i'm 50?

anesthesiology . . . now we're talking

ShyRem said:
Unfortunately, in my 10+ years as a paramedic I ran a whole string of really (really) sick kids - towards the end they started dying on me. It sucked. Quiet kids are sick kids, and after a few really sick ones the best sound in the world is a crying kid.

I'm with you on this. No kids dying on me (knock on wood) but when you have a kid that's (the L word) lethargic and really sick walk into your clinic (why didn't they go to the ER?????), you miss the sound of screams.
For the rest of them, I've found it's all about the parents. I'd love peds except the parents. When they say, "oh he won't let you do that", I wanna scream... "you just told him he didn't have to, so why would he??????" but that's ok. It's all ok. And seriously you don't have to let your kid sit there for an entire day (until 2 minutes before we close) without tylenol or motrin and a 103.4 temp because you wanted to prove to us he had a fever. We will most likely believe you. Also if your children are both having an asthma attack and have been for 24 hours and can't hold their heads up, sonic drinks won't fix them... don't stop off at sonic... don't take them to a clinic in a strip mall.... GO TO THE ER!! Ok my rant is over.

I have no idea what I want to do. I'm waiting for my rotations to make any judgements.

But I don't wanna do FP bc I think that DNP's will be taking over that in the future. Plus as someone mentioned it seems like a big fight with the HMO's more than anything. I see this in our clinic when half of the meds the docs wanna give aren't covered. We mainly have FP's and EM's that were sick of it and came into the clinic setting. So I guess I see how one can get burned out.

You know what I'd love to be able to do? Treat a person entirely unless they were in critical need of a specialist. I guess I can just keep dreaming.

Panda Bear said:

I don't normally bite to these types of comments... but this time...
I've never had any money. My Dad worked in the media and is a preacher. I guess you could say I'm a bit idealistic. However, I would like to make enough to pay back my loans and afford a kid or something. I'd be highly disappointed if I went to school this long(working full time all the way up to med school by the way) and had this much debt just to get a crummy paying job. But hey, it wouldn't be the end of the world. At least I'd have a cool career. (Sure beats being a secretary or phlebotomist)
I think not having money makes you realize that you don't need it. So yeah, being nonchalant about money may in fact be a consequence to growing up poor. And yeah, 80K is a lot of money to most people.
Since the majority of the people in this world would kill for that salary maybe it is you who is misinformed and naive.
I believe that the more money you have, the greater responsibility you have to use those resources for good. You can't take it with you, buddy.

Contrary to popular belief, onc/heme is not a good lifestyle. I've had several oncologists tell me to find another specialty because that's what I wanted to do. Only do it if you love working with cancer patients.

ambernikel said:
I don't normally bite to these types of comments... but this time...
I've never had any money. My Dad worked in the media and is a preacher. I guess you could say I'm a bit idealistic. However, I would like to make enough to pay back my loans and afford a kid or something. I'd be highly disappointed if I went to school this long(working full time all the way up to med school by the way) and had this much debt just to get a crummy paying job. But hey, it wouldn't be the end of the world. At least I'd have a cool career. (Sure beats being a secretary or phlebotomist)
I think not having money makes you realize that you don't need it. So yeah, being nonchalant about money may in fact be a consequence to growing up poor. And yeah, 80K is a lot of money to most people.
Since the majority of the people in this world would kill for that salary maybe it is you who is misinformed and naive.
I believe that the more money you have, the greater responsibility you have to use those resources for good. You can't take it with you, buddy.

That's true and I share many of the same feelings now. But most of the 3rd or 4th years I've spoken to seem to think that they are entitled to a much higher salary because of the time and sacrifice they've dedicated to medicine.

No way of telling how any of us will feel about money and medicine until we actually finish medical school!

ambernikel said:
You can't take it with you, buddy.

No. But you can certainly use it while you're here.

All other things being equal, you will be much, much happier making a couple hundred thousand a year than 80 thousand if only because money buys you both freedom and mobility.

And while nobody is entitled to any salary, the investment in your human capital represented by four years of college, four years of medical school, and from three to seven years of residency should get you a better salary than the nice young lady who assembles my tacos.

Panda Bear said:
All other things being equal, you will be much, much happier making a couple hundred thousand a year than 80 thousand.

I agree with amber and would replace the phrase "much, much happier" with "somewhat happier." For me, the best things in life are free. I love things like taking a late night walk with an old friend and chatting about philosophy...or playing a competitive game of online scrabble or online chess...or reading a good book about evolutionary psychology. Luxury items are a joke to me. A ferrari? Sheesh! I would feel like a complete tool driving that ostentatious piece of ****. My Honda has equal effective performance (can go the speed limit and more without issue), has cheaper maintenance, and only slightly inferior longevity stats. Dinner at fancy restaurants? I hate being served; I usually only eat out if it's part of a social event. Sex with gold-digging bar sluts? No thanks. I'm de facto gay if a woman's IQ is less than her breast size. High end wine...well maybe that's my vice.

My parents are upper middle class, and I would have no problem with having a lower standard of living than them.

Callogician said:
I agree with amber and would replace the phrase "much, much happier" with "somewhat happier." For me, the best things in life are free. I love things like taking a late night walk with an old friend and chatting about philosophy...or playing a competitive game of online scrabble or online chess...or reading a good book about evolutionary psychology. Luxury items are a joke to me. A ferrari? Sheesh! I would feel like a complete tool driving that ostentatious piece of ****. My Honda has equal effective performance (can go the speed limit and more without issue), has cheaper maintenance, and only slightly inferior longevity stats. Dinner at fancy restaurants? I hate being served; I usually only eat out if it's part of a social event. Sex with gold-digging bar sluts? No thanks. I'm de facto gay if a woman's IQ is less than her breast size. High end wine...well maybe that's my vice.

My parents are upper middle class, and I would have no problem with having a lower standard of living than them.
wow, are you me in a guy's body? :eek: down to the ER/neuro interest!

Callogician said:

Dude. You are so going to change your tune as you get a little older. I guarantee it. Save this post. Print it out. Put it in a safe place and read it five years from now. You are going to cringe in shame the same way your AMCAS essay will make you wince if you read it when you graduate medical school.

When your wife is worrying herself sick over sending your four children to some crappy local public school and the only option is home schooling or shelling out 40,000 bucks to send them to private school she's not going to be impressed by your desire to go for a late night walk with an old friend.

My wife has put up with a lot in the last five years and we are barely half way through with making an income which pretty much limits our discretionary spending to on-line scrabble or reading. To call her a gold-digger (although she is a very, very easy on the eyes) is to not understand what motivates women. They do not want their mates to be the low neandrathal in the clan who submissively cowers to the the other males or forages for beetles and rodents while the mighty hunters are bagging the mammoth.

Can you trust yer' Uncle Panda on this?

Panda Bear said:
They do not want their mates to be the low neandrathal in the clan who submissively cowers to the the other males or forages for beetles and rodents while the mighty hunters are bagging the mammoth.

Can you trust yer' Uncle Panda on this?

Congratulations. That's the worst justification for picking a medical specialty that I've ever read on this forum, and that's saying a lot.

I think you can guess the answer to your last question. :rolleyes:

KentW said:
Congratulations. That's the worst justification for picking a medical specialty that I've ever read on this forum, and that's saying a lot.

I think you can guess the answer to your last question. :rolleyes:

I want everybody who says money isn't a factor in their career decisions to raise their hand. Anybody....anybody...you in the back? You're a graduate student, put yer' hand down, you don't count....

(Sound of crickets chirping)

Seriously though, KentW, a while back you were insisting that people who love Family Medicine shouldn't despair because you can definitely make an income higher than the low number I had postulated as your salary ceiling.

Which is it? Is money important or isn't it?

Panda Bear said:
Is money important or isn't it?

Your post wasn't simply about money. It was about making money in order to impress one's spouse/significant other.

Good luck with that.