Worst score you have ever got in pharmacy school?

Started by SClENCE
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SClENCE

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a P3 with 2 weeks of class left until P4 rotations. In my school your final grade must be 70% to pass. I have never failed a class or had to remediate a patient counseling activity/presentation/assignment, however I just walked out of an exam with a 58%!!!!

I got a 72% on the first exam, and a 58% on the second exam. There are 2 exams left in the class and I'll be done. I'm burned out and have no motivation to study. I spent about 4 hours studying for this exam lol. I guess it's time to grind it out and start studying 24/7 for the last 2 weeks. Can anyone relate to this? Wish me luck.
 
I am also a P3 with just 4 finals between me and rotations! We too have to requirement of 70%
I think the worst grade I ever got was a 72, and that was in my first semester of school (and freaked me out...), although it didn't affect my GPA too much in the long run.
about 30% of my class dropped out or fell behind a year, mostly because of not making the passing requirements...
Oh, I remember the stress of needing to get that final 70% Keep your head up and be organized. I would split the studying into small manageable goals. We are all burnt out, but imagine the burnout if you God forbid have to repeat a year...

Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
honestly the worst score I ever got in a class (was pre-pharm) was a 55 - the funny thing is that I was still in the top 20% of the class with that score (1/2 of this class are MD's or DO's now) - so it is not like we were a bunch of lackey's coasting our way through a diploma mill - the professor then realized he made have made it a tad tough
 
I'm a P3 with 2 weeks of class left until P4 rotations. In my school your final grade must be 70% to pass. I have never failed a class or had to remediate a patient counseling activity/presentation/assignment, however I just walked out of an exam with a 58%!!!!

I got a 72% on the first exam, and a 58% on the second exam. There are 2 exams left in the class and I'll be done. I'm burned out and have no motivation to study. I spent about 4 hours studying for this exam lol. I guess it's time to grind it out and start studying 24/7 for the last 2 weeks. Can anyone relate to this? Wish me luck.

Best of luck. Mine was like a mid 50% before the curve. But my school usually said we did bad on average before the curve (we don't normally know what our grades were actually). Don't know if that was a scare tactic or not.

My guess is if you never failed a class and nothing significant has changed in your life (and everyone is burned out at this point in time), then you are probably doing at above average in your class. I can't imagine your school would fail 50% of their P3 at this point in time.
 
I got a 32 on my first anatomy exam. I skated through the first semester of college (all courses I had in high school), and this punched me in the face when I started the spring semester- it was a definite wake up call that I needed to up my game. I squeaked through with a C for that course and was lucky to do so.
 
I'm a P3 with 2 weeks of class left until P4 rotations. In my school your final grade must be 70% to pass. I have never failed a class or had to remediate a patient counseling activity/presentation/assignment, however I just walked out of an exam with a 58%!!!!

I got a 72% on the first exam, and a 58% on the second exam. There are 2 exams left in the class and I'll be done. I'm burned out and have no motivation to study. I spent about 4 hours studying for this exam lol. I guess it's time to grind it out and start studying 24/7 for the last 2 weeks. Can anyone relate to this? Wish me luck.

Ive been in a spot like this, not so bad though. You just have to study really hard and get the needed grade.

If not its no big deal really. There are other ways to make a good living outside of pharmacy.
 
I got a 58% on a pharmacology exam P1 year. I got the lowest score in my class of 150+ people. Only grades in the class were 2 exams. I passed the class with a C-. I matched for PGY1 and PGY2 at reputable programs. One bad grade won't completely derail you.
 
Ah. 51%, second year, microbiology and PCNs test. Studied way too much on the microbiology (as this took up ~80% of the test material) and not enough on the PCNs. And then the obligatory "well, now I have to get X average on all the tests remaining to have Y average for the class" and trying to figure out how this is all feasible. Fun times. But there were still people who scored worse than I did on that one....
 
38% on a PS Program Biochem test. The teacher agreed that every answer was factually correct (multiple choice) but it wasn't the selection he "wanted" people to make. The asians in class were pissed.
 
it was a definite wake up call that I needed to up my game.


Can we all just agree to stop saying up my game?

As for me, worst score was low to mid 70's as I recall (graduated with a 3.8), as for being "burnt out", just get over it and put in the effort.
 
Pre-Pharm Biochem 2: I went out with my friends the night before finals and overslept till noon since my phone died. Final was at 8 in the morning. Got a zero. The average of the exam was in the low 40s so my professor curved it and I still got a B in the class.

P3 year: 51% in MedChem. Still pulled a B after the semester lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On a significant exam, 67. It was P2 year. I still beat the average score, which I think was 65. The professor was notorious, and I still consider her the worst teacher I've ever had, from kindergarten on. I think I ended up with an A-minus for the course.

On a minor quiz, 60.
 
I got a C in IPPE because I turned in my paperwork late. I can’t think of any grade worse than an 80% on any exams. That being said, I wish scholastic success translated more directly into professional success. If I had to pass tests instead of doing actual things, I’d be way better at my job.
 
One of my professional classes, the class average was often in the 40's & 50's, and the professor would just curve it. I don't remember my individual scores, but I often hovered around the average in the class, so I probably got some 40ish, maybe even a 30ish score in that class. Personally, I think the professor has failed at his job when the "highest" grade in the class, is below failing.
 
One of my professional classes, the class average was often in the 40's & 50's, and the professor would just curve it. I don't remember my individual scores, but I often hovered around the average in the class, so I probably got some 40ish, maybe even a 30ish score in that class. Personally, I think the professor has failed at his job when the "highest" grade in the class, is below failing.

It depends. I actually have the philosophy that in the graduate classes, exams need to reflect perfect understanding of the subject (and I mean perfect). The syllabus I have for the clinical trial database design (Piantadosi text and the Date temporal book) class quotes the A at the 45% and higher range with me having the discretion to move the curve in their favor. When they score 45%, that to me actually means that they know 45% of the material, and I'm happy with that. (And yes, even with that standard, I have years where someone scores in the 80's while the A's were in the 40's, those outperformers, I recommend they consider that as a possible career research decision.) Then again, I'm also the one of the most reviled graduate examiners because I send take-home exams with open book, open notes, and open conversation (as in, I don't care if they use the internet or post their actual problems because they are hard enough that crowds won't solve them), and they can submit exams jointly if they are taking the class together and they would receive the same grade. These sort of problems are ones of depth, not breadth, and part of the class's charm is to adapt the students' mentalities to the idea that the buck stops with them on these regulatory issues.

It's trivially easy for an instructor to set up students to fail, but it takes a good instructor to set up students to pass, and it takes a great instructor to push the limits of what that student talent can do. I've been very confident that I can draw out that potential from enough students (and they agree). That said, I've never thought that the sadistic approach works in the long run, but setting clear expectations that a class A is only close to half of what the subject contains is somewhat humbling. I find it personally challenging to set a difficult but fair standard as the material keeps on expanding.

For an undergraduate class where the knowledge base is supposed to be at a practitioner level, yeah, I can definitely agree with your sentiment that unless the instructor has explained the pedagogy of hard exams to knowledge base, s/he is just being sadistic and arbitrary. Supposedly, there is advice out there that what you do at work when you're not working should really be your work, but I often wonder why some of my colleagues would choose education when their proclivities are toward sadism rather than success.
 
...but I often wonder why some of my colleagues would choose education when their proclivities are toward sadism rather than success.

It gets the girls in class to sleep with you in exchange for a grade bump.

I'm being completely serious and know two professors who do this, one of which gets rotated to a different site every year (undergrad anatomy).