Worst Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnderdogMD

Blow the Whistle!!!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is the thread to vent your frustrations at the worst secondary you have gotten. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I propose University of Louisville. It is long as $hit and the questions are borderline ridiculous. It wants high-school activities and other out of the blue questions. It is the most redundant secondary I have worked on. Complete drudge work. In case it is not clear-this secondary blows. I am out of state and I have the urge to write "Is this how you justify the secondary fee? By requesting all of the exact same information already on the AMCAS." I have yet to run across a worst secondary and believe me I have seen some stupid ones.

Members don't see this ad.

UConn's is tough.

So's UMaryland's.

The University of Connecticut one is pretty rediculous. It even asks you if you had the opportunity to have dinner conversation with some figure who contributed to medicine, biology, etc etc, who would they be and why? That compiled with five other essay questions, yep...6 essay questions. That one sucked @$$.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rosalind Franklin and Virginia Commonwealth are much worse than just boring and repetitive. I'd much rather have to repeat the info on my AMCAS than to have to come up with an additional personal statement.

Rosalind Franklin's was annoying because you couldn't cut & paste from any other essays. Loyola's wasn't fun just because there were so many darn essays.

Duke, Vanderbilt, and Northwestern.

Edit: Forgot to add USC.

Oh and I also hate the ones that ask you to predict the future. If I could do that I would have listed it on the AMCAS as "Fortune-Teller."

I predict that I won't be submitting your secondary.

LOL UnderdogMD. I know how all of you guys feel. I received most my secondaries about two weeks ago and was so overwhelmed with the essays that i haven't even been able to finish one secondary yet. I feel requiring anything more than a diversity and why do you want to go here essay is ridiculous. I am tired of writing essays that ask you why medicine which forces me to practically find a unique way to paraphrase my entire PS. Thumbs down also to Pittsburgh's dilemma essay and tOSU's altruism essay.

I heard Duke's sucked...yes/no?

Beat me to it. I have heard so much abou that secondary. Too many essays though at least one or two of them are repetitive if you've done the Upitt or Umiami secondary.

Oh and I also hate the ones that ask you to predict the future. If I could do that I would have listed it on the AMCAS as "Fortune-Teller."

I predict that I won't be submitting your secondary.
Hahaha!:laugh: That's pretty funny.

I hate the one question on Queen's University's app (Canada): "Why did you choose your referees?" Um, I thought they'd write me good letters?:rolleyes: I guess it makes SOME sense b/c they don't have rigid letter requirements (any 3 outside of friends/family will do), but still, kind of random. And they really don't give you much room to explain, IMO.

I dislike Hopkins's secondary. Too many essays, and kinda ridiculous at that. Describe one instance where you were a minority, and how that made you feel.

Um, no, screw you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I second the Louisville one, mostly because of the high school activities part. I had no idea what I did in high school (I hated it so much I basically blocked it out of mind) and had to call up my undergrad and request that they send me a copy of my application. That process took foreeeever.

Also, Kentucky's was ridiculously long. Six essays -- seven if you're lucky enough to be OOS (like me). It's not that they were tough or that I minded doing them, it's just that that particular secondary ended up being around eight pages.:cool:

now if you are applying for MD/PhD...

extra application with extra essays to add on top

isn't that kind of long for filling out a secondary? Am i doing somethign wrong!?:eek::cool:

The Duke Admissions Director once told me because their secondary is so ridiculously long, only about half the people returned the secondary so a large number of people who returned secondaries get interview offers.

So, think of it this way. The longer the secondary application, the lower the number of people completing them (or doing a good job on them) so less competition.....

To answer your question, I think Duke and UCLA both have really long secondary applications.

Reactions: 1 user
btw i would not mind doing the vandy secondary at all, because that would mean i actually got an interview and have a chance at acceptance. If i was guaranteed an interview the secondaries would not be a big deal. But its the fact that my chances of interview at the really good schools (top 20) are not especially high coupled with the worry that i may get rejected soley based on my essay, especially if the essay is non-generic.

what? that one was the best ever. Took me like 2 hours tops.
2 hours is crazy! the best secondary that i ever got was from tufts because it asked only simple questions and gave me a chance to explain some things further - it took me 30 min at the most.

Absolutely most convoluted essay topic ever.
Clearly written by someone with a very obtuse thought process. :laugh:
I think this question needs a poll!

btw i would not mind doing the vandy secondary at all, because that would mean i actually got an interview and have a chance at acceptance. If i was guaranteed an interview the secondaries would not be a big deal. But its the fact that my chances of interview at the really good schools (top 20) are not especially high coupled with the worry that i may get rejected soley based on my essay, especially if the essay is non-generic.

I was going to mention just that. Vandy secondary = interview! :D

About the whole Duke thing, I do believe they put all those essays partly to weed out people because as the previous poster alluded to, many don't care to do 6 essays so it reduces their applicant pool.

University of Chicago:

(lists generic mission statement that sounds like the mission statement of every other med school in the country)

Based on this mission statement, how are you a good fit for the University of Chicago? :rolleyes:

University of Chicago:

(lists generic mission statement that sounds like the mission statement of every other med school in the country)

Based on this mission statement, how are you a good fit for the University of Chicago? :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's pretty much it. My school's motto is Dum Vivimus Servimus - while we live, we serve - so same deal. Except I didn't have to explain how I lived by our motto before I got to the school where I would be living... by the motto...

hey im working on the uchicago one right now...good times haha. i love how they say "applicants enjoy writing these essays...learning experience blah blah blah..." my question on this essay, as well as other "why us" essays is should we use creative/attention-grabbing introductions. or do med schools look down upon them and prefer brevity? the fact is, we do have enough space with some schools (such as uchic w 3500 characters) to write an introduction. but how are you all approaching these essays such that they don't sound too dry but also get to the point? thanks (and sorry if this question is somewhat convoluted)

I dislike Hopkins's secondary. Too many essays, and kinda ridiculous at that. Describe one instance where you were a minority, and how that made you feel.

Um, no, screw you.

exactly. and come on, isnt jhu like THE leader in medicine...why do we have to snail mail our secondaries?

The Duke Admissions Director once told me because their secondary is so ridiculously long, only about half the people returned the secondary so a large number of people who returned secondaries get interview offers.

So, think of it this way. The longer the secondary application, the lower the number of people completing them (or doing a good job on them) so less competition...

but if everyone thinks this way... then ....:eek:

BU. Absolutely most convoluted essay topic ever.
Clearly written by someone with a very obtuse thought process.

Why would you tell us it's convoluted without telling us what it is?

i agree ---> PRITZKER!!!

i HATE the stupid ass great fit essay......

i actually cannot explain why its so hard....it jus is. does someone else have a psychological answer for why its hard.:eek:

who knows... Chicago was the first secondary I recieved and the last one I submitted.

now if you are applying for MD/PhD...

extra application with extra essays to add on top

Um, no, screw you.
yes and yes. i wish i could go back to being naively happy that my primary was finished. it's gonna be a long year...

Looking back at all of the schools I've submitted secondaries to, nothing even compares to the ridiculousness that is Duke.

I would say Rush is pretty bad. Several "describe 1 or 2 instances in which ..." essays with only 1000 characters. I can barely describe a single instance of something, let alone two, in that limit. Loyola also had a lot of essays, which was irritating.

University of Minnesota - Duluth

Just look at this thing. It's ridiculous.

All have cutoffs at 800 characters

1. In what ways do you fit the goals of this school?

2. How do you envision your life and medical practice ten years from now?

3. Describe any participation in any health care (volunteer, employment) or social care activities.

4. How would you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class?

5. How familiar are you with life in a rural setting or American Indian community? What are some advantages and disadvantages of living in a rural community or American Indian community?

6. What are some of the important responsibilities of a family practice or other primary care physician?

7. Describe the essential qualities that you look for in a physician.

8. Briefly describe your career plans in the event that you do not attend medical school.

9. What are your recreational and leisure activities?

10. Please use this space to update the information contained in you AMCAS application. Indicate grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation dates, additions to your extracurricular activities, and anything else you feel the Committee should know.

11. Describe how you have contributed to or supported your family, extended family or local community.

12. Please describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated, please indicate what you have been doing since graduation, and what your plans are for the coming year.

13. Describe your ties to the state of Minnesota.

LLU... good thing i'm not filling it out but I edited my friend's secondary...

University of Chicago:

Yeah I got to go with Chicago as my worst one too. The essays are long. I'll probably blow it off until the end of August.

Yeah I got to go with Chicago as my worst one too. The essays are long. I'll probably blow it off until the end of August.

Speaking of Chicago and generic mission statements, I'm not looking forward to tackling Rosalind Franklin's "what does a Lifetime in Discovery mean to you?" essay, but at least I've got some ideas about what I'll be writing.

UConn was tough, but it was the first secondary I got and I was able to come up with answers to all their questions before I got bogged down with all the other schools.

The one I really want to put off is Stony Brook: "What contemporary medical issue needs to be addressed in US healthcare and why?" (I don't know how I'm going to write an essay about this that doesn't sound like every other applicant's.) "What obstacle have you overcome and how has it defined you?" (Okay, I'm set on this one. Should be able to do a bit of light editing of already-written stuff and have something good.) "What non-science class has been most valuable in med prep, and why?" (And then there's this. I'm going to have to go back and search through my transcript - off the top of my head, I don't have any thoughts that would make a good essay.)

LOL UnderdogMD. I know how all of you guys feel. I received most my secondaries about two weeks ago and was so overwhelmed with the essays that i haven't even been able to finish one secondary yet. I feel requiring anything more than a diversity and why do you want to go here essay is ridiculous. I am tired of writing essays that ask you why medicine which forces me to practically find a unique way to paraphrase my entire PS. Thumbs down also to Pittsburgh's dilemma essay and tOSU's altruism essay.

Hah! I predict that you loved the Tufts secondary.

My List:
Pritzker - the whole point of this one seems to be to gauge how well you can suck up to them
Stony Brook - "favorite non-science class" essay = total irrelevant bs
UC Davis - you practically need to write the next great American novel for them to consider you. And I thought I was done with the "my hero" essays when I graduated from elementary school.

west virginia university

Please respond to the following questions. Essays should be 1/2 to 1 page single spaced format using a 12-point font.
  1. What do you think is the biggest challenge to the current U.S. health care system today?
  2. What do you envision your life to be in 12 - 15 years?
  3. What do you value most in your life and why?
  4. Give an example of a situation of unprofessional behavior that you have seen or heard about, and your reaction to that situation.​

word, it's like writing another personal statement just for Chicago.

#1: How would you describe your ability to use unscheduled time during the day for learning?

#2: What competencies and qualities should a physician possess for practice in the 21st century?

#3: Describe the most significant community service activity in which you have participated. How did it affect you?

#4: Describe an experience or situation which made you feel grateful.

#5: In providing patient care, should physicians maintain emotional distance or empathize with patients’ emotional states? As a physician, how would you deal with your own emotions?

#6: Describe a situation in your undergraduate education when you felt alive and engaged in learning.

#7: (paraphrased) Redo your personal statement, but do it to tell us why you want to go to Kentucky.

5 pages. Single-spaced.

I second the Louisville one, mostly because of the high school activities part. I had no idea what I did in high school (I hated it so much I basically blocked it out of mind) and had to call up my undergrad and request that they send me a copy of my application. That process took foreeeever.

Also, Kentucky's was ridiculously long. Six essays -- seven if you're lucky enough to be OOS (like me). It's not that they were tough or that I minded doing them, it's just that that particular secondary ended up being around eight pages.:cool:
I didn't think Louisville's was that bad, but Kentucky's was pretty long, especially for us OOS.

Kentucky's is probably the only one that I couldn't fill out as soon as I got it.. had to think about it and slowly work on it for a couple of days, it kept burning me out.

I always heard such bas stuff about the Duke secondary but it's really not to bad. Six essays, but that secondary comes out late so by the time I was doing it I only had to actually write two essays. People also seem to get stressed out by the no word limit thing, but honestly just use that to your advantage and write more when you have something to say and less when you don't. It eliminates the editting down time.

I will add to the hatred against the UChicago secondary...that mission statement essay was killer. I seriously read the mission statement over and over for like 5 days before I even had a clue of where to begin with it, haha...I was so glad to get that one sent out!

Feinberg School of Medicine

Describe the top 3 distinguishable characteristics (non-academic) you possess and tell us how you think these characteristics will enhance your success as a FSM medical student and future physician.
(Limit your response to about 400 words)

This essay is killing me!!! It really shouldn't be this hard....

Another vote for University of Maryland here. I feel like I covered some of these questions already in my AMCAS personal statement.