Worth doing an away rotation for IM application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wisco99

Reaction score
Hi SDN. I have a unique situation that I was looking for some advice on. I am a student at a T10 USMD school applying to internal medicine. There is one program in particular that I want to match due to proximity to home (sick family), ranked somewhere in the 20s on Doximity. It is my strong desire to match there based on a combination of prestige, fellowship (hoping to match GI), culture, nearness to sick family, etc. There is only one other solid program in the state and it is pretty far. As such, I want to do everything I can to maximize my odds of matching there.

I think my app is decent for IM.
School: T10 USMD
Step 1: Pass
Step 2: Won't take til April but practice tests average around 260.
Class rank: I don't know if my school does this. Mine is probably fine, top half for sure.
AOA: no
Honors: Honored almost every clerkship (including IM) but my school's grades are quite inflated.
Research: 3-4 manuscripts (1 first author), 6 abstracts, 3 case reports, a few small-time presentations
LOR: still putting together. One of them will be extremely strong and well-written from an attending I worked with.
ECs: average. some free clinic, couple school clubs, nothing exceptional.

In terms of interview skills, I think I am pretty average. I got into 4/10 schools I interviewed at for med school.

In terms of how clinical performance, I think I would be decent at an away. I am pretty amicable and I will already have done SubI. Obviously adjusting to a new hospital/EMR puts a damper on some aspects of clinical performance but that's not unique to my situation.

With this in mind, would you do an away in my shoes? I think I would have a very strong shot at this program without it but this is about maximizing my odds. I think the odds of having a bad interview are probably higher than the odds of a bad month working there but open to suggestions. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I probably wouldn't. In a world where prestige, step 2, and research is all that is really available to differentiate students, you're clearly going to be at the top of the bell curve. While you could do well on an away, it just seems like you're opening yourself up to an opportunity to get put on service with a hardass attending who doesn't like you and tanks your application.

Just keep doing what you're doing, rock step 2, and when it comes time to apply use a signal on the program. Maybe even send them a personal message reiterating your specific desire to match at their program. Unless you bomb the interview it sounds like they're likely going to find your app compelling.

It won't be necessary for you to do an away

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really are set on wanting this one particular program, doing an away there might increase your chances on doing that (if you do well). In all other circumstances, doing an away in your case isn't worth it.

Aways in IM could be useful as an audition and/or to get strong letters IF you come from a "weaker" school. You're at a T20. Aways for you would only be if you really wanted to live somewhere else for 4 weeks or do a rotation your school doesn't offer.

Just signal these programs close to family, and you'll also be able to easily express to these programs why you want to be there.