Worth it to start studying for MCAT already?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apoptosis123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second year and I plan on taking the MCAT this September. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to start preparing for the MCAT right now. I have a lot of free time now that it is winter break, and my schedule for the next two quarters isn't too bad and should allow me to continue with studying. I plan on really going all out during the summer though.

I'm mostly worried about verbal because my reading comprehension isn't the best. If I started now and continued a few hours a week until I really start studying a lot, would it make a difference?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a second year and I plan on taking the MCAT this September. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to start preparing for the MCAT right now. I have a lot of free time now that it is winter break, and my schedule for the next two quarters isn't too bad and should allow me to continue with studying. I plan on really going all out during the summer though.

I'm mostly worried about verbal because my reading comprehension isn't the best. If I started now and continued a few hours a week until I really start studying a lot, would it make a difference?

Thank you

Starting early is not bad. At least you'll have an idea on what you will be studying. However, don't waste your practice material. I guess most people on here would tell you to read as much as you can at this point (magazines, newspapers, journals, etc.) since your verbal isn't the best... and finish your pre-reqs before you take the MCAT. I didn't take the MCAT yet but I'm telling you this because this is what I've observed from the other threads/posts.

it depends on how solid of a background you have from your mcat related prereqs. if it is very solid, it is probably not worth your time and will only cause you to burn out sooner than your test date. if you are at a point where you have lots of conceptual flaws in your knowledge or just generally don't remember concepts.. then i would say go for it, but don't concentrate on more than a conceptual review for now. get your study books together and start going through the review notes at a pace that fits your schedule and is not overwhelming.

oo, and if you are one to struggle on the verbal section, i don't think it is ever too early to start that kind of practice. it would be a good time to start this if you are not a natural :p... albeit, lightly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you taking it so early? You're taking it at the beginning of your junior year, correct? Unless you're graduating early, there's no advantage to doing that. At least wait until the winter of your junior year. You'll still get your scores in plenty of time and you'll be able to take more pre-reqs.

Why are you taking it so early? You're taking it at the beginning of your junior year, correct? Unless you're graduating early, there's no advantage to doing that. At least wait until the winter of your junior year. You'll still get your scores in plenty of time and you'll be able to take more pre-reqs.

Perhaps I should clarify. By the end of this school year I'll have all my pre-reqs finished. It seems like a good idea because I have absolutely nothing planned for the summer, and it's a solid 3 months where I can study all day every day.