Worth Joining APA as a non clinical psych grad student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychology 76

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I found a pretty cool grad student grant on the APA website and was going to apply for it. After I already started bouncing some ideas around with my grad advisor, I realized I needed to be a member of APA to apply. *they sneakily put that in there).

I'm an experimental psych student so I won't need insurance through the APA like clinical students do.

Is there any real benefit to joining APA? $54 is a little steep for some discounted journals I'll probably won't need and a newsletter. I get to apply for the grant but that's the only reason I can think of to join.

Thanks for any feedback!!

Members don't see this ad.

So I found a pretty cool grad student grant on the APA website and was going to apply for it. After I already started bouncing some ideas around with my grad advisor, I realized I needed to be a member of APA to apply. *they sneakily put that in there).

I'm an experimental psych student so I won't need insurance through the APA like clinical students do.

Is there any real benefit to joining APA? $54 is a little steep for some discounted journals I'll probably won't need and a newsletter. I get to apply for the grant but that's the only reason I can think of to join.

Thanks for any feedback!!

I'm currently in developmental psych and depending on your interests it can be helpful to join it for the divisions. For example I am a part of the health psych and adulthood and aging divisions so I get journals from them also announcements and eligibility to apply for thesis/dissertations awards and different scholarships. I also like that they have listservs that announce postdocs,workshops, and career opportunities. But I find all of those things useful, if you don't find those things particularly worth the money you can try finding other organizations that may be connected to your research interests.