Worth trying for Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reentrantspinlock

Reaction score
Edit

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Worth trying for Med School? No. As a retired physician of >40
years, I think you would need your head examined to leave your current successful gig to go into medicine( any specialty)- - seriously. Do not do it. You’re not in school anymore. You have already “made it”.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
It’s worth it if you feel it is your calling, in other words, don’t do it just because it tickles your fancy. Medical school is hard, residency is harder, it’s a lot of time, money, and stress. If you are satisfied with where you are now, I’d say stay, but if you have an honest desire to practice medicine, go for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s worth it if you feel it is your calling, in other words, don’t do it just because it tickles your fancy. Medical school is hard, residency is harder, it’s a lot of time, money, and stress. If you are satisfied with where you are now, I’d say stay, but if you have an honest desire to practice medicine, go for it.

Sure, but it was more of a question of my application being suitable for Medical School as opposed to "Is Med School worth it".

Yeah if you get in a good amount of clinical volunteering, shadowing, and don't bomb the new MCAT then I see no reason why that application would not be suitable for medical school. You'd also want to research which schools are non-traditional friendly when crafting a school list.

Reactions: 1 user
What makes you think you might want to be a doctor? What makes you think you want to deal with the sick, injured and dying for the next 35+ years?
Your GPAs are low but you know that. You have no clinical experience at all (having two friends that are attendings and a couple of cousins who are fellows doesn’t count). No shadowing. And while you have some very interesting volunteering, there is nothing that shows altruism to those less fortunate than yourself(unserved/underserved in your community). So until you can truthfully answer why medicine I’m not sure you should pursue this course. If you can answer it you have tons of work to do so get busy and Good Luck.