Would a 3-4 year old MCAT score hurt my chances for Texas schools in any way as a 34 year old non trad Texas resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedTechtoDentist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Texas resident, will be 34 when i apply and will only be applying to Texas Medical schools. My plan is to take the MCAT next summer, then take 4 pre-reqs that i need. which will take about a year and a half since i have a family and a full time job. I want to take the MCAT first because i don't want to spend 10K out of pocket taking pre reqs unless i am sure i can do well on the MCAT first. So, would it hurt me at the time of application to have a 3-4 year old score or should i change my plan and take the pre reqs first and MCAT last ?

The reason i'm taking my time to apply is because in 3-4 years i will have money for all four years of tuition saved up. I'm absolutely anti-debt.

Edit: For those who are unaware, all of Texas schools accept up to a five year old MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Contact the schools directly, because most will not accept an MCAT more than three years old. Some have a two-year limit.

Reactions: 1 user
Aside from the fact that taking the MCAT before the prerequisite courses is inadvisable, most schools won't accept an MCAT score more than 3 years old. Some technically won't take a score more than 2 years old, because they measure it from the date of potential matriculation rather than the date of application.

Also, are you planning to apply to medical school or dental school? Dental schools don't use the MCAT, but rather the DAT instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
All of Texas MD programs accept up to a five year old MCAT score. And yes i am planning to apply to MD programs. I didn't clairfy earlier, but i have taken almost all of the pre reqs and just need to take organic II and Physics II. Then statistics and Biochem ill be retaking because i feel like i can get a better grade. Have C+ in. But mostly A's and a couple B's in all other science pre reqs.

Last edited:
As long as they accept the score, then you're good. But as stated, it's generally not a good idea to take the MCAT without taking the prereqs first.