Would a clinical preceptor letter count as a math or science rec letter for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted966906

Hi guys. So I'm currently in another health professional school, not medicine, wanting to get into medical school. Most of my basic science/math teachers are from years and years ago. My most recent letters will be from my clinical preceptors. Could I ask them for a recommendation letter for medical school and would that count towards the basic science/math required recommendation letters?

For my clinical clerkships, I have had to counsel patients, provide drug recommendations, and analyze patient comorbidities, health impacts, write up a clinical case, etc. I feel this is very science, albeit, clinical science based, and should count for the science/math recommendation letters...... What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys. So I'm currently in another health professional school, not medicine, wanting to get into medical school. Most of my basic science/math teachers are from years and years ago. My most recent letters will be from my clinical preceptors. Could I ask them for a recommendation letter for medical school and would that count towards the basic science/math required recommendation letters?

For my clinical clerkships, I have had to counsel patients, provide drug recommendations, and analyze patient comorbidities, health impacts, write up a clinical case, etc. I feel this is very science, albeit, clinical science based, and should count for the science/math recommendation letters...... What are your thoughts?
I'm certainly not an adcom, so take this with a HUGE grain of salt, but my understanding is that the point of the academic LORs is to get a feel for your ability to handle the academics, not the clinical aspects, of med school, so I don't see how one would substitute for the other. Depending on how many years "years and years ago" is, you might have to retake some prereqs, so that might be something to ask the schools you are thinking about applying to about at the same time you confirm whatever advice you receive here about LORs. If you do have to retake some classes, at least you'll have an opportunity to get some recent academic LORs!

Health sciences dont count toward BCPM unfortunately. You could use that letter to talk about your clinical presence, but not for an academic thing. It isn’t the same as getting one from a PI.