Would a Letter of Recommendation from an Intro Astronomy class count as a Science letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrazilianRider

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have four teachers who are willing to write me letters of recommendations, and three of them are sciences. I have an Intro Astronomy professor who really liked me and who I really liked (he's also really well regarded in the astronomy community), a Microbiology teacher who also really liked me and who I really liked, and then a Microbiology Lab teacher who I TA'd for.

I was planning on getting a letter from the Microbiology teacher and the Microbiology Lab teacher since those are more traditional sciences, but the Lab teacher is on sabbatical now and she wants me to write the letter first and then send it to her so she can edit it and send... I don't really want to do this (I have no idea what a LoR is supposed to sound like), so I was thinking about just asking my Intro Astronomy professor since he is the most enthusiastic of the bunch in helping me out (always answering his emails first, always wanting to be helpful, etc.).

However, will colleges accept this as a Science letter? Does it "count"? Should I just suck it up and write my own letter? And if so, does anyone have any tips on that?

Thanks a ton guys!

Members don't see this ad.

You could get one from your "science" prof in animal husbandry, but it unlikely that's what adcoms had in mind.