Would a Physician's Stance Creationism/Evolutionism Make You Question Their Competence as a Doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
maxresdefault.jpg

Naw

I have been following Dr. Ben Carson's political campaign and noticed how much negative attention he receives for being both a neurosurgeon and creationist. Many people seem to have trouble accepting that a medical doctor, especially a globally-respected neurosurgeon, could reject evolution and yet still be trustworthy as a physician. What are your thoughts on that matter?
no

1218doonesbury_lg.gif

Doonesbury covered it well.

Done well. More difficult with a parent - but the same.

Some anti-medicine folks are great! A little a-fib, but they hate anticoagulation. Hypertension but they don't want meds.Whatever works.

Reactions: 1 user
Dead guy rolls into my ER - CPR on scene, continued by EMS - continued en route, so should i stop and and ask God ?
Again, whatever "God" you kneel to is lame in these cases - he/she has nothing to do with outcome. God doesn't help me, never has. God hasn't helped me with chest compressions yet.

If you "believe" in "God" as a physician, get your crystals and potions out, hold out until the moon is right, and tweak your nipples under a good Venus flare. You are an idiot. Your patient has an earthly complaint.

Either subscribe to EBM or piss off as an interloper - but don't pretend you're a doctor.

Stop that. Become a "faith healer."

Reactions: 1 users
I have been following Dr. Ben Carson's political campaign and noticed how much negative attention he receives for being both a neurosurgeon and creationist. Many people seem to have trouble accepting that a medical doctor, especially a globally-respected neurosurgeon, could reject evolution and yet still be trustworthy as a physician. What are your thoughts on that matter?

My principal concern is that he's good at cutting brain and around brain and spine correctly.

Dead guy rolls into my ER - CPR on scene, continued by EMS - continued en route, so should i stop and and ask God ?
Again, whatever "God" you kneel to is lame in these cases - he/she has nothing to do with outcome. God doesn't help me, never has. God hasn't helped me with chest compressions yet.

If you "believe" in "God" as a physician, get your crystals and potions out, hold out until the moon is right, and tweak your nipples under a good Venus flare. You are an idiot. Your patient has an earthly complaint.

Either subscribe to EBM or piss off as an interloper - but don't pretend you're a doctor.

Stop that. Become a "faith healer."
Why would belief in god be at odds with EBM? There is not yet a good atheist escape from solipsism or materialist escape from determinism , but you wouldnt assume someone who believes reality and free will exist must also support alternative medicine...nearly everyone holds unevidenced beliefs and that doesn't tell you anything about their ability to practice

I doubt half of what politicians say say they believe is what they actually believe. Dr. Carson (and much of the Republican candidates) stand to benefit by professing a belief in creationism. Liberal politicians do it just as much.

Personally I want a physician who is competent and cares about my well-being. I don't see how Dr. Carson believing in evolution vs creationism changes that. I don't know anything about him personally though, so if he were a "militant believer" one way or the other, that would make me question his ability to be open-minded and his tolerance for ideas different than what he's used to.

Like many out there, I don't see how evolution threatens the existence of God. The Catholic Church supports evolution (not necessarily all Catholics do, but the official Church standing is evolution explains our physical existence and God explains our spiritual existence)
I remember Ben Carson being a creationist from 3odd years ago so I don't think he's faking his religious beliefs for the campaign. I do agree that plenty of politicians don't really believe what they say though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember Ben Carson being a creationist from 3odd years ago so I don't think he's faking his religious beliefs for the campaign. I do agree that plenty of politicians don't really believe what they say though.

Like Harvard educated senator lawyers claiming that 5 people on the Supreme Court don't have the right to decide constitutional matters.

I had a co-resident who was a young earth creationist. perfectly acceptable doctor, but her political beliefs defied all logic (and no not your typical far right politics either, a weird mix of conservative and liberal ideas...).

Last edited:

Dr. Ben Carson is not a globally respected neurosurgeon within the field of neurosurgery. The field of neurosurgery is incredibly small and, from what I've been told by neurosurgeons, you would be hard pressed to find any of them that respect him professionally. He lost his gravity in the field a long time ago. He has since acquired a lot of political respect however.

That being said, he was an absolute beast in terms of productivity. He performed an insane number of surgeries every year and made a lot of money doing it.

Last edited:
Dr. Ben Carson is not a globally respected neurosurgeon within the field of neurosurgery. The field of neurosurgery is incredibly small and, from what I've been told by neurosurgeons, you would be hard pressed to find any of them that respect him professionally. He lost his gravity in the field a long time ago. He has since acquired a lot of political respect however.

That being said, he was an absolute beast in terms of productivity. He performed an insane number of surgeries ever year and made a lot of money doing it.

:rolleyes:

It's interesting to talk about the whole globally-renowned thing, not like the public or physicians outside of neurosurgery know or care about who is renowned or not.

@allantois

People care when they or someone they love requires service. I've seen wealthy people fly their children from across the country to get #1 instead of utilizing #2 a block from their house. Although, I think that you're right. Unless in need of service, no one cares (certainly not the whole world) to know who is or isn't a neurosurgeon (or even further, a respected neurosurgeon).

That being said, he was an absolute beast in terms of productivity. He performed an insane number of surgeries ever year and made a lot of money doing it.

Really? I was under the assumption that being the first to separate Siamese twins put him on the map.

Either that or he's been planning for a while.

Last edited:
As someone who increasingly delves into the arcane art of surgery and begins to appreciate the beauty and wonder of the human body, I can't say that I don't sometimes wonder if some intelligence designed such complexity.

The aesthetic proportions of the face, the sheer complexity of the hand, the clusterf*ckedness of the bilary/pancreatic duct system are all astounding to me...

And at the end of the day, who cares if I think someone designed it or it happened by chance? I am still tasked with fixing it when it goes bad and the sheer complexity of it all is still humbling...

As someone who increasingly delves into the arcane art of surgery and begins to appreciate the beauty and wonder of the human body, I can't say that I don't sometimes wonder if some intelligence designed such complexity.

The aesthetic proportions of the face, the sheer complexity of the hand, the clusterf*ckedness of the bilary/pancreatic duct system are all astounding to me...

And at the end of the day, who cares if I think someone designed it or it happened by chance? I am still tasked with fixing it when it goes bad and the sheer complexity of it all is still humbling...

Perhaps aliens would not find us particularly attractive. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

There are varying degrees of creationism. There is one called ID (intelligent design) that integrates religion with evolution. There is also theistic evolution, and evolutionary creationism.

Google Randy Moore. U of MN biology professor. Read one of his books on the matter. It's eye opening.

I actually tend to think that the complexity and "clusterf*ckedness" of things points to the idea that it wasn't designed. To me, purposeful simplicity is the mark of design.

There are varying degrees of creationism. There is one called ID (intelligent design) that integrates religion with evolution. There is also theistic evolution, and evolutionary creationism.

Google Randy Moore. U of MN biology professor. Read one of his books on the matter. It's eye opening.

Are you advertising a book by your college professor? o_O

no. in googling creationism/evolution controversy, his name pops up. I live in SE, not midwest