Would a Post Bacc be my best option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhantomDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently failed to get an interview from any school. I have a 25 MCAT (3rd try) and a 3.0 cGPA and sGPA after grade replacement. I thought about doing a post bacc last year, but figured I would have a chance with a better MCAT score. Got it up to a 25 but still no luck. I have over 1000 volunteer hours from a community clinic and the Muscular Dystrophy Association. I've also been on a medical mission trip. I thought that all of my extracurricular activities would help them overlook my low GPA, guess not.

After scouring these forums, it seems that LECOM has a post bacc that "guarantees" admission to the DO program if a 3.0 GPA is met with my current MCAT score. Are there any other schools that have similar circumstances? And would this be my best option right now? I've been out of school for almost 3 years now, and just desperate to get back in and have my life started again. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Def retake some science courses. 3.0 is too low with your mcat. People may get in with similar stats to yours but they have somethin else in their app that really stands out. Retake 3-4 science courses, get a's and you are good to go.

LECOM might be a good idea ( consider emailing them).
What happened with the mcat though?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm.. I have a 26 MCAT...but a 3.5 sci and 3.8 cGPA...should I retake the MCAT or go to a post-bac as well?? I'm applying strictly to DO schools this cycle...

Hmm.. I have a 26 MCAT...but a 3.5 sci and 3.8 cGPA...should I retake the MCAT or go to a post-bac as well?? I'm applying strictly to DO schools this cycle...

Post bacc is to raise GPA. Yours is fine. Your MCAT is the only thing holding you back (stats-wise) from getting the DO school of your choice.

But, as is, you are good to go...I'd say apply early and to enough schools and youll probably even have a few schools to choose from. :thumbup:

Good luck!

My school guarantees an interview, NOT an admission. You still have to earn that. So yes, they're out there. You might want to try one admissions cycle and focus ont he newest schools, and work the eyar to save up some money. If no luck, then do the post-bac/SMP. I suspect that you've reached your plataeu on the MCAT and so improving your GPA will be in your best interests.

I recently failed to get an interview from any school. I have a 25 MCAT (3rd try) and a 3.0 cGPA and sGPA after grade replacement. I thought about doing a post bacc last year, but figured I would have a chance with a better MCAT score. Got it up to a 25 but still no luck. I have over 1000 volunteer hours from a community clinic and the Muscular Dystrophy Association. I've also been on a medical mission trip. I thought that all of my extracurricular activities would help them overlook my low GPA, guess not.

After scouring these forums, it seems that LECOM has a post bacc that "guarantees" admission to the DO program if a 3.0 GPA is met with my current MCAT score. Are there any other schools that have similar circumstances? And would this be my best option right now? I've been out of school for almost 3 years now, and just desperate to get back in and have my life started again. Thanks.

Overall you're a competitive applicant and probably will get a few acceptances.

I've been postponing making the same thread for some time now.

I applied late last cycle with similar stats and EC's. (27M, 3.01 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA after grade replacement) I attributed the lack of response to the late aacomas verification (late October to early November).

I plan on applying this cycle much, much earlier than I did last year, though I've also put in apps for post-bacc programs in my state (FL) as well as grad degree programs.

My question, to all the SDN guru's, is whether it would be in my best intrest to continue taking undergrad courses and try to bump up my ugGPA or if I should pursue the graduate/ post-bacc classes.

Thanks in advance

I've been postponing making the same thread for some time now.

I applied late last cycle with similar stats and EC's. (27M, 3.01 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA after grade replacement) I attributed the lack of response to the late aacomas verification (late October to early November).

I plan on applying this cycle much, much earlier than I did last year, though I've also put in apps for post-bacc programs in my state (FL) as well as grad degree programs.

My question, to all the SDN guru's, is whether it would be in my best intrest to continue taking undergrad courses and try to bump up my ugGPA or if I should pursue the graduate/ post-bacc classes.

Thanks in advance

My advice would be to re-take all your C+ and lower classes and use grade replacement. If you can get at least to a 3.2-3.3 you will likely have some great results, given you can apply early.

I think as of now, you are really on the bubble of acceptability, so Id say, take those classes ASAP.

Good luck

My advice would be to re-take all your C+ and lower classes and use grade replacement. If you can get at least to a 3.2-3.3 you will likely have some great results, given you can apply early.

I think as of now, you are really on the bubble of acceptability, so Id say, take those classes ASAP.

Good luck

Agreed, as is your gpa is a bit low. Although a certain kat on here had a successful cycle with similar stats.

Agreed, as is your gpa is a bit low. Although a certain kat on here had a successful cycle with similar stats.

...I move to replace "successful cycle" with "received an acceptance"

;)

Mods: Please move to WAMC

I would look into VCOM's post bac. They guarentee admission with a 3.5 gpa in the program. I had simmilar stats (3.1 sGPA and 24 MCAT) I am currently in the post bac and now am accepted to VCOM for the class of 2017! I also applied to the LECOM post bac- they have a simmilar acceptance policy- but decided that I liked VCOM better. If you do a post bac, I would count on going to the med school that you do the post bac at.

Thanks all, and good luck OP.

I was under the impression that undergrad GPA was screened by admissions committee regardless of MCAT, graduate GPA, EC's etc. and that a sub-3.0 (or minimum required by school) was automatically thrown out.

Am I right in this assumption?

Also, on a different (MD related =0) note,

https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/2012factstable24.pdf

Does this (infamous) table consider graduate GPA? and who are 1000+ sub 3.00 GPA people matriculating at MD schools (besides the half scoring 30+ MCAT)
I can't imagine they are ALL donating $$$ (Though I'm sure some are)

Last edited:
Thanks all, and good luck OP.

I was under the impression that undergrad GPA was screened by admissions committee regardless of MCAT, graduate GPA, EC's etc. and that a sub-3.0 (or minimum required by school) was automatically thrown out.

Am I right in this assumption?

Also, on a different (MD related =0) note,

Does this (infamous) table consider graduate GPA? and who are 1000+ sub 3.00 GPA people matriculating at MD schools (besides the half scoring 30+ MCAT)
I can't imagine they are ALL donating $$$ (Though I'm sure some are)

Different schools have different cutoffs for min GPA (I think Ive seen as low as 2.5), but you are correct that they all look at undergrad GPA. (the only exception I know of are "fresh start" programs that some schools have for those who have been out of undergrad for 10 years or so)

this also helps explain GPA, more specifically, when you include a breakdown of URM vs not:

https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/app...mcat-gpa-grid-by-selected-race-ethnicity.html

At our school, not by the AdCom, but the Admissions Office. For us it's not just GPA but MCAT as well.

I believe that there are several factors in those numbers. They're not solely donors, but can be friends/relatives of Deans/Faculty/Alumni. Others may have truly compelling story, like the Peace Corp volunteer who survived cancer and set up her own foundation, after serving in the military, etc etc. Others may indeed have had 4.0 post-bacs, but had too much damage in UG for the post-bac to greatly boost the cGPA into competetive numbers.

I can't imagine they are ALL donating $$$ (Though I'm sure some are)[/QUOTE]