Would anyone turn down Harvard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glinkov

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If granted an acceptance to Harvard Med. right now, would anyone honestly choose a different school? Or is everyone's dream Harvard?

Members don't see this ad.

Of course. Full ride/significant scholarship at any other top 15 school (Duke, Michigan, UCSF) and I would do it in a heartbeat.

I'd rather go to UWSOM

Members don't see this ad :)
If I got in somewhere with a better location, you bet.

I'd turn it down unless they gave me scholarships that match my in-state tuition.

I'd turn it down unless they gave me scholarships that match my in-state tuition.

So fine, you'd be in 150 grand debt going to a state school instead of 220. You really think it's worth giving up the chance to attend a world class medical school, considering you'll pay the debt off eventually anyway???

If granted an acceptance to Harvard Med. right now, would anyone honestly choose a different school? Or is everyone's dream Harvard?

I did'nt know Harvard had a Medical School.

So fine, you'd be in 150 grand debt going to a state school instead of 220. You really think it's worth giving up the chance to attend a world class medical school, considering you'll pay the debt off eventually anyway???

It's more like $110k for tuition, books, living expenses at my state school, not 150. And the answer is still yes.

I sort of envision Harvard as being full of upper-class elitist snobs (although I've never been there, so I cant say for sure) so in that case I can think of lots of places I'd rather go.... Texas Tech comes to mind :D

if I got into harvard, chances are I'd have gotten into Michigan as well... and Harvard would certainly not be worth the cost in that case given the in-state tuition.

and to be honest, I'll have a very hard time turning down other schools besides Wayne State given the cost factor.

I think a much more meaningful poll would be a poll of people who actually got into Harvard and then turned it down.

Yeah I'd rather stay in state

Members don't see this ad :)
I think a much more meaningful poll would be a poll of people who actually got into Harvard and then turned it down.

:thumbup: . Most of us will not get into Harvard, so of course its easy to say we're above them, definitely doesnt stop most from applying. The fact is though that hardly anyone really turns down Harvard, and they probably have the highest percentage of acceptees matriculate. Come back in March for the Harvard acceptance thread, you'll get a much better feel for reality then.

I love Vanderbilt, I'd turn down Harvard for Vanderbilt or Baylor or many of the schools on my list, but I didn't even apply to Harvard.

Um....NO.

It's all about prestige (In other words, I would go to Harvard just to have their diploma/subsequent prestige hanging on my wall).

But that's just me.

I am the opposite of some SDNers, prestige (among US schools, prestige and stigma are different to me) is one of my lowest considerations in choosing a med school. Location, USMLE step 1 scores (trying to control for student body aptitude), impression of the faculty as strongly teaching oriented, impressions of the student body, and quantity+quality of clinical facilities are all more important to me in choosing a med school.

So yes, I could easily decide not to go to harvard if was accepted there.

Yeah, I would turn it down. In fact, I didn't even apply. Not for undergrad, not for graduate school, and not for medical school. With Harvard's HUGE endowment, they could expand their medical school and provide a great education to many students...but they don't. They could build more hospitals and institutions in the US and around the world to help many many people in need (like Cornell did in Qatar to train future docs in the MiddleEast)....but they don't. What Harvard DOES is keep its money to show off its endowment and steal profs away from other schools while simultaneously denying tenure to many of its junior professors. They use their money just enough to stay at number one, and to keep ******ed people in a trance about how "great" Harvard is. Harvard is for prestige-wh0res, and in the end, prestige carries no real worth. It's all in the head. I would rather go to a UC (being a Cali resident) because they scrape up every single dime that they can to provide a great education to as many people as they can. My hat especially goes off to Michigan, because they are gracious enough spend much of their resources training out-of-staters (over 50% of their med students are OOSers) despite being a public school.

I can think of at least ten other schools I'd pick over Harvard, if faced with equal fin-aid.

My Dream Schools List:

1) Stanford
2) Johns Hopkins
3) University of Washington
4) UCSF
5) Duke
6) Harvard

So 5 schools beat Harvard for me.

There's a better location than Boston/Cambridge? Do explain where and how.
NOTE: Keep in mind that I grew up in a town of 185, so I am comfortable in small towns and I don't party like a lot of you. Also the following list is in no particular order.

1. University of New England (although I would choose an MD school over a DO program)
2. NYMC
3. Jeff
4. Drexel
5. Kirksville
6. Hawaii
7. Marshall
8. UI-Chicago
9. UI- Anywhere else
10. Louisville
11. Temple
12. GW
13. Georgetown
14. Indiana
15. Brown
16. West Virginia
17. Oklahoma State
18. Arizona (DO program)

Um....NO.

It's all about prestige (In other words, I would go to Harvard just to have their diploma/subsequent prestige hanging on my wall).

But that's just me.
I would frame the letter of acceptance, right next to my letter telling them to take their spot and stick it. :laugh:

I only knew one person who got into Harvard Med, and she took the acceptance in a heartbeat! I would too unless I got a alot of money from some of the other top schools out there. I'm attending my instate school right now and while I enjoy it, Harvard is definitely one of my top choices had I gotten the grades to get in there.

NOTE: Keep in mind that I grew up in a town of 185, so I am comfortable in small towns and I don't party like a lot of you.

a bit defensive? ;)

people do turn down harvard. i think 238 were accepted and 165 actually went. albeit those are very high acceptance averages, people do turn them down.

Boston/Cambridge is overrated - take it from a resident. I'd much rather chill in NYC - the real city - or in San Fran. Not to mention Hawaii (the big island), or various parts of the Pacific Northwest. Despite the dogma, there are a *lot* of places on par (or better) than BoC for college students in the US. BoCam is all right in the fall, but that's the only fun season here. And comared to some other spots, there really *aren't* that many things to do.

NOTE: Keep in mind that I grew up in a town of 185, so I am comfortable in small towns and I don't party like a lot of you.

Don't you go to school in the BaltWash Metro area? How's that going for you?

a bit defensive?
:laugh: No, not at all....just stating those facts to avoid the "What about the nightlife!" posts that always follow when I say I wouldn't want to be in LA, NYC or any other big cities that people go to so they can have "things to do" in their spare time.

Boston/Cambridge is overrated - take it from a resident. I'd much rather chill in NYC - the real city - or in San Fran. BoCam is all right in the fall, but that's the only fun season here. And comared to some other spots, there really *aren't* that many things to do.

Chicago is my favorite city and I've been to NYC, SF, and Boston. Of course if I was rich, Miami Beach would look tempting compared to Chi-town winters. ;)

There are people who would turn it down for a full scholarship, but keep in mind that number is very very very very few people which is why you won't see much waitlist movement at HMS.

I knew a guy on here last year who did just that. His usernname is Dajimmers and he may still post in allopathic forums. Who knows.

He went on to UMich because he was married and his wife had a good teaching job there and he felt it was a better fit for him. He also had a full ride there so that made it all the more worthwhile.

He lived in Mich all his life and went to undergrad there so he knew the area better too.

I think the location, family related matters, financial help, and overall fit of the school was better for him.

So it does happen but very rarely.

Don't you go to school in the BaltWash Metro area? How's that going for you?
I'm moving here in a month. I'll be starting school in northern VA next January hopefully. I used to live in Maryland for two years, so I know what I am getting into.

Yes..there are people that don't like cold, annoying accents, horrible traffic, or cities.

Chicago is my favorite city and I've been to NYC, SF, and Boston. Of course if I was rich, Miami Beach would look tempting compared to Chi-town winters. ;)

Yeah - I could definitely see myself in the windy city as well, or in certain parts of Florida. Northern winters aren't worth it unless it snows - and it doesn't snow often enough... :cool:

I turned them down for undergrad for a full ride at a reputable liberal arts college. i couldn't do it twice in a lifetime...

My Dream Schools List:

1) Stanford
2) Johns Hopkins
3) University of Washington
4) UCSF
5) Duke
6) Harvard

So 5 schools beat Harvard for me.

I met a 5th year neurosurgery student during my interview at UCSF who had gotten into Harvard and a bunch of other prestigious schools and turned them down to go to UCSF, and I would certainly do the same thing. I know a couple people who got into Harvard last year and only one of them went. It's a good school but not any better than a host of other top-notch schools and Boston is REALLY cold in the winter.

I turned them down for undergrad for a full ride at a reputable liberal arts college. i couldn't do it twice in a lifetime...

Bucs just scored a TD.

Btw, I don't think I could ever be a Pats fan let alone the Celtics.

Yes..there are people that don't like cold, annoying accents, horrible traffic, or cities.

It's not our fault you never learned how to drive and that no one ever taught you that the alphabet only has 25 letters :). Plus, everyone walks/takes the T in Boston anyways :).

Didn't apply because its not where I want to go. I think its a lot of peoples dream school because of its reputation but I dont want to go anywhere I dont feel comfortable. Ive been on campus several times for tours and visiting and its not the school for me. For those who did apply...good luck!!

If granted an acceptance to Harvard Med, right now, would anyone honestly choose a different school?
In a word, NO. If one applied to Harvard, one would conceivably WANT to attend Harvard Medical school. It's a great school, great experiences and located in a pretty neat area (Cambridge). What's not to like about Harvard? Why would anyone turn down an excellent medical eduction?

Is everyone's dream school Harvard?
Probably not. There are many great schools with great experiences and excellent educational resources and likely more appealing than Harvard for many people. Many people have given reasons why Harvard would not be their first choice or "dream school".

It would be pretty stupid to turn down an acceptance to any medical school if that's your only acceptance. I have a very good friend who is about to graduate from Harvard Med. It wasn't his first choice but it was his only acceptance. I don't think he has any regrets at all. :D

I seriously doubt any of you would turn down Harvard if you could afford going there, Harvard is simply put the best. They are ntot elitist snobs at all my Doctors and my father all went to Harvard and they are some of the most compassionate people I have ever met. I know many medical students from Harvard and they are all great people. But as many of you know it is not what medical school you go to it is the residency you get.

My dislike for Harvard has nothing to do with the school, and everything to do with Boston being one of the most expensive areas in the US to live. That combined with it being a crowded city and cold weather.....no thanks.

I seriously doubt any of you would turn down Harvard if you could afford going there, Harvard is simply put the best. They are ntot elitist snobs at all my Doctors and my father all went to Harvard and they are some of the most compassionate people I have ever met. I know many medical students from Harvard and they are all great people. But as many of you know it is not what medical school you go to it is the residency you get.

I've never met a non elitest med graduate from Harvard, or graduate, for that matter, period (from any school).

I know a Neurosurgeon at WFU-Baptist that attended Harvard for med and residency and refers to himself as "The God Surgeon" and "SuperSurg" constantly speaks of how he gets letters from all over the world from fellow surgeons who have seen his work and comment on what an artist he is in the field of neurosurgery.

There's also a CT Surgeon at Forsyth that my mom speaks of working with who is wellknown to have a doll of himself dressed in a Superman outfit and a plaque underneath it from himself that says "To the greatest surgeon in the world. From the greatest surgeon in the world"

These are two isolated cases, granted but I also know people from Undergraduate and a friend that will be entering a PhD program at Harvard in CompSci and they're all snobs who live to insert the following phrase into EVERY sentence:

"Well, when I was at Harvard..."

Kashala, not everyone prays at the altar of Harvard. I'd wager many of us don't have feelings either way about the school - we just have several other places we'd rather spend the next four years of our lives; both school-wise and city-wise.

maybe for UCSF.
maybe.

I think it would be crazy to turn down harvard. I work with this guy who was granted an acceptance to harvard after scoring a 44 on the mcat. He had a sub-average GPA. He was planning to go to harvard and a month before school started he backed out and went for his PhD. Wouldn't be me.

yeya thats right.

Seriously, Chicago's very underrated..I know the coasts like to gloss over anything in between, but anyone I know from either coast who's moved here has said they were a little worried about it at first, but ended up loving it.