Would becoming a resident advisor help me get into grad school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would taking the residential advising position be helpful considering my goals?

• Yes, take it!

• No, focus on school.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Metallic Purple Plant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Context- I'm a psych major and I got offered a resident advising position in a dorm (a 20-hour/week commitment). This semester, I'll be joining a lab and preparing for the GRE also. So, I will be pretty busy. As far as my GPA goes, if I get all A's from this point on, I'll end up with a 3.43 when I graduate. I'm hoping to get into a PhD clinical psychology program. So, should I just focus on school and try to get all A's or, instead, try to diversify my resume since there's no way I can reach a 3.5 anyway?

By the time I graduate, I would have the following relevant experience to put on my application-
Teaching assistant for a human sexuality course
Mentor consultant at the writing center at my school
Facilitator for various freshman to junior level english courses (worked with international students+played the role of a mentor)
Volunteered at a nursing home
Research experience for a year and a half
Member of the psychology club at my school
And a summer internship

Will being a resident advisor really make much difference to my resume/help me get into grad school? I know it won't harm my chances but I'm apprehensive about taking it because I might not be able to get all A's because of how time consuming the position is.

I appreciate all input! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Context- I'm a psych major and I got offered a resident advising position in a dorm (a 20-hour/week commitment). This semester, I'll be joining a lab and preparing for the GRE also. So, I will be pretty busy. As far as my GPA goes, if I get all A's from this point on, I'll end up with a 3.43 when I graduate. I'm hoping to get into a PhD clinical psychology program. So, should I just focus on school and try to get all A's or, instead, try to diversify my resume since there's no way I can reach a 3.5 anyway?

By the time I graduate, I would have the following relevant experience to put on my application-
Teaching assistant for a human sexuality course
Mentor consultant at the writing center at my school
Facilitator for various freshman to junior level english courses (worked with international students+played the role of a mentor)
Volunteered at a nursing home
Research experience for a year and a half
Member of the psychology club at my school
And a summer internship

Will being a resident advisor really make much difference to my resume/help me get into grad school? I know it won't harm my chances but I'm apprehensive about taking it because I might not be able to get all A's because of how time consuming the position is.

I appreciate all input! :)
Unless your research area is best practices in resident advising, it won't help.

Only take it if it will make your life better in some other important way and not interfere with grades/research.

Unless your research area is best practices in resident advising, it won't help.

Only take it if it will make your life better in some other important way and not interfere with grades/research.

Second this.

Members don't see this ad :)