Medical Would clinical research count towards clinical volunteering hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently lack clinical exposure. I recently landed a clinical research opportunity where I will get to talk to patients and run through what we do. Will this be sufficient for clinical exposure and research as well or should I pursue more clinical exposure opportunities (besides Job Shadowing)?
Given the description, I don't think so.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Not usually like that, that's more a research coordinator, although there are projects that are not on the bench either. There are now "translational" research projects to the bedside that you do that sort of patient interaction, but they rarely take on volunteers as the research is generally on practice methods and they try not to get variance in the personnel (meaning if you do volunteer, you are in it for the long haul). If you do want that kind of experience and want a hot topic right now with interaction, consider working on one of the SAMHSA/HUD projects out there.

Not only would you get your clinical research credentials in order, you could do so among drug addicts and the homeless, both topics of high interest on both the research and human suffering levels as well as give you some knowledge of how protocols have to adapt to practice circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.