Would I still be able to get in to D.O. school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungGrasshoppa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am currently a Junior working on a BSA Biochemistry degree with a computer science certificate counting towards my minor. I currently have a cummulative GPA of 2.7616. My GPA is so low because of my freshman year ( traveled home a lot for family things and didn't spend enough time preparing for classes. Since then, I've been making lots of A's and B's (one C+ in Ochem 2). I wanted to retake the pre-req courses that i made a C in to boost my GPA before i graduate, but UT Austin does not allow retakes for grades that are C- and up. Would it be bad if i retook these classes over summer at a community college and focused on taking more upper division science classes (and making B+ to A's in them) at UT? Should I do a post-bacc instead?

For Extracurriculars I...
1. work as a research assistant in a genetics lab
2. founder and officer of a public health club that visits elementary schools to teach children
3. lead worship at church as a guitarist
4. I also enjoy making android apps during my spare time (not really EC but it's a hobby!)

My Pre-Req grades are:
BIO 311C: A
BIO 311D: B
BIO Lab: signed up for a genetics lab for spring 2015
CH 302: A-
CH 303: C+
CH lab: B+
OCHEM 1: B+
OCHEM 2: C+
BIOCHEM 1: currently taking looks like im going to end up with a B+ or A
BIOCHEM 2: Next semester
PHY 1: A
PHY 2: Currently taking

I am currently taking Princeton's MCAT prep program and from practice tests i feel like i can make a 32 or higher.

Do I still have a chance of getting into a D.O. school (preferably UNT since it is located at my home town) if i retake my C+ classes at a community college since i'm not allowed to at UT?

I really want to do medicine, but my mistakes freshman year have really been pulling my GPA down.

Members don't see this ad.

Post in pre-osteo, because you'll get more responses.

That said, you need to bring your cGPA above a 3.0 before applying DO. You need to do this with course retakes. Those two C+'s aren't the only things giving you below a 3.0 cGPA. You need to retake more <B- grades. However you want to do it is fine (e.g. CC courses in the summer, do-it-yourself post-bac, etc.).

Now if you get GPAs above a 3.0 and a 30+ MCAT, you could get in somewhere if you apply early and broadly.

As far as TCOM goes, from what I remember TMDSAS does not do grade replacement, so that may make things a bit harder for you. Someone who knows more about TCOM could probably elaborate more on your chances.

TCOM uses TMDSAS for GPA calculations, so you'd have to apply out of state (or wait until there is a private DO school in Texas).

Members don't see this ad :)
Post in pre-osteo, because you'll get more responses.

That said, you need to bring your cGPA above a 3.0 before applying DO. You need to do this with course retakes. Those two C+'s aren't the only things giving you below a 3.0 cGPA. You need to retake more <B- grades. However you want to do it is fine (e.g. CC courses in the summer, do-it-yourself post-bac, etc.).

Now if you get GPAs above a 3.0 and a 30+ MCAT, you could get in somewhere if you apply early and broadly.

As far as TCOM goes, from what I remember TMDSAS does not do grade replacement, so that may make things a bit harder for you. Someone who knows more about TCOM could probably elaborate more on your chances.
Thank you for your insight hallowmann! It kind of sucks that TCOM will not do grade replacement for repeated courses. I guess my hopes of in state is kind of low.

So you're recommending that i retake all my courses that are lower than a B- before i apply to out of state? I would be retaking Multivariable calc, U.S. history, and intro to ancient rome in addition to the Gen chem 2 and o chem 2?

I have an additional question. For the Biology lab required for D.O. schools would i need to take intro bio lab or would any biology lab count? I'm signed up for a genetics lab which is under the bio section i believe.

To be clear, its not just retaking those classes...you need As in them when you retake them. don't retake 6 core classes at the same time if it will be too much.

Honestly I would just retake the C+ classes, turn those into As, then apply.

To be clear, its not just retaking those classes...you need As in them when you retake them. don't retake 6 core classes at the same time if it will be too much.

Honestly I would just retake the C+ classes, turn those into As, then apply.
Thanks ChrisGriffen! The thing is I know i can get A's in them if i retake them, but my University will not let me retake classes i got a C+ in. Do you think if i retook these at a community college and made A's would that be frowned upon considering that i'm not allowed to retake at UT?

You should definitely use a community college. It will cost far less and it will be easier. Med schools wont look down on it. Nobody can really afford to spend more than 4 years at a university anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
TCOM uses TMDSAS for GPA calculations, so you'd have to apply out of state (or wait until there is a private DO school in Texas).

OP, make sure you take note of this.

Reactions: 1 user