Would it be annoying to email my professor about my LoR?

Started by kfcchikin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kfcchikin

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I asked my prof last sem for a LoR, we were pretty close/friendly and he happily agreed. We met up to discuss it and he asked me to send him the details, which I did back in may. He agreed it'd be done by it's due date (mid Jan for my school committee). I can't tell if I'm just being neurotic and I know he said it'd be done but it's been like 5 months since I asked so I can't get rid of the concern that he's forgotten (I graduated and live across the country from my school so can't just go see him). Is it rude to email him about it 3 months before it's even due?
 
If he has 3 months left before the due date you agreed on, I wouldn't directly remind him about the letter. You could send him a friendly "checking in on life" email (and not mention the letter), which would still serve as a reminder without being potentially annoying.

Otherwise, I would wait until you're less than a month out from the due date before sending a true reminder.