Would it be in my best interest to..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PreVetGator

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently a freshman, undergrad, at UF and started working in a research lab last semester, so I administer medications to canines and assist in whelping and stuff, but I work alone, therefore, I never work with an actual veterinarian, however, I just got an opportunity to work at a veterinary hospital supervised by a veterinarian that wants us to learn from him, and I'd also get to watch surgeries and do the work of a technician vs just adminstering the occasion subq injection and giving oral and optic medications/bottle feeding puppies. I don't have the time to do both, so which would "look better" or be in my best interest of being a part of at this time?
 
You will need veterinary supervised experience for your application. Research looks good, but more as a plus, whereas the veterinary experience is required.
 
Definitely go for the vet work! If I had gotten the opportunity to be tech trained on the job I would have snagged it forthwith.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IMO I would go for the tech work. I got the opportunity to do that with a mixed animal practice for 2 years and the amount on knowledge I gained was amazing. I agree that research is more of a plus. The vet experience is required.