Would it even be worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yinyang23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little preface: I came into college with a guaranteed acceptance to med school. Though I knew I wanted to be a doctor, I wasn't very keen on matriculating to a BS/MD program but did so anyways to please my parents. I always had the intent to apply out of my program to a different medical school because of my lackluster college experience, but now that it has come the time to apply out, I don't know if I'd really be that competitive.

cGPA: 3.76
sGPA: 3.58
MCAT: yet to take, but averaging 33

President of 2 orgs on campus, resident assistant, research for 2 years (2 posters, no pubs), 100+ hours in volunteering and shadowing.

Will be pursuing a masters next year in epidemiology.

Are there any schools that fit my credentials? Or would I just be better off sucking it up and completing the BS/MD program?

Thanks in advance for your time and insight

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on which med school you are guarenteed. You should be able to get into a mid-tier program like Mount Sinai, NYU, BU, Pittsburgh, etc and a good chance at a top-tier (top 30) if some of those reseach projects turn into pubs, and you have other great ECs.

But for the sheer effort and immense cost of re-applying for med school, I would say that if you are at a lower-tier or low middle-tier school, it is worth applying again (ex. Upstate), but if you are at a mid-tier school (ex. BU), I would stay there. it's more important what you do in med school anyway, especially if they see that you were in a guarenteed program so didn't really have the choice to get into a better school.

Depends on which med school you are guarenteed. You should be able to get into a mid-tier program like Mount Sinai, NYU, BU, Pittsburgh, etc and a good chance at a top-tier (top 30) if some of those reseach projects turn into pubs, and you have other great ECs.

But for the sheer effort and immense cost of re-applying for med school, I would say that if you are at a lower-tier or low middle-tier school, it is worth applying again (ex. Upstate), but if you are at a mid-tier school (ex. BU), I would stay there. it's more important what you do in med school anyway, especially if they see that you were in a guarenteed program so didn't really have the choice to get into a better school.
wait... @ wilsonfan. u say top tier is top 30 but aren't most of the schools u called mid-tier programs in the top 20? Perhaps i am misunderstanding but that is besides the point.

@OP can u tell us which bs/md program it is? also why do u intend on pursuing a masters when you are in this bs/md program? do they allow this? To answer ur question, if you do apply you should apply broadly and early. mid tier (top 50) and low tier. maybe a few top tier (top 20).

Members don't see this ad :)
I think WilsonFan was a bit generous about your chances as well.

Unless the MD program to which you're admitted is bad (which none are, realistically), I'd just take the acceptance and run with it. If you take care of your end of the deal (high Step 1 scores, good recommendations, etc.), it's possible to match just about anywhere from any American MD school.

The flipside of this is if you want to go into academics. If you think you want to do research more than practice, it will definitely benefit you to attend a strong research school, in which case you might want to apply elsewhere.

Thanks so much for your replies!

I won't state the exact med-program to retain anonymity, but it's generally considered low-mid to low tier. Academics is an interest of mine which is why I considered applying out in the first place.

You have to work on your self-esteem, ynyang, because you're quite competitive. If you can score >32 on MCAT, you're fine for medium and even some high tier schools. So aim high!

A little preface: I came into college with a guaranteed acceptance to med school. Though I knew I wanted to be a doctor, I wasn't very keen on matriculating to a BS/MD program but did so anyways to please my parents. I always had the intent to apply out of my program to a different medical school because of my lackluster college experience, but now that it has come the time to apply out, I don't know if I'd really be that competitive.

cGPA: 3.76
sGPA: 3.58
MCAT: yet to take, but averaging 33

President of 2 orgs on campus, resident assistant, research for 2 years (2 posters, no pubs), 100+ hours in volunteering and shadowing.

Will be pursuing a masters next year in epidemiology.

Are there any schools that fit my credentials? Or would I just be better off sucking it up and completing the BS/MD program?

Thanks in advance for your time and insight