Would love some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngsnug

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know this might be long but please bear with me.

I graduated undergrad with a degree in biochemistry in 2017. Upon graduating, I enrolled in a 2 year SMP with a linkage for DO school. My first semester ended with a 2.78 GPA. I ended up withdrawing from the program in the second semester because even though I performed better, I was going through some personal things at the time. Since then, I took time away from school to work and build up some healthcare experience, amassing 300 scribing hours, 3000 hours as an MA, and took 18 credit hours of upper level sciences courses as a non degree student.

Then, last year, one of my friends helped me get a job at a tech company, and I thought it wouldn't hurt to explore something non healthcare related and learn some coding. Plus, it paid significantly more than my old MA job. I’ve decided that line of work isn’t for me so I ended up shadowing a podiatrist and found what they do super interesting, especially given that my MA job was at an ortho office.

My cGPA is 3.17, sGPA 2.94. I had a 501 MCAT score but its from over 3 years ago, so I would have to retake. But assuming I could score something similar, would my stats get me into a podiatry school? Would me withdrawing from an SMP have an effect on my admissions? What can I do to improve as a candidate?

Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

My cGPA is 3.17, sGPA 2.94. I had a 501 MCAT score but its from over 3 years ago, so I would have to retake. But assuming I could score something similar, would my stats get me into a podiatry school? -Yes, a similar MCAT score will def help in achieving II and acceptance. You can technically take an exam in April of this year and get the score by May and probably begin classes from this year. There is no reason to rush, though, and with a high MCAT score (505+), I would advise applying for the following cycle to get more scholarships $$$.

Would me withdrawing from an SMP have an effect on my admissions?- If you didn't fail the program, then I would assume you are fine. You have to keep in mind that Podiatry school will be more challenging than that SMP, so you will have to change your study habits and put in more hours to achieve at least a B average.

What can I do to improve as a candidate? Make sure to shadow more DPMs and know the positives and the negatives of this field before putting that seat deposit. You can read more on this on the various threads on this site (but make a decision by shadowing).
You should be happy with just working with the lower extremities forever if you want to pursue Podiatry. The only way to know this is through shadowing, i.e., don't have a false perception of the field by working for an Orthopedic surgeon.

I agree with everything dexter said.

Reactions: 1 user