Would love some insight.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fratstar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank y'all for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Without your stats its really hard to comment. If you KNOW you want to be a doctor, don't waste time take the required classes, take them over if you got C's, and make sure the rest of your app (EC's) are good.

You can get into medical school with any major. I just graduated with a BS in public health, and I am applying right now. Just make sure to get all of the requirements in for medical school, and retake classes that you did poorly in.

Hello everyone,
I'm set to begin my junior year at Tulane in their undergraduate Public Health program. I started off my freshman year taking some pre-med courses (bio, inorganic chem), but found my heart not really in it (and I did quite poorly), so I focused on my PH courses. However, now I'm really really wishing I had continued with pre-med and am coming to the realization that I definitely hope to be a doctor and would love to go to a DO school.
My favorite girl cousin recently started at Western and I went to her white coat ceremony and I really saw myself following in her footsteps in a few years, yet I know I have a GREAT deal of work to do to catch up. I guess I am wondering if y'all think that it would be worthwhile for me to continue with my public health courses, graduate, and then go back to school to finish the pre-med requirements or to pick up where I left off now. Should I jump back in or wait?

Thank y'all for your help.

Pre med requirements are minimal. Biology, Chem, O-Chem, Physics. Can you not add those courses on the side? Also, medical school is something that even when you are in it, you will ask yourself "what have I done?!" Make sure you just weren't enamored with the ceremony and that you are getting into medicine for the right reasons.