Would taking a 2.0 credit courseload instead of 2.5 lower my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SunnySuki

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking a course that I am doing really badly in right now and was going to drop it before the drop date so that it wouldn't show on my transcript (at my school, we can't retake courses to replace a poor grade).

Would having a 2.0 credit course load instead of a 2.5 credit course load lower my chances of getting into Canadian medical schools?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Credits mean different things at different schools, so your question is impossible to answer.

Where I did my undergrad, 12 credits was the minimum to be considered a full time student, a typical full-time student took probably 14-16, and the most I ever took in a semester was 23 (had to get special permission from the dean). On that scale, both 2 and 2.5 would be absurd.

Regardless, if you're still taking enough courses to be considered a full-time student, I think you'll be fine. Now, if you take the bare minimum term after term and take 7 years to finish undergrad... you may still be fine, but you'd better have a good reason.

Credits mean different things at different schools, so your question is impossible to answer.

Where I did my undergrad, 12 credits was the minimum to be considered a full time student, a typical full-time student took probably 14-16, and the most I ever took in a semester was 23 (had to get special permission from the dean). On that scale, both 2 and 2.5 would be absurd.

Regardless, if you're still taking enough courses to be considered a full-time student, I think you'll be fine. Now, if you take the bare minimum term after term and take 7 years to finish undergrad... you may still be fine, but you'd better have a good reason.

I don't think he's on normal semester credit system.

Places like Yale does 1 cr/class system.