would this class count towards science GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waytogo1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am thinking of taking couple of classes in the Biology Department at my school, but these classes are very "non-sciency"
They focus more on public health approach towards disease, such as looking at environmental or social context.

Would these classes count towards science GPA when applying to med school?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

If it has BIO in front of the number, it will count as a science course.

If it is exclusively from public health department then it is non-science. However, since it is from bio department I assume other wise then.

Members don't see this ad :)
So med school look at the overall science GPA, overall GPA (considering how many courses are in certain departments) rather than the class itself?

Do med school look at what classes you have taken? Or are they more focused on just the overall GPA?
Does it matter if you have taken an easier or less "sciency" bio course when calculating science GPA as long as it is in the biology department?

As long as the course title has Bio, Physics, Math, or Chem in it, then it'll count as a science course. Yes, they look at overall GPA and science GPA rather than individual classes. Engineering majors with lower GPAs than art majors would be at a technical disadvantage, even though their courses are arguably much harder.