Would you apply for third time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hockeydentist

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or would you wave the white flag of surrender?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes!

I'd also apply for a 4th time if i had to!

I guess it comes down to, if you want to become a dentist or not....

For those of us who want to become a dentist... i don't think it matters how long it takes or how many times... we will continue to apply....

Members don't see this ad :)
j8587 said:
I guess it comes down to, if you want to become a dentist or not....

For those of us who want to become a dentist... i don't think it matters how long it takes or how many times... we will continue to apply....

what you want to have happen and what actually happens are two different things.

If someone is having this much trouble getting in, how are they going to do once they are in? D-school is not like college, the latter, you get in, sleepwalk and graduate with a 3.0. D-School/Med-school are the most challenging workloads period.
my 2 cents

only if i felt like I would be able to improve the parts of my application that were weak from the first two tries.

hockeydentist said:
Or would you wave the white flag of surrender?

Sometimes people are late boomers or they manage to perform bad in their undergraduate studies for what ever reason. But realizing what they want to do in their life before it is too late is very respectable stance.

I encourage everybody in hear to work to the best of their ability and give 101% performance and show these professional schools what you are made of like a true Sikh warrior.

If you tackle the obstacles along the way, success will kiss your feet.

Apply a third time, and a fourth and a fifth! Whatever it takes, babyeee whatever it takes.

You can do it!!!
Apply on the first day possible and be ready to apply everywhere to maximize your chances. (well not EVERYWHERE but to A LOT)

i know of someone who applied 5 times. he was on the waitlist (on his 5th try) and had made up his mind that he wasnt going to apply anymore if he didnt get the 5th time.

now he was on the waitlist (#1 or #2) and wasnt having any luck. calls in on the 1st day of school to hear that he wasnt going to get in. so he goes to work that day thinking he was done with dentistry. shortly around 1pm, he gets a ohone call saying he was in.

bottom line is that you cannot lose hope. you gotta do whatever it takes. keep applying. you never know what may happen but if you dont apply you would never know if you would get in.

I plan on applying for a third time, but only after going back to get a master's degree.

HangOnSloopy said:
I plan on applying for a third time, but only after going back to get a master's degree.
I agree. If you are going to apply a third time, make sure you have some kind of grad degree to show for it. After a third time of not getting in, you have to look at your situation. I think if I was single with no respnsibility, I would definitely keep applying, but if I had a wife and kids, I would probably move on to something else to try and provide a better life than what a student-dad/pre-dent wannabe could provide.

i would apply a third time only if i have some indication that i can be accepted that third time. if schools tell me that i would have a very strong chance if i do such and such, then i would do such and such and reapply. if you don't get in the second time, it should be obvious why the schools didn't accept you. so you know what you should do. its true that people said if your dream is wanting to become a dentist, then keep reapplying until you get in. but the fact of the matter is, you are also getting older and valuable time is being lost. you might want to reconsider a different career. not all people that want to become dentist will become dentist.

after not getting accepted the first time, improvement on your application should already been made. best thing is to contact the schools, and ask then why you were rejected, and what you can do to make yourself a more competitive applicant. anyhow, good luck, i hope you get one acceptance so you don't have to reapply

HangOnSloopy said:
I am glad to hear that. Third time will show how committed you are, and will allow you to improve on the weaknesses from the previous cycle... that's where the masters degree comes in.

Which schools do you have in mind this time? - OSU again? ;)

Good Luck

Mo007 said:
I am glad to hear that. Third time will show how committed you are, and will allow you to improve on the weaknesses from the previous cycle... that's where the masters degree comes in.

Which schools do you have in mind this time? - OSU again? ;)

Good Luck

go for it, and good luck

john

There's a guy in my class who applied 4 or 5 times before getting accepted. I'm sure the admissions people were pretty skeptical about his ability to handle the workload because of his 3.0 college GPA. No, I don't have a story about how he turned out to be the smartest guy in the class - academic grades generally in the low B/C range - but he does fantastic work. I wouldn't hesitate to have him work on me. ...which is more than I can say for many of the gunners in my class. :laugh:

Actually, i am getting ready for my 4th time. But this time with a Masters degree from a top school.

BeachLuvr said:
Apply a third time, and a fourth and a fifth! Whatever it takes, babyeee whatever it takes.
and a sixth, and a seventh, and an eighth!!!! :laugh:

delicious said:
and a sixth, and a seventh, and an eighth!!!! :laugh:

I read somewhere that someone got in on their 10th try. Now thats serious committment!!

A guy I know, on his 3rd try, applied to 15 schools, and got into one (surprisingly not his state school).

Comet208 said:
I read somewhere that someone got in on their 10th try. Now thats serious committment!!

Yikes! No kidding - that's an entire decade of one's life spend just applying. Ouch.

Def apply again if its what you want. Spending a few grand applying a few times is really nothing compared to the satisfaction of enjoying a career for the next 30+ years of your life.